2023-2024 Waitlist Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FINGERS CROSSED FOR ALL OF US!! Especially those who have not received any outright acceptances, but also for those of us who are WL'd at our top choices and hoping to stay near our support systems!
The days have been passing so slowly leading to this point šŸ˜… I'm hoping that we all are able to get into where we want!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
1 II -> 1 WL @ OOS MD SCHOOL

CA ORM

Hoping it works out for us all!!

Iā€™m at a 3.55/506 studying for an mcat retake and reapp, Iā€™ve never wanted this more in my life, we got this!

• Care
Reactions: 10 users
Losing my mind a little, theres like almost no communication or updates from any of the schools.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school told me that they have no guidelines for PTE/CTE, but I still PTEd in case. Then again, it was a TMDSAS school, so they don't really care about CYMS/AMCAS.
Thatā€™s what my worry is. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!! The school I am accepted to does not have a policy regarding PTE, only that I CTE in July, so Iā€™ve decided not to PTE. I would look at your schools policy of PTE and see if itā€™s required by today!!
On website it says June. But when I called them the employee said today.this is all so confusing. Wish there were clear answers. Regardless all the information I have had so far doesnā€™t say that you are disadvantaged if you PTE at a school. Clearly the reason to stay on waitlist is that you are wanting to go to another school.

Congrats on the Aā€™s!!! Manifesting acceptances for all of us still waiting!!!šŸ¤ž

Reactions: 2 users
On website it says June. But when I called them the employee said today.this is all so confusing. Wish there were clear answers. Regardless all the information I have had so far doesnā€™t say that you are disadvantaged if you PTE at a school. Clearly the reason to stay on waitlist is that you are wanting to go to another school.
Go by written or stated policies whenever possible - these are usually on the admissions department page of a school, Admissions FAQs, or on the MSAR listing for the school.
Read your admissions offer email again, to see if they specify a commitment date.
The office staffer who answers the phone may not be knowledgeable about the admissions process and may even be at a call center somewhere else in the building. I am convinced that's why callers get such a dizzying array of answers to the same question.

Go by written or stated policies whenever possible - these are usually on the admissions department page of a school, Admissions FAQs, or on the MSAR listing for the school.
Read your admissions offer email again, to see if they specify a commitment date.
The office staffer who answers the phone may not be knowledgeable about the admissions process and may even be at a call center somewhere else in the building. I am convinced that's why callers get such a dizzying array of answers to the same question.
The big question is that even if I PTE does that minimize my chances of getting off the WL

The big question is that even if I PTE does that minimize my chances of getting off the WL
Interestingly the admission page for this school gives April 30 and the FAQ page and MSAR has June. Wish schools could keep it all in one line. So very confusing.

The AMCAS CYMS "tool" is having "technical difficulties" so we cannot access information regarding who is PTE.
It seems like they might have anticipated that traffic would be high today...

I feel like thereā€™s always issues around this time for AMCAS. There was something last year too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything we have to do on AMCAS if we only have one WL for an MD school? I do not have the commit/plan to enroll option. I dont have other MD A's.

Is there anything we have to do on AMCAS if we only have one WL for an MD school? I do not have the commit/plan to enroll option. I dont have other MD A's.
Not yet, in your circumstance. When you get an acceptance you can select it :xf:

Reactions: 4 users
We never see where else you applied, were interviewed, are waitlisted or are accepted, or rejected.
Eventually, we will see that you have PTE'd or CTE'd elsewhere.
Does PTE affect chances of getting off of WL or shall I ask if it minimizes my chance of getting off WL at my choice school.

One interview, one waitlist, one acceptance

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 35 users
So in terms of Fafsa, and how it affects waitlist applicants - do you guys think itā€™s gonna bode worse for WL students compared to past years? Especially since people are waiting longer to withdraw their acceptance offers? Like everything in this process is manual and thereā€™s nothing keeping people from just holding on to their offers even past the PTE/CTE deadlinesā€¦
I think it will affect us negatively. How much so, not sure.

Sheesh thatā€™s what I was thinking too. Iā€™m on 4 WL and have one MD acceptance but I would definitely attend 2 of the WL schools over the one I have right now (one of which was my top choice) but Iā€™m anxious about the fact that FAFSA might have royally screwed us
Wouldnā€™t it just delay movement, but the movement will ultimately be the same?

Wouldnā€™t it just delay movement, but the movement will ultimately be the same?
Yes. The issue is that the movement may be delayed past CTE deadlines for some or most schools.

• Hmm
Yes. The issue is that the movement may be delayed past CTE deadlines for some or most schools.
But I doubt schools will allow people to hold on for long after the deadline. Iā€™d assume people who didnā€™t PTE at schools they are accepted to but PTEd at a different school will get some terse emails incoming, although that would just be my guess.

But I doubt schools will allow people to hold on for long after the deadline. Iā€™d assume people who didnā€™t PTE at schools they are accepted to but PTEd at a different school will get some terse emails incoming, although that would just be my guess.
I probably shouldn't have said most schools (since a lot have CTE deadlines in like July or something), but I definitely see some schools with earlier CTE deadlines being affected. The entire WL process is like a game of hot potato. Someone gets off, has several days to think about the offer and then accepts or rejects it, passing the potato to someone else.

If we go into this process already delayed because people are getting PTE extensions, it'll delay that initial potato passing for at least a few days to weeks. If it took this long to give people accepted right-off-the-bat financial aid, then I worry the same could happen for people taken off the WL. And if 1 admit spot is cycled between multiple people getting off the WL and rejecting the offer, the delay just gets worse.

• Hmm
I probably shouldn't have said most schools (since a lot have CTE deadlines in like July or something), but I definitely see some schools with earlier CTE deadlines being affected. The entire WL process is like a game of hot potato. Someone gets off, has several days to think about the offer and then accepts or rejects it, passing the potato to someone else.

If we go into this process already delayed because people are getting PTE extensions, it'll delay that initial potato passing for at least a few days to weeks. If it took this long to give people accepted right-off-the-bat financial aid, then I worry the same could happen for people taken off the WL. And if 1 admit spot is cycled between multiple people getting off the WL and rejecting the offer, the delay just gets worse.
Welpā€¦. Hoping that hot potato comes my wayšŸ˜‚šŸ™šŸ»šŸ™šŸ»

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

My suspicion is that because this process is going to be delayed due to FAFSA, a lot of people are going to settle into the schools they initially matched into. This may be even more so the case in Texas, where tuition is much cheaper compared to other states.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh okay, then in that case itā€™s gonna be in our favor then right lol
I have no idea :/ it's best to prepare for the worst yet remain positive, as difficult as that may be

Every spam call is making me go insane

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users

Definitely if a school placed a CTE deadline that is more than 21 days before the start of orientation, that school can 'recalibrate" their CTE deadline to follow the 21-day suggestion better. Everyone else shouldn't move their CTE dates sooner because it works against their planning. Since all medical schools don't start at the same time, the ones who start in June (for example) are scrambling like mad to lock their classes down.

Good luck to everyone today and the upcoming weeks!

Reactions: 13 users
My suspicion is that because this process is going to be delayed due to FAFSA, a lot of people are going to settle into the schools they initially matched into. This may be even more so the case in Texas, where tuition is much cheaper compared to other states.
Agree, yield at T20s will probably increase as well.

Now that my hockey team has been eliminated from the playoffs I have no distraction from WL waiting and constant email checkingšŸ˜‚šŸ˜©. Thank goodness Iā€™m admitted DO or it would be so much worse. I really hope yā€™all who donā€™t have any As get in soon!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Realistically, do we think some emails will start going out tomorrow and Friday? I feel like adcoms are most likely gathering themselves today and maybe tmr will start making decisions?

Reactions: 3 users
Realistically, do we think some emails will start going out tomorrow and Friday? I feel like adcoms are most likely gathering themselves today and maybe tmr will start making decisions?
Tbh, I feel like maybe even next week is when we would more realistically start hearing back. They probably start finalizing potential candidates starting this week now that they have a good idea on how many spots they have available.

Reactions: 3 users
One school Iā€™m waitlisted at already started accepting off the waitlist today

• Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I interviewed with a school in early February and have not heard back yet with an initial decision. It is now almost 3 months later, past the April 30th deadline, and people are posting waitlist movement on sdn in that school's thread. Is it appropriate to send admissions an email asking about my status? Do interviewees ever get lost/forgotten in the busyness of admin work? The last thing I want to do is come off annoying. I am wondering if anyone has any advice, thank you in advance!
definitely contact them

My state school that I'm WL at has also started taking people off the WL

My #1 accepted someone today too; Iā€™m checking my email at an unhealthy rate.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users