2022-2023 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @dooda25 for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Tulane Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 words)

2. What disparities in health do you believe are pertinent to the New Orleans patient population? How would you attempt to address them as a medical student at Tulane? You may support your answer by using past involvement working in a similar patient population to compare and/or describe your interest in any student activities offered at Tulane or in New Orleans. (150 words)

3. Who knows you best and how would they describe you? (150 words)

4. What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (No word max)

5. Please list any leadership positions (clubs, organizations, paid work) you may have held. (100 words)

6. Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interest. (150 words)

7. (OPTIONAL) Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but not limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background. (60 words)

8. In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (No word max)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Tulane University School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone here applying early decision? If so, have you already submitted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unsure if I should talk about my sexuality in the diversity prompt being that Tulane is pretty deep south. Any thoughts on this?
It’s a very liberal institution. As is New Orleans as a city—you will be fine.

Did three years of graduate work there and sexuality was the least of anyone’s interest, beyond the reproductive kind lol

Reactions: 1 user
Could you post the prompts please?
Haven’t received the secondary yet

Spoke too soon...received this morning. Prompts:

Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 words)

What disparities in health do you believe are pertinent to the New Orleans patient population? How would you attempt to address them as a medical student at Tulane? You may support your answer by using past involvement working in a similar patient population to compare and/or describe your interest in any student activities offered at Tulane or in New Orleans. (150 words)

Who knows you best and how would they describe you? (150 words)

What have you been pursuing since you graduated? (No word max)

Please list any leadership positions (clubs, organizations, paid work) you may have held. (100 words)

Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interest. (150 words)

Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but nt limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background. (OPTIONAL) (60 words)

In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (No word max)

Last edited:

Tulane University School of Medicine’s mission statement states: We improve human health and foster healthy communities through discovery and translation of the best science into clinical practice and education; to deliver the highest quality patient care and prepare the next generation of distinguished clinical and scientific leaders. Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 words)

What disparities in health do you believe are pertinent to the New Orleans patient population? How would you attempt to address them as a medical student at Tulane? You may support your answer by using past involvement working in a similar patient population to compare and/or describe your interest in any student activities offered at Tulane or in New Orleans. (150 words)

Please list any leadership positions (clubs, organizations, paid work) you may have held. (100 words)

Tulane University School of Medicine values the diversity of its patients, faculty, staff, and students. Do you identify with a particular group that you believe is underrepresented among medical professionals? These include groups oriented around, but nt limited to: ethnicity, race, sexuality, religion, disability, and economic background. (OPTIONAL) (60 words)

In what ways did the COVID-19 pandemic alter/interrupt your medical school application? (No word max)
Where is the "what have you been pursuing since you graduated" prompt? I only see the first three under application info

Members don't see this ad :)
what's considered the 1st batch for Tulane, I just took my casper so I wont be complete for 2-3 weeks.

@wysdoc

I just wanted to say this is interesting because last year I was verified early July and didn't get the secondary until August 5th I think, and this year I've already gotten the secondary, I wonder why that is

I just wanted to say this is interesting because last year I was verified early July and didn't get the secondary until August 5th I think, and this year I've already gotten the secondary, I wonder why that is
you were verified much earlier no?

Still haven't received a secondary and was verified 06/02. For those of you that have already gotten secondaries, are you applying ED or RD?

Still haven't received a secondary and was verified 06/02. For those of you that have already gotten secondaries, are you applying ED or RD?

My friend who is RD got one but I haven’t. There must be some sort of order to it. Maybe last name?

what's considered the 1st batch for Tulane, I just took my casper so I wont be complete for 2-3 weeks.
If any consolation, I believe they just wait for primary, secondary, and LoRs before reviewing. CASPER is encouraged not but required.

How are you all answering the "Who knows you best and how would they describe you?" prompt?
I said who knows me best and said how they would describe me. I then told a story about me exhibiting those traits. So for me, I said I’m compassionate and hardworking. Then, told a story about me being his caregiver etc etc

RD secondary received today at 7:56 am PST. OOS. Verified 6/16.

I said who knows me best and said how they would describe me. I then told a story about me exhibiting those traits. So for me, I said I’m compassionate and hardworking. Then, told a story about me being his caregiver etc etc
You sound like the aamc explanations with that one lol. But I appreciate the advice!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
You sound like the aamc explanations with that one lol. But I appreciate the advice!
No prob, I just wanted to emphasize that you have to be careful answering it because you can’t say your X trait without showing it. Show don’t tell still applies here

The amount of research I've done on health disparities in New Orleans in the last two days, I could write a dissertation

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The amount of research I've done on health disparities in New Orleans in the last two days, I could write a dissertation
same. I am having trouble though finding some of the community outreach programs for tulane though as I am a bit confused on what ones are student community outreach or programs the school helps sponser and stuff. Wish there was a clear list of student organizations and community outreach

For those of you working on the secondary, for the prompt asking who knows us best, are you referring to one specific person (e.g. my sibling) or a group of people (e.g. my family/friends)? Confused if there's a "right" way to answer lol

For those of you working on the secondary, for the prompt asking who knows us best, are you referring to one specific person (e.g. my sibling) or a group of people (e.g. my family/friends)? Confused if there's a "right" way to answer lol
I personally did a group of people.

Also for those that completed their application, the confirmation email says that there will be a red exclamation mark on the portal that turns green when you've been assigned a reviewer. Does anyone know where this is located for curiosity's sake?

The prompts that ask us to list activities (leadership/hobbies), do we literally just list them without describing them? And is it ok to include activities that are not on my primary? Thank you!

The prompts that ask us to list activities (leadership/hobbies), do we literally just list them without describing them? And is it ok to include activities that are not on my primary? Thank you!
I literally just listed them and that was it. And of course, I included 3 hobbies that weren't on my primary.

Also for those that completed their application, the confirmation email says that there will be a red exclamation mark on the portal that turns green when you've been assigned a reviewer. Does anyone know where this is located for curiosity's sake?
I heard that the system in past cycles used to have this feature and the new one doesn't, so I assume they're using an email template from past cycles.

I only used one person, but i dont think it matters either way.

was wondering the same. historically, how many days after receiving a secondary would you have to submit in order to make 1st batch?

Just got the secondary. I was verified 6/4. This secondary is a quite a doozy. I won't be able to copy and paste other essays. Ill have to do my due diligence.

I literally just listed them and that was it. And of course, I included 3 hobbies that weren't on my primary.
Ya I got some hobbies I want to list as well but wondering how nerdy I should be with my hobbies XD

Are headshots required for Tulane’s secondary?