2023-2024 Pain Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strb_thndr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I figured we could get this going since the new cycle has already started.

Link to new Google doc: 2023-2024 Pain Fellowship Application Google Doc

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hello all, and good luck!!
Just wondering, is there a list of programs that do not participate in ERAS and the NRMP match?

Hows everyone doing? Hate how drawn out this process is

Members don't see this ad :)
Only received 3 interview invites so far with one being a waitlist. :/ Shooting for 10-11 but we'll see
What are your stats? DO or MD? Speciality? Research? I would really appreciate it as I would be applying next year

What are your stats? DO or MD? Speciality? Research? I would really appreciate it as I would be applying next year
I'm a DO, anesthesia, with 9 interview invites currently.

I'm a DO, anesthesia, with 9 interview invites currently.
Congrats! Any advice to a fellow DO applying next year? I'm coming in from neuro. Only case reports under my belt but not pain related. Hoping to start a headache related research this summer.

Congrats! Any advice to a fellow DO applying next year? I'm coming in from neuro. Only case reports under my belt but not pain related. Hoping to start a headache related research this summer.
Your best bet is to reach out to fellow neuro collegues on their success with matching pain fellowship. That will be the biggest challenge, not the DO part. I'm at a large academic anesthesia program and have had no issues with being a DO so far in this application process.

Reactions: 1 user
Meh step scores, MD, PM&R, minimal research. I got 4 interviews total (3 outside of home program). My chances of matching aren't great but I'm inclined to not reapply. I like inpatient rehab and could see myself happy doing that.

Meh step scores, MD, PM&R, minimal research. I got 4 interviews total (3 outside of home program). My chances of matching aren't great but I'm inclined to not reapply. I like inpatient rehab and could see myself happy doing that.
Hope you get a few more invites. Did you apply broadly?

Last edited:
Seems less likely at this point but I'm hoping to get a couple more interviews too 🙏

Good luck to everyone matching tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
What the hell happened today?
Pain medicine is simply less competitive, likely from a lot less anesthesia applicants combined with PDs not considering non "core" specialties (psych, neurology, EM, etc). General market is hot so a lot less interest from anesthesia folk. Tough to say no to 500k+ starting salary, 8-10+ vacations.. i think someone calculated the opportunity cost of 1 year fellowship vs doing general projected over one's career is in the millions. PDs probably also all interviewed the same batch of anesthesia/PMR residents.
>60 spots open amongst >30 programs unfilled including programs like UVA, Cleveland Clinic, Dartmouth, Texas Tech (did not fill any spots), etc etc

Pain medicine is simply less competitive, likely from a lot less anesthesia applicants combined with PDs not considering non "core" specialties (psych, neurology, EM, etc). General market is hot so a lot less interest from anesthesia folk. Tough to say no to 500k+ starting salary, 8-10+ vacations.. i think someone calculated the opportunity cost of 1 year fellowship vs doing general projected over one's career is in the millions. PDs probably also all interviewed the same batch of anesthesia/PMR residents.

>60 spots open amongst >30 programs unfilled including programs like UVA, Cleveland Clinic, Dartmouth, Texas Tech (did not fill any spots), etc etc
Is this the worst year yet? More unfilled programs than applicants.

Is this the worst year yet? More unfilled programs than applicants.
Yep. Last year there was about 19 unfilled seats I think. Fellowship programs keep expanding too

Can someone please share the list of unfilled programs?

Are the unfilled positions compiled anywhere? The link for discord chat was deleted so I was unable to check. Anyone have updated link?

Does Texas tech have a decent program now? 10 years ago they couldn’t get anyone

Does Texas tech have a decent program now? 10 years ago they couldn’t get anyone

They’re a decent program. Not remotely #1 like they used to be. But still sounds like they’re pretty good. Decent advanced exposure. I liked the PD a lot when I met him, but he’s a love him or hate him kind of guy. Sounds like can be very demanding to train under him, not always in useful ways. Disclaimer that I don’t know anybody who has trained there recently and this is all hearsay, I interviewed there 2 years ago.