2022 Residency Programs Accreditation with Warning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kazill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking through the recently released accreditation data from the ACGME there are 11 programs that currently have accreditation with warning status:

Albany Medical Center
Carle Foundation Hospital (only one that is "initial accreditation w/ warning" rather than continuing accreditation)
Temple University Hospital
Tufts Medical Center
Tulane University
University of Arizona - Tucson
University of Arkansas
University of Chicago
University of Illinois - Chicago
University of Louisville
Westchester Medical Center

Tulane's issues are well publicized already (Accreditation and ACGME Updates) but the rest of these there isn't clear information about. As someone who interviewed at some of these programs and is formulating a rank list it would be helpful if there's anyone who, under the useful anonymity of SDN, can provide insight into why some of these programs have warnings.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am also trying to understand how seriously we should take the accreditation warnings and probationary statuses. Does this indicate possible ineptitude and/or malignancy by the program? How concerning is it if the warnings also existed for more than one year?

I am also trying to understand how seriously we should take the accreditation warnings and probationary statuses. Does this indicate possible ineptitude and/or malignancy by the program? How concerning is it if the warnings also existed for more than one year?
Most programs bend over triple backwards to not get these warnings- like weekly meetings and multiple phone calls until the issue goes away. It's a red flag that they have problems they knew about and should have been able to fix. The warnings will not always be about something that has a big impact on overall malignancy to residents, but they do indicate a minimum of structural compliance problems- especially multiple year warnings is a huge deal as they should have been able to resolve any issues quickly that make it to that stage. Not being able to suggests leadership problem, not enough funding to fix it, or residents are very unhappy about something- all of these are bad. I'd avoid these programs if one is in a position to do so unless one was able to get a detailed explanation from a resident on why it isn't a big deal and life is really fine there. It's on the same level as a program that fired a resident within the past few years- who cares why it happened- better to just do not rank and pick a place that does not have that issue rather than taking a very permanent chance.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How recent is this list? I recently interviewed at University of Tennessee and they also have a warning, but not sure if that was removed.

In this case, I was pretty worried about the program because in addition to the warnings status:

1) They reduced their resident class size from 7 to 3. Uh oh.
2) ECFMG stopped sponsoring J1 visas for foreign graduates (like me) for this program. I’ve never heard that happen.

How recent is this list? I recently interviewed at University of Tennessee and they also have a warning, but not sure if that was removed.

In this case, I was pretty worried about the program because in addition to the warnings status:

1) They reduced their resident class size from 7 to 3. Uh oh.
2) ECFMG stopped sponsoring J1 visas for foreign graduates (like me) for this program. I’ve never heard that happen.
Reduced resident class size is basically always a bad thing, and more than halving it (?!) suggests major bad things happened to rotation sites, funding, faculty etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Reduced resident class size is basically always a bad thing, and more than halving it (?!) suggests major bad things happened to rotation sites, funding, faculty etc.
Yeah, I cannot rank it anyway as they won’t sponsor the visa anymore. It’s a shame because it’s a nice, relatively warm place and very affordable, with decent research. And Elvis Presley.

I think UTHSC reduced their resident class size this year because of the issues with not being able to guarantee the prelim year through their Hospital. So from what I've heard they plan on accepting 3 interns with guaranteed prelim this year, and 4 more next year as physician advanced pgy2 spots for people that have already completed their intern year. Also, they no longer have that warning in their accreditation from that last wave of accreditation update from the ACGME on 1/27. But who knows I may be wrong about that.

Ah I see, I didn’t know that. They sent an email about the 3 residents but never mentioned that they would take 4 more next year. Thanks for the update

Most programs bend over triple backwards to not get these warnings- like weekly meetings and multiple phone calls until the issue goes away. It's a red flag that they have problems they knew about and should have been able to fix. The warnings will not always be about something that has a big impact on overall malignancy to residents, but they do indicate a minimum of structural compliance problems- especially multiple year warnings is a huge deal as they should have been able to resolve any issues quickly that make it to that stage. Not being able to suggests leadership problem, not enough funding to fix it, or residents are very unhappy about something- all of these are bad. I'd avoid these programs if one is in a position to do so unless one was able to get a detailed explanation from a resident on why it isn't a big deal and life is really fine there. It's on the same level as a program that fired a resident within the past few years- who cares why it happened- better to just do not rank and pick a place that does not have that issue rather than taking a very permanent chance.
Also I wanted to thank you for all your excellent posts and insights over the last few months. As a foreign graduate I’m still getting to grips with the system, and it’s really nice to have a realistic idea about how various aspects (residency, research, fellowships) work from someone who’s already on the other side.

A little surprising seeing University of Chicago on a list like this.....

How much more serious is a probationary status?

I think UTHSC reduced their resident class size this year because of the issues with not being able to guarantee the prelim year through their Hospital. So from what I've heard they plan on accepting 3 interns with guaranteed prelim this year, and 4 more next year as physician advanced pgy2 spots for people that have already completed their intern year. Also, they no longer have that warning in their accreditation from that last wave of accreditation update from the ACGME on 1/27. But who knows I may be wrong about that.
are there any open spots for pgy2 for 2023? im trying to match advanced off cycle. didnt match into program this year... Also whats up with UAMS? Why are they on probation?

are there any open spots for pgy2 for 2023? im trying to match advanced off cycle. didnt match into program this year... Also whats up with UAMS? Why are they on probation?
They will likely fill the remaining 4 spots as PGY2 spots for the coming cycle. I have no idea about UAMS.

Reactions: 1 users