Pain boards 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itzamemario

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to register? It just keeps sending me back to the ABAGO site.

Members don't see this ad.

haven't tried, still trying to decide if i can afford another $2k down the drain this year. :(

what is everyone using to study?

Members don't see this ad :)
From someone who took and passed last year:

Huntoon question book >>>> any other resource right now. Lots of questions that seem out of left field in the book that showed up on exam. Way more so than board vitals qbank.

Reactions: 3 users
What other resources are people using besides Huntoon and Board Vitals?

Besides the five practice questions that the ABA listed on their website, are there any old ABA pain medicine questions floating around the internet somewhere?

What's a good percentage correct on board vitals to pass this? Cannot wait to get this done.

Is anyone else entirely over this whole process? I'm still so wiped from oral boards, and I'm sitting here reading Huntoon where one of the correct answer choices is "Maddie needs a band-aid to make her booboo all better." What in the actual **** are we accomplishing here.

Reactions: 6 users
Is anyone else entirely over this whole process? I'm still so wiped from oral boards, and I'm sitting here reading Huntoon where one of the correct answer choices is "Maddie needs a band-aid to make her booboo all better." What in the actual **** are we accomplishing here.
I know. Any "evidence base" that people who pass this thing help more people and commit less fraud than people who don't?

Reactions: 1 user
Oh don’t worry. That feeling intensifies by 1000 after you walk out of the actual door of the actual test.

Typical board nonsense. Based on non clinical nonsense. 23 y/o pregnant female with h/o malignant hyperthermia, heroin abuse presents dilated and effaced. You perform an epidural with fentanyl and ropivicaine. What findings are most likely seen on fetal heart monitor?

Good luck tomorrow, hopefully it's similar to the ITE!

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't feel great about that...But I guess you're never supposed to after these things. Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I left anesthesia boards feeling like I knew I passed. Don’t feel good about pain boards….

A grandpa and a grandson go out and get sunburnt but only grandpa has sunburn pain. Why?

:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 users
Several questions I can’t even look up the answer because they were so far out of left field. Several easy questions I missed as well. :(

A grandpa and a grandson go out and get sunburnt but only grandpa has sunburn pain. Why?

:rolleyes:
😂 Patient with fibro and cognitive difficulties. Are you going to tell them to quit smoking, quit drinking or lay off the carbs? 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

And how am I supposed to choose between cheese, wine, and MSG? That's my entire weekend.

I’m not sure why but that makes me feel better.
There was another guy in the same thread who passed and was 33rd percentile, so you should feel even better. Pass rate is usually around 75 to 80 percent, don't know what it was last year.

Last edited:
Not that you all have taken the exam, which resource and/or question bank do you recommend?
I used Huntoon and Board Vitals and thought they were useful thank God. I also listened to all 77 Pass Machine lectures but thought they were pretty low yield, I like to learn and review things systematically though, so they were good for that purpose.

Huntoon and BV here as well. Can't imagine anything more would have helped much. Definitely subtle things in Huntoon that popped up which weren't in BV too.

😂 Patient with fibro and cognitive difficulties. Are you going to tell them to quit smoking, quit drinking or lay off the carbs? 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
was grandpa on amitriptyline?

And how am I supposed to choose between cheese, wine, and MSG? That's my entire weekend.
they probably wanted MSG, but thats a bogus claim, based on a study of 4 people that said their fibro got better getting off MSG.

there are societal reasons as to why MSG is so maligned.

Chinese restaurant syndrome​

noun

dated, sometimes offensive
: a group of symptoms held to affect susceptible persons eating food heavily seasoned with monosodium glutamate : MSG SYMPTOM COMPLEX
NOTE: The term Chinese restaurant syndrome was coined in the late 1960s following reports of people having bad reactions to food seasoned with monosodium glutamate in Chinese restaurants. Research in the years since has failed to establish a clear link between those adverse reactions and the consumption of MSG, and the term Chinese restaurant syndrome has been criticized as misleading and potentially offensive. It has been replaced in medical literature by MSG symptom complex.

however....

you dont want to go down this pathway.

I find it interesting that everyone can say whatever they want and state whatever assumptions they want …..as along as they are talking about a white male.

But if a female is being discussed and/or a minority then automatically no one else is allowed to speak.

More than a bit hypocritical the way that democrats talk about free speech.

Last edited:
um...

not assumptions.

history on what happened, in this case involving MSG and the societal racial undertones.

suppression of minorities should be prevented. all people should be treated equally.

unfortunately, that paradigm does not exist in our current society, and existential forces are actively working against equality and promoting previous power structure ie MAGA.

• Dislike

however....

The bottom line​

MSG is a popular food additive that enhances the umami flavor of foods.

Based on the current research, there’s not enough evidence to suggest that MSG consumption is associated with headaches or migraine attacks. Still, more research is needed in this area.

MSG does not appear to be harmful. If you believe you’re sensitive to its effects, it’s best to avoid it, especially considering that foods that contain MSG are typically not good for your health.

What is life like when everything is viewed through the lense of race?

It must be exhausting.

Reactions: 5 users

The bottom line​

MSG is a popular food additive that enhances the umami flavor of foods.

Based on the current research, there’s not enough evidence to suggest that MSG consumption is associated with headaches or migraine attacks. Still, more research is needed in this area.

MSG does not appear to be harmful. If you believe you’re sensitive to its effects, it’s best to avoid it, especially considering that foods that contain MSG are typically not good for your health.
I hope the right answer was red wine then, cuz that's what I picked.

What is life like when everything is viewed through the lense of race?

It must be exhausting
Race is considered America's original sin.

It's fine to live in obliviousness, particularly if one is a member of the group that is in power. But for minorities be it women or race or otherwise, prejudice is the way it is.

Still, America is the best because - until recently - there is always the hope of affecting change for the better.

I would throw it back - how horrible it is when one's view of society is exposed to the truth and it is not the perfect one that one has believed all their lives....

• Dislike
Race is considered America's original sin.

It's fine to live in obliviousness, particularly if one is a member of the group that is in power. But for minorities be it women or race or otherwise, prejudice is the way it is.

Still, America is the best because - until recently - there is always the hope of affecting change for the better.

I would throw it back - how horrible it is when one's view of society is exposed to the truth and it is not the perfect one that one has believed all their lives....
Asians suffer from racism so bad they're leading all other races in income. They graduate more kids from college than anyone else, and they make more money on avg.

They DO suffer from affirmative action though...I'm sure you hate that stuff...

I think we can all agree that based on the conversation so far...the boards is a total crapshoot.

I used Huntoon and bought the Dannemiller videos. The videos were good since I spend about 60 mins in the car per day. But the delivery platform kinda sucks. And overall I'd say it wasn't worth the $700 bucks unless you get it covered by CME (which I did).

Consider using the book pain management secrets. It’s simple, short, and to the point. Only resource I used during fellowship and for the boards. Crushed the ITE and thought many of the questions came directly from bullet point info from the book when I took the boards. Was the only board exam I left feeling confident I actually passed.

Asians suffer from racism so bad they're leading all other races in income. They graduate more kids from college than anyone else, and they make more money on avg.

They DO suffer from affirmative action though...I'm sure you hate that stuff...
theres a lot that is glossed over in this comment. all ill say is money isnt everything.

but maybe, in the US, it is. and maybe that gives certain members of the ruling class the right to denigrate and to commit open acts of violence against minorities.

at least it seems to give some people the impression that racial prejudice doesnt occur against asian americans.

===

getting back to OP - remember that there will be a subsection of questions in that exam that are experimental and are not used for scoring the exam. these always seem to be most memorable because of their content. i remember some question about acupuncture on my exam many years ago...

• Dislike
theres a lot that is glossed over in this comment. all ill say is money isnt everything.

but maybe, in the US, it is. and maybe that gives certain members of the ruling class the right to denigrate and to commit open acts of violence against minorities.

at least it seems to give some people the impression that racial prejudice doesnt occur against asian americans.
"Racism is America's original sin."

Slavery is history. Africans enslaved Africans, Native Americans enslaved Native Americans, Asia imported slaves from the Middle East and Africa...As long as humans have been on this Earth, slaves have been bought/sold and traded.

Africans are enslaving Africans TODAY. Sex trade, child labor slavery, ritual slavery and simple forced adult labor. This is Africans doing this to Africans.

In Africa, 7 out of every 1000 people is a victim of modern slavery. There are over 650k people living in forced labor camps.

Racism isn't America's original sin...It was just another sin in a very competitive and savage world.

Pliny the Elder wrote about slaves crossing the Indian Ocean FFS, as well as a plethora of slave trading routes in the ME and elsewhere in the developing world. How many slaves died at Thermopylae? I guess slavery is the original sin of the Greeks too?

It was awful, but in no way unique to the US considering we only brought 6% of the slaves from West Africa to the US. You do know that right? The amount of slaves that came to the US is about 6% overall.

Slavery is terrible and inhumane. Can't think of many things that are worse than that...

The US is the least racist country on Earth. We elected a biracial president twice.

You how often white people get their ass beaten to a pulp by minorities in the form of hate crimes that no one reports? That happens all the time. A random act of violence by a white psychopath is called a hate crime if the victim is a minority. A crazy white guy beats TS out of an Asian man in NYC and we give a label it doesn't deserve. In 1996 or 1997, my white neighbor was jumped in the parking lot at the Savannah Mall by a gang of Asian teenagers that called themselves "The Asian Boys." They jumped my friend Will because he was white, alone and walking to his car in the parking lot. Around 5 or 6 Asian kids jumped him and beat his ass because he's white. He was 16 or 17 at the time. They were all late teens early 20s.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 5 users
You how often white people get their ass beaten to a pulp by minorities in the form of hate crimes that no one reports? That happens all the time. A random act of violence by a white psychopath is called a hate crime if the victim is a minority. A crazy white guy beats TS out of an Asian man in NYC and we give a label it doesn't deserve. In 1996 or 1997, my white neighbor was jumped in the parking lot at the Savannah Mall by a gang of Asian teenagers that called themselves "The Asian Boys." They jumped my friend Will because he was white, alone and walking to his car in the parking lot. Around 5 or 6 Asian kids jumped him and beat his ass because he's white. He was 16 or 17 at the time. They were all late teens early 20s.
cool story bro.

the rest of your post - pure denialism. good luck with that.

• Hmm
  • Dislike
cool story bro.

the rest of your post - pure denialism. good luck with that.
Everything he says is 100% truth. And verifiable.

If you want to look at the slavery part in an academic way, go read the work of Thomas Sowell, a black professor at Stanford.

You are the one living in your little echo chamber, holding your ears shut, when you are exposed to undeniable truths that conflict with the self serving lies and propaganda of the Democratic Party.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
This thread took the craziest left turn... Good lord.

Also, anyone else get the Ziconotide questions? Couldn't remember if it was sodium or calcium channel, thankfully another question later on answered it for me :cool:

This thread took the craziest left turn... Good lord.

Also, anyone else get the Ziconotide questions? Couldn't remember if it was sodium or calcium channel, thankfully another question later on answered it for me :cool:
As a former speaker for Prialt, it is a pre-synaptic voltage gated calcium channel blocker from the conus magus snail.