2023 ACFAS Conference Meetup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

air bud

I am a dog and play basketball
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok who wants to have a meetup in LA? DM for details. Networking is always good.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, we’ve been banned. ACFAS refunded our money (after they cashed our check) and said we’re not welcome. We’ve been there for 20 years and participated in the COTH/ACFAS residency directors forum.

Sorry, none of ABPM will be there.
IMG_1486.jpg

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, we’ve been banned. ACFAS refunded our money (after they cashed our check) and said we’re not welcome. We’ve been there for 20 years and participated in the COTH/ACFAS residency directors forum.

View attachment 364506
So dumb

Reactions: 2 users
That's lousy

I still say all the CAQs are ridiculous, however

Reactions: 1 user
I have a lot going on at the office lately and not a huge LA fan, but will try for 2024 ACFAS (Tampa) to see some fam and DPMs out there.

What a petty move by acfas/abfas.
What would you do if an organization deliberately tried to blur the lines and start drama... welcome them with open arms and risk them making a scene at your big conf?

Reactions: 1 users
What would you do if an organization deliberately tried to blur the lines and start drama... welcome them with open arms and risk them making a scene at your big conf?
I'd pay for front row tickets watch this. Who knows maybe they'll even talk to each other and have actual discourse.

First off, as a younger attending doing mainly non-RRA, I feel I may have to admit to a unpopular opinion on this forum. I am happy for the CAQ. I find the ABFAS process to be tedious, the pass rate unacceptable, and a fair number of their disciples to be arrogant. All I want to do is go to work, when necessary do surgery, pay off my loans, and get the hell out of this profession. I don't want to worry about if my screw was a little long on the xray, or if the postop patient that I sent back to work now has residual edema on his foot at his final postop visit.

I think our pass rate should be closer to the orthopedic surgeons of whom we enviously gaze upon. Additionally the fact that the rules were changed preventing requalification is particularly galling and again the opposite of what our ortho colleagues do. I don't buy the "protecting the public" schtick. I haven't had a patient ever ask me about board status, and my surgery center doesn't care either. The hospital I cover requires ABFAS qualified/certified, but if I wasn't qualified I could just schedule the patients at the surgery center. So ultimately it still comes down to the surgeon knowing his limitations and not scheduling over his head. This was also how it was in residency, the "butchers" still found places to do their cases just like everybody else. I 100% agree that variability in our training graduates poor surgeons, but I just don't buy that ABFAS are about protecting the public rather than enhancing their own prestige.

I suppose this rant is mainly because I'm tired of jumping through hoops for the past decade but in the end if either: 1) ABPM becomes more accepted or 2) ABFAS is forced to become more inclusive then I will view the CAQ as a tremendous success.

Now that I have finished my tangent, as for how ACFAS should respond... In an ideal world, both sides would sit down and figure out a way to mend this rift in the profession. This is podiatry though, and thus my expectations are fairly low. I just don't think this accomplishes much other than to further entrench the two parties positions. Won't APMA (or would it be ACPM?) almost have to uninvite the ABFAS to their events? Thus the division will grow.

Reactions: 7 users
Ok who wants to have a meetup in LA? DM for details. Networking is always good.
But if I reveal myself then how else can I s***post all over this profession anonymously.

I still need this gig until I can get some sucker to buy my overvalued practice when I'm done with it.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
To clarify my point above, ALL the CAQs are ridiculous. Certification through ABPM should stand on its own without needing additional flourishes. Are you not supposed to treat athletes if you don't have the sports medicine CAQ? Are you not supposed to treat ulcers if you don't have the amputation prevention CAQ? By all outward appearances, these are cash grabs, preying on the average podiatrist's sense of inadequacy with the credentials they have. It's like the Who's Who scams.

Back on topic, I'm going to ACFAS. I DMed airbud already.

Members don't see this ad :)
So basically, podiatry needs to be advertised that only about 45% or so will be able to do surgery upon schooling and residency training. I want to see how this whole rivalry will impact future interest in podiatry. Surely, smart, hard working, high caliber candidates will be the first ones to steer away from podiatry. Podiatry attracts most of its candidates by appealing to surgical aspect. And if you advertise that only half or less will be able to do that at the end of 7 years of training that just sad. But I think this is what it comes down to. Invest 7 years of training, 300-400k plus interest, lost time and energy and then flip a coin if you will be doing surgery or clipping toenails.

Such a good career outlook. Lol

Anyone considering podiatry needs to think 50 times right now and try MD/DO at least for 3 cycles, then try nursing with plans to do NP or CRNA or some other non-healthcare career.

Reactions: 5 users
So basically, podiatry needs to be advertised that only about 45% or so will be able to do surgery upon schooling and residency training. I want to see how this whole rivalry will impact future interest in podiatry. Surely, smart, hard working, high caliber candidates will be the first ones to steer away from podiatry. Podiatry attracts most of its candidates by appealing to surgical aspect. And if you advertise that only half or less will be able to do that at the end of 7 years of training that just sad. But I think this is what it comes down to. Invest 7 years of training, 300-400k plus interest, lost time and energy and then flip a coin if you will be doing surgery or clipping toenails.

Such a good career outlook. Lol

Anyone considering podiatry needs to think 50 times right now and try MD/DO at least for 3 cycles, then try nursing with plans to do NP or CRNA or some other non-healthcare career.
Yeah, surgery....guilty as charged. Wanted to lock in ability to do surgery.

Those in positions of power with a financial interest get really pissed when others try to sink the gravy train. This is not surprising, and shows that those in power at ABFAS and their buddies at ACFAS are mental midgets.

To clarify my point above, ALL the CAQs are ridiculous. Certification through ABPM should stand on its own without needing additional flourishes. Are you not supposed to treat athletes if you don't have the sports medicine CAQ? Are you not supposed to treat ulcers if you don't have the amputation prevention CAQ? By all outward appearances, these are cash grabs, preying on the average podiatrist's sense of inadequacy with the credentials they have. It's like the Who's Who scams.
So I should cancel the medical monster and wall plaque and world's best medical staff awards I was getting for my waiting room?

View attachment 364506

Thought this was a meme for a second. Great to see unity within the pod high command.

Coming out of retirement to post....
Let's meet tomorrow morning at 845 next to the ABFAS booth (our lord and savior).

Talking to people IRL? Ewwwwwww

I'll be the really good looking one

Have fun talking to reps.

Hey: I have a question about X plate or screw.
Rep: Let me show you something completely different even though you specifically asked about that 1 thing.

Reactions: 4 users
First off, as a younger attending doing mainly non-RRA, I feel I may have to admit to a unpopular opinion on this forum. I am happy for the CAQ. I find the ABFAS process to be tedious, the pass rate unacceptable, and a fair number of their disciples to be arrogant. All I want to do is go to work, when necessary do surgery, pay off my loans, and get the hell out of this profession. I don't want to worry about if my screw was a little long on the xray, or if the postop patient that I sent back to work now has residual edema on his foot at his final postop visit.

I think our pass rate should be closer to the orthopedic surgeons of whom we enviously gaze upon. Additionally the fact that the rules were changed preventing requalification is particularly galling and again the opposite of what our ortho colleagues do. I don't buy the "protecting the public" schtick. I haven't had a patient ever ask me about board status, and my surgery center doesn't care either. The hospital I cover requires ABFAS qualified/certified, but if I wasn't qualified I could just schedule the patients at the surgery center. So ultimately it still comes down to the surgeon knowing his limitations and not scheduling over his head. This was also how it was in residency, the "butchers" still found places to do their cases just like everybody else. I 100% agree that variability in our training graduates poor surgeons, but I just don't buy that ABFAS are about protecting the public rather than enhancing their own prestige.

I suppose this rant is mainly because I'm tired of jumping through hoops for the past decade but in the end if either: 1) ABPM becomes more accepted or 2) ABFAS is forced to become more inclusive then I will view the CAQ as a tremendous success.

Now that I have finished my tangent, as for how ACFAS should respond... In an ideal world, both sides would sit down and figure out a way to mend this rift in the profession. This is podiatry though, and thus my expectations are fairly low. I just don't think this accomplishes much other than to further entrench the two parties positions. Won't APMA (or would it be ACPM?) almost have to uninvite the ABFAS to their events? Thus the division will grow.

Just curious, which state do you practice in? I’ve rarely heard anyone getting restricted from doing surgery just because they aren’t board certified/qualified by Abfas.

I’ve rarely heard anyone getting restricted from doing surgery just because they aren’t board certified/qualified by Abfas.

In Oregon the state licensing laws restrict you from doing some surgeries without ABFAS.

TX definitely had facilities that required ABFAS for privileges (qualified status obviously worked for the first ~5 years). At least that’s what the bylaws said. How enforceable those bylaws are is another story I guess…

In Oregon the state licensing laws restrict you from doing some surgeries without ABFAS.

TX definitely had facilities that required ABFAS for privileges (qualified status obviously worked for the first ~5 years). At least that’s what the bylaws said. How enforceable those bylaws are is another story I guess…
I definitely would like to hear which facilities you are referring to in Texas.

Oregon has never been podiatry friendly.

@diabeticfootdr , are you still practicing in Texas? Have you heard of any Texas facilities restricting non Abfas podiatrists from performing surgeries? I’ve never heard of any facilities in Texas which require ABFAS.