2021 Application Advice and Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1043114

Hello

I wanted to get some feedback on whether it is worth retaking my MCAT for the third time. As you can see below, I took a significant score hit the second time I took it. I do believe I can explain this in an interview by taking accountability and reflecting on what I learned from it. I didn't think mentioning it in an optional essay would be a good move just because I would rather talk about more meaningful things (but if it is worth bringing up in an optional essay, please do give your feedback). And given the COVID-19 situation, taking the exam another time would probably be delayed till August. Obviously, I cannot give you the entire scope of who I am as an applicant, but I do believe aside from my GPA and MCAT, the rest of my application is balanced (research, volunteering, rec letters and experiences that align with each other) and paints a picture that is true to who I am. Given the uncertainty with the application process this year, I was thinking of applying anyways (with these two MCAT scores) and taking a chance at Texas schools and select DO and out of state MD schools. Thank you!

Junior at a public university in Texas- Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.65, Science GPA: 3.50
July 2019: 508 (127/127/127/127)
January 2020: 502 (126/125/124/127)
Asian American Male (Indian) and Texas Resident

Members don't see this ad.

Hello

I wanted to get some feedback on whether it is worth retaking my MCAT for the third time. As you can see below, I took a significant score hit the second time I took it. I do believe I can explain this in an interview by taking accountability and reflecting on what I learned from it. I didn't think mentioning it in an optional essay would be a good move just because I would rather talk about more meaningful things (but if it is worth bringing up in an optional essay, please do give your feedback). And given the COVID-19 situation, taking the exam another time would probably be delayed till August. Obviously, I cannot give you the entire scope of who I am as an applicant, but I do believe aside from my GPA and MCAT, the rest of my application is balanced (research, volunteering, rec letters and experiences that align with each other) and paints a picture that is true to who I am. Given the uncertainty with the application process this year, I was thinking of applying anyways (with these two MCAT scores) and taking a chance at Texas schools and select DO and out of state MD schools. Thank you!

Junior at a public university in Texas- Major: Biochemistry
GPA: 3.65, Science GPA: 3.50
July 2019: 508 (127/127/127/127)
January 2020: 502 (126/125/124/127)
Asian American Male (Indian) and Texas Resident
You've cemented yourself as an applicant for DO programs. You're not in any contention for MD if you are serious about it (you had a small shot at 509). We'll take your word that your activities are balanced, but you could also be deluding yourself just as you did when you decided to retake your MCAT.

As mentioned before, trying to explain your bad score will sound like you're making excuses, and no one wants to hear it. Bringing it up is only going to focus more attention on how low your second attempt was.

Reactions: 1 user
Apply to your Texas MD schools and you may receive one or tow interviews. Concentrate on DO schools and apply to at least 8 and include TCOM, UIWSOM and Sam Houston State. For OOS DO schools consider these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
MU-COM
CCOM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all 4 schools)