2022-2023 Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How is everyone answering the "What disparities in health do you believe are pertinent to the New Orleans patient population?" Like can we say racial disparities and then elaborate on what we mean?

Members don't see this ad.

What is everyone using for examples of leadership positions? I never joined any clubs in undergrad and I'm not sure what other experiences would constitute a leadership position

What is everyone using for examples of leadership positions? I never joined any clubs in undergrad and I'm not sure what other experiences would constitute a leadership position
Same. I own a business so I’m listing that as leadership. And I train other employees at work. I wasn’t in any clubs in college.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How is everyone answering the "What disparities in health do you believe are pertinent to the New Orleans patient population?" Like can we say racial disparities and then elaborate on what we mean?
Are you from New Orleans?

Nope, I'm on the West Coast
Hmm I guess maybe just research basics on health disparities in NOLA… They are prevalent. Find a way to connect with the mission of Tulane in relation to treating underserved populations.

Reactions: 1 user
Supervisor at a job? anything like that.

Im a non trad so I have a few jobs as a supervisor and I was president in some clubs in college.
If you not have any dig deep and find anything that fits with it.

That's what I did, and I was as specific as possible to the New Orleans demographic.

That's what I did, and I was as specific as possible to the New Orleans demographic.

There is actually a lot of research on health disparities in NOLA.
I spent an hour looking through a lot of interesting data. The hard part for me is showing what I can as med student to help.
A lot of the problems are systemic and will not be fixed easily.

Last edited:
I spent an hour looking through. A lot of interesting data. The hard part for me is showing what I can as med student to help.
I'm having trouble with the same thing - I don't want to come off as naive lol, especially as someone not from New Orleans

Just curious: is anyone NOT taking CASPer/Duet?

I’ve heard so many mixed reviews and I just feel my answers for a quick 90 minute test don’t determine anything about my actual personality, emotional intelligence, any of that. I don’t want to risk an experimental test interfering with getting an interview or an acceptance.

Obviously, if it were required I would take it, but it seems that even Tulane isn’t sure about mandating it yet so that’s a red flag for me.

Anyone in the same boat?

I’ve heard so many mixed reviews and I just feel my answers for a quick 90 minute test don’t determine anything about my actual personality, emotional intelligence, any of that. I don’t want to risk an experimental test interfering with getting an interview or an acceptance.

Obviously, if it were required I would take it, but it seems that even Tulane isn’t sure about mandating it yet so that’s a red flag for me.

Anyone in the same boat?
I've had the admissions director come speak before and he emphasized that it was optional and they just encourage it because they want to see the data if it's available. I don't think it's a big deal to skip out on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had the admissions director come speak before and he emphasized that it was optional and they just encourage it because they want to see the data if it's available. I don't think it's a big deal to skip out on it.

Oh this is a relief! I’ve spoken to him as well but not about CASPer.

Thanks for your input!

Anyone in the same boat?
I took Casper but have yet to take duet. I dont know if I want to take it.

• Hmm
Just got confirmation that my file is complete and they will begin the review process. Interviews to come in the next 3 to 5 weeks.

Just got confirmation that my file is complete and they will begin the review process. Interviews to come in the next 3 to 5 weeks.
Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 6.34.17 PM.png

was it this one, or is there another email after telling you that your app is under review?

View attachment 356890
was it this one, or is there another email after telling you that your app is under review?

No it’s a different one. This one states “we would like to inform you that your application is complete and user review. You will receive another email once a decision has been made.”

I spent an hour looking through a lot of interesting data. The hard part for me is showing what I can as med student to help.
I agree that a lot of problems are not easily fixable. I don't think we have to come up with an end-all solution for the problems. For instance, Tulane is huge on volunteerism and giving back to the community, so I just incorporated that into my response.

I agree that a lot of problems are not easily fixable. I don't think we have to come up with an end-all solution for the problems. For instance, Tulane is huge on volunteerism and giving back to the community, so I just incorporated that into my response.
Yeah that's what im doing as well. Im relating it to some of the volunteering that I have done.

Just submitted my secondary. I can say that out all of the secondaries I have done so far, this one is currently my favorite.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! For some reason I am unable to submit my secondary application. It says my photo upload is not there. Does anyone have this same issue or know how to resolve this? Thanks!

No it’s a different one. This one states “we would like to inform you that your application is complete and user review. You will receive another email once a decision has been made.”
+1, OOS, Got this today.

I also was placed under review today. Last year I was under review in October after submitting in August and was placed on hold in December

Also, from their website:
Interview Invites are sent any time from July - February, no matter when the application was completed. No News is Good News-your application is either under review or in the 'queue' to be invited. Invites are sent out in blocks throughout the cycle. We review and invite chronologically.

Those placed under review, are you guys RD or ED?

Anyone in the same boat?
Tulane will not give you an advantage for taking CASPER. They said at least for TUSOM, it's experimental and mainly for data collection for future use. I would not worry about it. You should be able to find a video of an interview with TUSOM ADCOM somewhere online.

was my photo always in the corner with a green line? weird that im just noticing it.

how do we even answer this question ... like is it asking for cliche type of answer like dedicated etc or something random/unique?
I asked my coworkers what they thought of me then used an example they gave me and put it as my response.

Does anyone know where this red exclamation point is supposed to be in the portal? Don't see any exclamation points under status, but I never received an email about being under review.
I was just coming here to ask the exact same question. I honestly don't see anything on any of the pages that looks like an exclamation mark.

Does anyone know where this red exclamation point is supposed to be in the portal? Don't see any exclamation points under status, but I never received an email about being under review.

There is a comment earlier in this thread that I remember saying that the red exclamation was a feature of a previous portal iteration.

I don’t think that the new portal shows that feature.

I never saw it either, also I submitted 6/30 and still no under review email

I never saw it either, also I submitted 6/30 and still no under review email
The red exclamation mark is from their old portal, it doesn’t exist anymore. They send another email once you’re under review

Any other ED applicants here: how long did it take you to go under review after you submitted your secondary?

I submitted on Saturday and currently waiting to go under review.

Any other ED applicants here: how long did it take you to go under review after you submitted your secondary?

I submitted on Saturday and currently waiting to go under review.
I submitted 6/30 and received an email saying I'm under review today. On average, it seems it's taking folks ~7-10 days so far. It'll probably take more time to reach this point as the cycle continues.