2023 PHAP (CDC's Public Health Associate Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ae127

Reaction score
Greetings. Thought I'd get this thread going early this year! The PHAP application cycle will be from January 18th to January 25th. Good luck to everyone who applies this year!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! Thank you for starting this thread. I've been checking the PHAP page on the CDC website and am still seeing the "application will open soon" sign. Anyone happen to see the posting on USAjobs yet?

Hello! Thank you for starting this thread. I've been checking the PHAP page on the CDC website and am still seeing the "application will open soon" sign. Anyone happen to see the posting on USAjobs yet?
No, I’ve been checking as well and I don’t see it on USAjobs yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just contacted the PHAP help desk, and they told me that the application has been delayed because they are currently experiencing a little issue. They said I should keep checking the website and that they hope to have the application available by next week.

Emailed the PHAP email provided and received a response saying that
I just contacted the PHAP help desk, and they told me that the application has been delayed because they are currently experiencing a little issue. They said I should keep checking the website and that they hope to have the application available by next week.
I just received the same response. I'll keep checking daily and post here if I notice any changes!

The application is up on USAjobs with a new timeline:1/23 to 1/30. Good luck to all that apply!

Not sure if anyone else is having issues accessing the link provided for the school enrollment verification form...

Not sure if anyone else is having issues accessing the link provided for the school enrollment verification form...
I also can't get to the school enrollment verification form from the provided link - my browser just says that it can't reach the page. Any idea what I should do?

I also can't get to the school enrollment verification form from the provided link - my browser just says that it can't reach the page. Any idea what I should do?
I just emailed the helpline to ask if they could send a pdf copy to me to print.

Hey y’all! I just emailed the helpline too, to get the form. Do you guys know what the “complete assessment questionnaire” is? is that supposed to be a part of the documents package? Or will we complete that later on in the application.

Did y'all email the PHAP-specific email for help or the HRCS email on the job posting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did y'all email the PHAP-specific email for help or the HRCS email on the job posting?
Hey, I emailed the HRCS email on the job posting and got an email back saying my “ticket was opened”. Hoping for a response soon

Hey y’all! I just emailed the helpline too, to get the form. Do you guys know what the “complete assessment questionnaire” is? is that supposed to be a part of the documents package? Or will we complete that later on in the application.

Hi, Did you get a response back about the complete assessment questionnaire?

Did you have your school make one or just fill out the form that they sent you?
My school requires their own form that they make and won't fill out the CDC form, so I checked and PHAP said that it's fine to use my school's form if that helps.

Just an update - the timeframe to submit your application has been adjusted. The application is due 02/03.

For those writing a cover letter, what address are you using and who are you writing to?

Just an update - The application is now due 02/05. Good luck to all those who appy!

PSA/early heads up to those who applied to the PHAP program this year. If you selected GS-7 as the lowest grade you would take on your application, apparently they won't consider you as a candidate anymore - they're going back to starting everyone out at a GS-5. I strongly encourage you to advocate for yourself and your other fellow applicants to still be considered for the PHAP program when they send this announcement to all you 2023 PHAP applicants (which should be soon). Lots of hugs and best of luck to all of you!

PSA/early heads up to those who applied to the PHAP program this year. If you selected GS-7 as the lowest grade you would take on your application, apparently they won't consider you as a candidate anymore - they're going back to starting everyone out at a GS-5. I strongly encourage you to advocate for yourself and your other fellow applicants to still be considered for the PHAP program when they send this announcement to all you 2023 PHAP applicants (which should be soon). Lots of hugs and best of luck to all of you!
Thank you for letting the forum know! I was drafting my own warning to them as well. GS-7 is no longer a pay option for the 2023 class- if you applied and selected GS-7 your application will not be reviewed for consideration. Please advocate for yourselves, if you are willing to work at the GS-5 level let PHAP know. I recommend looking up the GS pay scale range online and seeing the current pay for areas you hope to work in. The pay is low but the work can be rewarding. If you are unable to work at a GS-5 level and make it to further rounds in the process it is okay to decline the offer. Just know no matter what choice you make there will be other opportunities for you to grow professionally. Good luck everybody!

Thanks for the update on the pay change! Has there been any news on the timeline for personal statement notification? I know the website says April and it's a long shot, but I keep hoping we'll be like the 2021 class and hear something earlier.

Received an email today about “Notice of Results AND Referral Status” but honestly kinda confused after reading it. Did anyone else receive the email and could explain it?

Received an email today about “Notice of Results AND Referral Status” but honestly kinda confused after reading it. Did anyone else receive the email and could explain it?
If you are eligible and referred, that means you are going on to the next steps of the hiring process.

Just heard back as well. Was kinda confused but after reading it a few times I understand what my referral and eligibility status is. I’m tentatively eligible but wasn’t referred, so there may still be a chance in the future 🤞🏾

Just heard back as well. Was kinda confused but after reading it a few times I understand what my referral and eligibility status is. I’m tentatively eligible but wasn’t referred, so there may still be a chance in the future 🤞🏾
I also received the same message. Good luck to everyone who advances!

Has anyone gotten any follow up to the initial decision announcement? I know they said we could hear back anywhere between several days and several months. In past years it seems they have reached out for personal statements right away, but it sounds like they may be jumping into interviews instead this year? Just curious if anyone has any helpful information or insight?
I got an email today about submitting my personal statement.

Has anyone gotten any follow up to the initial decision announcement? I know they said we could hear back anywhere between several days and several months. In past years it seems they have reached out for personal statements right away, but it sounds like they may be jumping into interviews instead this year? Just curious if anyone has any helpful information or insight?
From what I remember this timeline is on par with last year, personal statements were due mid April and then by end of april/beginning of May they reached out about interviews. I will say this is the longest part of the process - once you make it to personal statement/interview time it moves pretty quickly through those stages. And then slows down after interviews while you wait for matching, which last year happened mid-june initially.

Hey y’all, has anyone gone through the interview process? If yes, what were some of the questions they asked during the interview?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey y’all, has anyone gone through the interview process? If yes, what were some of the questions they asked during the interview?
Waiting for a reply as well🙂

Good luck with the interview process everyone! :)

Forgot to post but I had my interview yesterday and I think it went pretty well! The interviewer was really nice and made the interview less stressful

Has anyone heard back on matches? I can’t stop checking my email!

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm hoping we find something out by the end of the week!

I haven’t. I’m kind of tempted to call and see if they have any updates of when matches will be sent out
Okay, hopefully we hear something. Looking at other forums, it never took this long.

Okay, hopefully we hear something. Looking at other forums, it never took this long.
I called and the person said that they are still choosing candidates and host sites and that we should start hearing back towards the end of this month and that matching will go on until September. Also- the PHAP number in the FAQ email is wrong, the last 4 numbers are 0030, not 0300.

Reactions: 4 users