2023-2024 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I’m on 2 DO WLs no acceptances. I’ve been pretty communicative with the schools over the last few months and I feel like they probably know my name by now lol (they encouraged questions and contacting them every so often). Both admissions departments have been so beyond pleasant which makes this process a little bit smoother. I sent one of the schools a LOI and they responded with something along the lines of “we really appreciate you solidifying your interest just try to stay patient and hang in there”. Excuse my neuroticism and reading into every word, but can this be seen as a good sign?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
What is the best way to ask my letter writers to update and resubmit their letters for a re-application while I'm on a WL? My letter writers were very supportive of me last year and all happy to write me good letters, but I can't help but feel like a disappointment and like I'm asking for a lot to ask them to resubmit them for another application in case I don't get accepted this cycle. What is the best way to ask this? Is there anything specific I need to include when asking this of a letter writer? thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
What is the best way to ask my letter writers to update and resubmit their letters for a re-application while I'm on a WL? My letter writers were very supportive of me last year and all happy to write me good letters, but I can't help but feel like a disappointment and like I'm asking for a lot to ask them to resubmit them for another application in case I don't get accepted this cycle. What is the best way to ask this? Is there anything specific I need to include when asking this of a letter writer? thanks!
I had to ask my letter writers to do this for more than once so I understand how you feel. Nevertheless I would recommend just connecting with them on a human level as much as possible about the issue. They understand that the med school application process is complicated and competitive. If they live nearby, you might consider setting up a face to face meeting for coffee or something. After chatting a bit explain how the cycle went, what you think you could improve on, and how you will do that. Then ask if they would be willing to continue to support you on your journey by writing you another letter. If they live far away you may consider doing the same thing but over zoom. Having this type of conversation also let’s you reaffirm your “why” with them, your determination, and who you are, helping them write a stronger letter. Hope that helps. That’s what I did and I felt good about it and they seemed to appreciate it too.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! 3 II --> 2 R & 1 WL, and I sent a letter of intent to this school. May is only a week away. Rooting for the success of everyone in this thread. Keep up the good vibes! We got this ok! 🤞🤞🤞

Here is a leek for good luck <3

GIF by marko

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Care
  • Love
Reactions: 24 users
Hoping to hear from 4 WL! Dying inside...just one of them to give an A

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
3 TMDSAS WL, no match, IS. I've already finished writing my reapp, but I'm still holding on to hope!!!

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
5 more days! we got this!!!... :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Praying that in a weeks time, I’ll be looking for apartments and giving my job my two weeks instead of still waiting painfully 😌

• Care
Reactions: 12 users
I just found this thread and love seeing all the support! 5 II, 4 WL, 1 pending :cryi:

• Care
praying in the next week that i hear from my top choice WL. 4 II, 3 WL, 1A so far but i’d love to stay in TX

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Is there a deadline or something next week for adcoms to take people off the WL?

4 WLs. One from a DO school and 3 from MD schools. 🙏🏾

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Welp, got a post-II R today :’(

So now it’s just 1 II >> 1 WL and it’d literally be a miracle if I somehow got in. Gonna start gearing up to reapply 🥲

• Care
You just have to read all this and it is not cast in stone. AMCAS® Choose Your Medical School Tool
For someone who really still needs to hear about finances, they could choose one school as PTE by April 30
Selecting PTE doesn't force them to withdraw from all WLs and can be changed to another school if they get new information.
Everyone will eventually need to choose something.

I'm not on an admissions committee, so maybe someone who is will comment
So we can hold As past Apr 30th to see how finances work out?

Life is a paradox. So many accepted applicants dreading May bc we're making financially blind decisions. So many WLers can't wait for May. There's always irony to be had

So we can hold As past Apr 30th to see how finances work out?
check with each of the schools you are holding to see when they expect a decision from you. That’s the deadline that matters to you.
Do you have more than one acceptance, or one A and some waitlists?

I currently have two acceptances , but am on the WL at 4 schools that I would likely choose over either of my current acceptances. I am trying to decide where to PTE for the April 30 deadline. School A has a CTE date in early June, whereas School B does not have a CTE date anywhere that I can find online, which makes me think that we have until the start of classes in mid August. I am leaning towards PTE at School B so that I have more time to remain on waitlists for the other schools — but is this a trivial reason to pick one school over the other? Not including this factor, it’s much harder of a decision between School A and B, which makes me scared that I’d be making the wrong decision solely to remain on waitlists.

I currently have two acceptances , but am on the WL at 4 schools that I would likely choose over either of my current acceptances. I am trying to decide where to PTE for the April 30 deadline. School A has a CTE date in early June, whereas School B does not have a CTE date anywhere that I can find online, which makes me think that we have until the start of classes in mid August. I am leaning towards PTE at School B so that I have more time to remain on waitlists for the other schools — but is this a trivial reason to pick one school over the other? Not including this factor, it’s much harder of a decision between School A and B, which makes me scared that I’d be making the wrong decision solely to remain on waitlists.
You should choose based on which school you’d rather attend and disregard the WL. That’s what I would do at least.

Reactions: 6 users
Agree with @sally swag

If you have an acceptance but are on multiple waitlists at schools you’d rather attend, do you have to select PTE for the accepted school by April 30th? I was thinking of not PTEing at all, as the school I was accepted at does not require it. Please let me know and thank you!!

If you have an acceptance but are on multiple waitlists at schools you’d rather attend, do you have to select PTE for the accepted school by April 30th? I was thinking of not PTEing at all, as the school I was accepted at does not require it. Please let me know and thank you!!
I am not sure either, but I am in a similar position.

I PTEd, but if you're sure the school doesn't require it then I guess you can hold off. I'd be too scared of them somehow rescinding the A or something lol

Reactions: 1 users
I PTEd, but if you're sure the school doesn't require it then I guess you can hold off. I'd be too scared of them somehow rescinding the A or something lol
I just emailed my school's admission committee to clarify their policies regarding PTE/CTE, but I will probably PTE.

A PTE does not restrict the number of waitlists on which one may remain.
After April 30th, PTE restricts the number of acceptances one may hold.

That’s something I was nervous about too! Haha, maybe I’ll call them tomorrow

Wondering if anyone might know the answer to this question or if this scenario ever even happens: If a school offers you a spot off their WL, can they require you to remove yourself from other WLs if you accept? I am assuming not because I don’t know how they’d enforce that but just curious bc I’m on so many WLs lol

Wondering if anyone might know the answer to this question or if this scenario ever even happens: If a school offers you a spot off their WL, can they require you to remove yourself from other WLs if you accept? I am assuming not because I don’t know how they’d enforce that but just curious bc I’m on so many WLs lol
They will just ask you to accept or not accept their offer.
At this point in the cycle you may only have 1-2 weeks or less to decide, so be ready.

I have 2 offers from DO programs (CCOM and MSUCOM). They said the traffic guidelines are set for April 1st. I am on my top choice MD waitlist at Carle-Illinois. I was admitted to MSUCOM two weeks ago and I have yet to receive any financial aid information from CCOM or MSUCOM. I am due to fly out and visit MSUCOM the week of April 11th as I haven’t seen the campus yet and wanted to do so before deciding.

What should I do?

I have 2 offers from DO programs (CCOM and MSUCOM). They said the traffic guidelines are set for April 1st. I am on my top choice MD waitlist at Carle-Illinois. I was admitted to MSUCOM two weeks ago and I have yet to receive any financial aid information from CCOM or MSUCOM. What should I do?
You mean May 1?
Accept one of your 2 DO offers.
CCOM costs much more I believe