2021 Pain Board Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeslaCoil

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wow. Just took the pain board exam. Anyone else feel mentally raped?

Members don't see this ad.

Just took it. It was hard. A lot of random questions. Ugh hopefully I passed. Just happy finished all my exams (including oral boards).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It was really hard.

I honestly don’t think studying MORE would’ve helped.

I took mine last year…. I remember feeling the exact same way walking out of that test. Most pass, you will too.
Now get back to work and generate some RVUs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
I took mine last year…. I remember feeling the exact same way walking out of that test. Most pass, you will to.
Roses are red, violets are blue, now get back to work, and generate some RVU’s.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
i used all the resources out there...Pass Machine and Board, Vitals and still felt underprepared. Not sure what else I could have done.

I took mine last year…. I remember feeling the exact same way walking out of that test. Most pass, you will too.
There is always next year and I can always go back to passing gas...

Reactions: 1 users
Just took it. It was hard. A lot of random questions. Ugh hopefully I passed. Just happy finished all my exams (including oral boards).
completely agree random

i used all the resources out there...Pass Machine and Board, Vitals and still felt underprepared. Not sure what else I could have done.
Is there a dateline on taking this thing to practice pain medicine? Is it even really required?

I thought it was pretty difficult with plenty of random questions. I might also just be burnt out from oral boards in quick succession

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a dateline on taking this thing to practice pain medicine? Is it even really required?
highly recommended to be ABPM certified. One thing you will realize is that there are a lot of shady pain doctors out there. Some have not even done a fellowship or have any training. You need to distinguish yourself from them.

Same. I did both pass machine and board vitals multiple times / read benzons essential of pain medicine and I still felt underprepared. Everyone I talked to who took the exam thought it was hard. Hope there is a large curve.

I am surprised everyone thought it was hard. There were a few hard questions, but it was a fair exam overall.

There is always one kid, universally loathed, who can be counted on to always raise his hand as the bell rings in Christmas vacation to eagerly alert the teacher than no homework has been assigned to class to complete over the holiday. Thanks for always being that guy.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
There is always one kid, universally loathed, who can be counted on to always raise his hand as the bell rings in Christmas vacation to eagerly alert the teacher than no homework has been assigned to class to complete over the holiday. Thanks for always being that guy.
That was quite frankly the easiest board exam I've ever taken in my life after my oral anesthesia boards (which was like having a fun conversation with a colleague) . I called my old friend, who is a pain attending, and reviewed for 2-3 hrs the morning of the exam with him. With his superior knowledge that he gained from his position at the local VA in the bay area. I think all the qbanks are a waste of time and money. Don't sweat it guys.

Reactions: 1 users
Something tells me your conversations are anything but fun....

I see such a cavalier attitude after a challenging exam in 2 groups of people -
1. those who probably went to Haa-vaad (and probably have no social skills or life)
2. those who failed the exam so miserably that they don't even recognize how crappy they did.

hopefully, you are in the former group.

The exam was actually very hard. I also thought it was very clinically irrelevant. For example, they would give a stem, lead you to believe you know the disease, but then instead of asking for the disease, would say, "this condition is seem commonly in which of the following?" and so you needed to know gender, age, ethnic penetration, which I think is garbage.

Hopefully those questions were experimental.

You should focus on cranking those RVUs though.

what's the deal about cranking out RVU's? Those are the worst pain jobs by the way. A slave driver owner pressuring you to do unnecessary procedures for his financial benefit.

what's the deal about cranking out RVU's? Those are the worst pain jobs by the way. A slave driver owner pressuring you to do unnecessary procedures for his financial benefit.
Depends on your setup. Mine pays me for those RVU’s….

I see such a cavalier attitude after a challenging exam in 2 groups of people -
1. those who probably went to Haa-vaad (and probably have no social skills or life)
2. those who failed the exam so miserably that they don't even recognize how crappy they did.

hopefully, you are in the former group.
lol what's with the Harvard hate?

He’s implying that Harvard grads are devoid of social skills..kind like zukerdouche who inadvertently ruined human interaction..and he’s probably right, to a degree

What other prep materials are there? I used Pass Machine + Board Vitals. I’m pretty convinced I failed.

ABA directory has been down all morning.... Maybe they might post sooner?

Man I studied hard for this exam and still failed.

• Care
Minimum passing score is 180. Mean is 250 and standard deviation is 50. My score report has a box explaining this. It also does show my percentile in addition to my score.

I passed. Used board vitals one time through and during fellowship was using the pass machine for their lectures and did some of their questions which I thought was okay but not as good as board vitals.

Same here passed. I would recommend doing board vitals and passmachine a few times.

Taking the test Sep 2022. What’s the best source of qs for the pain aba boards- Huntoon and Board Vitals?Anyone have any experience with the pass machine course as well?

Taking the test Sep 2022. What’s the best source of qs for the pain aba boards- Huntoon and Board Vitals?Anyone have any experience with the pass machine course as well?
search the forum, this has been answered way too many times. Exam isn't hard at all.