*** 2022-2023 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know why only "alternate list" decisions show up in the CYMS tool? Are waitlists and alternate lists different? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know why only "alternate list" decisions show up in the CYMS tool? Are waitlists and alternate lists different? Thanks!
Alternate list == waitlist. And CYMS might not be updated

Reactions: 1 user
You and me both Gourdy, but I’ve heard it SO much on the interview trail 🤯
Is this a regional thing? I can't remember this sticking out on the interview trail, and have never heard anyone in my program use it 😂

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there's any benefit or purpose to using CYMS prior to April 15?

Does anyone know if there's any benefit or purpose to using CYMS prior to April 15?
It lets program directors more information about their current pool of accepted applicants, potentially opening the door to additional acceptances to other peer-applicants. You are able to change your choice in a daily basis and it is not committal to you. However, if every body was using it, it would be very helpful to every body, just like placing oil into the national admissions machine.

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone have an idea when you can expect to hear from MCW's MD/PhD after receiving the MD acceptance?

Does anyone know if Einstein MSTP sends rejections, or does everyone get put on the waitlist?

Anyone have information about Michigan? They told us end of February for first decisions at interviews and the last two years first decisions came out on President's Day. Nothing in the acceptances thread yet though.

also wondering about umass. have no idea when their last interview date is and they are basically non responsive by email. any info would be greatly appreciated

Anyone have information about Michigan? They told us end of February for first decisions at interviews and the last two years first decisions came out on President's Day. Nothing in the acceptances thread yet though.
I know at least one person from the last interview day who has been accepted. I interviewed second to last day and haven't heard anything yet. In addition, I think the UMich Med Admissions twitter stated that they sent out their first wave of acceptances to the Oct/Nov MSTP interviewees a while back. Hoping we get a positive response soon!

Edit: Here's the link if you're interested.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has received an A over the phone from uchicago received anything through email.

I know at least one person from the last interview day who has been accepted. I interviewed second to last day and haven't heard anything yet. In addition, I think the UMich Med Admissions twitter stated that they sent out their first wave of acceptances to the Oct/Nov MSTP interviewees a while back. Hoping we get a positive response soon!

Edit: Here's the link if you're interested.

Thanks didn't see that twitter post. Is "last interview" 1/19?
Also do you know if they do phone or email? Would be nice to neurotically check only 1 thing lol.

also wondering about umass. have no idea when their last interview date is and they are basically non responsive by email. any info would be greatly appreciated
Their last interview date was 1/9 I believe, I interviewed then and just received a waitlist offer a few days ago

I haven't gotten anything on email.
Neither have I, just the call. They did say on the call i would get the email last week but haven’t yet, so just assuming everything is busy right now.

This is a general question-- what do you pack for a second look weekend? Like what is the attire like? Interview suit? Business casual? Casual? Obviously a lot of it is weather dependent but I am just not sure as to the vibe of second look visits.

I think so. The UM MSTP website states 1/18-1/19 is the last interview date. Im not sure though given what @SnglCellLuvr said.
I think there's two separate conversations here happening about school that both have UM acronyms haha, UMich had their last interview date 1/18-1/19, UMass had their last one 1/9

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks didn't see that twitter post. Is "last interview" 1/19?
Also do you know if they do phone or email? Would be nice to neurotically check only 1 thing lol.

Funny enough, I just got waitlisted over email. I think they will call for an acceptance, though! Good luck!

Funny enough, I just got waitlisted over email. I think they will call for an acceptance, though! Good luck!
Same lol. That email was very poorly worded.

• Haha
This is a general question-- what do you pack for a second look weekend? Like what is the attire like? Interview suit? Business casual? Casual? Obviously a lot of it is weather dependent but I am just not sure as to the vibe of second look visits.
I am also wondering this? I was planning on just business casual.

Same lol. That email was very poorly worded.
I had the same exact reaction. It seemed like it was a rejection email lmao except for that one sentence

I am also wondering this? I was planning on just business casual.
The emails I've gotten about second looks have all indicated either casual, or very slightly above casual, I'd say whatever you wear to lab is probably good

Reactions: 2 users
The emails I've gotten about second looks have all indicated either casual, or very slightly above casual, I'd say whatever you wear to lab is probably good

lmao I wear leggings and sweatshirts to lab not infrequently

• Haha
lmao I wear leggings and sweatshirts to lab not infrequently
Fair lmao, that would probably fine for the student events, I feel like business casual would be good for the faculty/director meetings at this point

Has anyone heard back from northwestern since their last interview date in January?

Has anyone heard back from northwestern since their last interview date in January?
I haven't heard anything since they sent their Staying Connected email at the beginning of February

Has anyone gotten a post-II R from Baylor? Looks like they've already sent out As and WLs so just wondering when to expect the R to come in ...

I interviewed at that session and received an acceptance on February 6th

Fair lmao, that would probably fine for the student events, I feel like business casual would be good for the faculty/director meetings at this point
Packing for my first second look has made me doubt that i even know what business casual is :rofl: I'm absolutely stuffing this carry-on with like half the clothes i own, ranging in formality from a sports coat+tie to the comfy polos I wear to lab

Can't believe people had to travel for interviews in years past tbh, that would've sucked a lot more than zoom

• Haha
  • Care
Has anybody heard from Dartmouth post-interview? (I: 12/6)
According to my sleuthing they should've said smtg this week but no dice.

Has anybody heard from Dartmouth post-interview? (I: 12/6)
According to my sleuthing they should've said smtg this week but no dice.
I received a little care package from them early Feb that said they're still thinking of us, but I'm not sure how they're doing these days in terms of finalizing decisions. I'm tempted to reach out to them but I don't want to be pushy, and calling/emailing won't change anything except possibly make me feel a little better (or worse). Also dying to get an answer back soon. Maybe this will be the week? Since the program is so small it's hard to find historic data from accepted applicants

I received a little care package from them early Feb that said they're still thinking of us, but I'm not sure how they're doing these days in terms of finalizing decisions. I'm tempted to reach out to them but I don't want to be pushy, and calling/emailing won't change anything except possibly make me feel a little better (or worse). Also dying to get an answer back soon. Maybe this will be the week? Since the program is so small it's hard to find historic data from accepted applicants
Ok great yes same boat. It looks like a bunch of MDs got decisions back this past Friday but I know that doesn't necessarily mean much for us. Fingers crossed for this week, good luck!

• Care
has anyone heard anything from Boston University? I interviewed in October, haven't heard a peep since, and it's making me anxious (doesn't take much these days)

Has anyone heard anything from Indiana University? I interviewed in November and haven't heard anything since...

I interviewed at a school in October and have yet to hear anything back. Is it worth asking when a decision might be reached? I'm planning on uploading an update/letter of interest to their portal but I'm not sure if that's something to include in my LOI or email admissions separately.

I interviewed at a school in October and have yet to hear anything back. Is it worth asking when a decision might be reached? I'm planning on uploading an update/letter of interest to their portal but I'm not sure if that's something to include in my LOI or email admissions separately.
I think emailing the md phd general email for the school, or one of the admins for the program is totally fine (unless they explicitly said not to). I’ve done that for a few schools. And I would def not include anything timeline related in the LOI

I think emailing the md phd general email for the school, or one of the admins for the program is totally fine (unless they explicitly said not to). I’ve done that for a few schools. And I would def not include anything timeline related in the LOI
Thanks for the advice! How did you word your timeline emails?

Thanks for the advice! How did you word your timeline emails?
My name is lemon slice, and I am a current applicant to the MD/PhD program at X.
I hope this email finds you well. I had the privilege to interview with X on 00/00/00, and I am following up to inquire about the status of my application as I am still (very) interested in the program. I would appreciate any information you are able to provide. Thank you very much for your time and consideration!
Best,
lemon slice
I would also include ur AMCAS ID somewhere

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone, I am back from the silence of first year med school. I'm happy to answer questions regarding MD/PhD training, however, I can only provide perspective on my first year and the transition.

A bit about myself. I applied last year with a 3.19 GPA, two years of postbacc research experience (one through an NIH PREP), I marked URM on my application, and submitted a 506 MCAT score. I ended up turning in 14 secondaries, heard back from 6 programs for interview (including my top 3), and was accepted to four (including my top 2). Timewise, I got the bulk of my acceptances by December and the last one late March.

Whoever you are, don't be discouraged by the stats or the timeline of other applicants. You will be accepted when the time is right. And just like passing your med school classes = MD, one A also = MD.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Anyone who interviewed with Miami at any point in the app cycle hear anything yet?
I withdrew after my MD interview with them and before my MD/PhD interview (I only applied MD/PhD but they had me sign up for the two interviews separately), and I'm now listed as waitlisted on CYMS, so kinda confusing all around :rofl:

nearing 6 months since my OSU interview with no decision. lol <- this is me drowning, not laughing

• Care
Reactions: 6 users