2024-2025 WMed MBS

Started by mayhaps
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, it appears like they've concluded their admissions process. I'm sure we'll get an update this week since it will be one month since their previous "monthly update" email on Wednesday. I was hoping for an interview as well. Still, we should all keep in mind that reapplying this cycle and making an effort to improve our applications could very possibly result in us beginning our M1 year at the same time as we would be with an MBS acceptance. Personally, I have already retaken the MCAT and found other ways to strengthen my application. The only advice I have is to begin the process of reapplying as early as possible. Best of luck to you all.

Congratulations to those who received an acceptance!! I am very familiar with the Kalamazoo area and have friends in their third year at WMed. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. I can answer or put you in contact with someone who can.
Why do you guys think the admissions process is over?
 
Congratulations to those who got accepted!!!!! They placed me on the waitlist on Friday. They said the waitlist isn't ranked and I could hear back anytime from now to July. The fact that there's even a waitlist kind of makes me think they're not totally done yet. I'm rooting for everyone!
 
Yes, it appears like they've concluded their admissions process. I'm sure we'll get an update this week since it will be one month since their previous "monthly update" email on Wednesday. I was hoping for an interview as well. Still, we should all keep in mind that reapplying this cycle and making an effort to improve our applications could very possibly result in us beginning our M1 year at the same time as we would be with an MBS acceptance. Personally, I have already retaken the MCAT and found other ways to strengthen my application. The only advice I have is to begin the process of reapplying as early as possible. Best of luck to you all.

Congratulations to those who received an acceptance!! I am very familiar with the Kalamazoo area and have friends in their third year at WMed. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. I can answer or put you in contact with someone who can.
100% great post. I think it’s a great point in terms of looking into next year. I am a LM of 80 and working the same job as last year so not sure what I’ll be updating except rewriting everything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If anyone is currently accepted and would like to connect with a few of the other accepted students, please dm me. I am working on creating a Discord server that will be used throughout our time in the program. So far, have only been able to connect with two others. Good luck to all, waiting to hear back, or currently on the waiting list 🙂
 
Yes, it appears like they've concluded their admissions process. I'm sure we'll get an update this week since it will be one month since their previous "monthly update" email on Wednesday. I was hoping for an interview as well. Still, we should all keep in mind that reapplying this cycle and making an effort to improve our applications could very possibly result in us beginning our M1 year at the same time as we would be with an MBS acceptance. Personally, I have already retaken the MCAT and found other ways to strengthen my application. The only advice I have is to begin the process of reapplying as early as possible. Best of luck to you all.

Congratulations to those who received an acceptance!! I am very familiar with the Kalamazoo area and have friends in their third year at WMed. If you have any questions, feel free to DM me. I can answer or put you in contact with someone who can.
Wow, I guess no interview for me as well then. Do you have a preference to apply to MD or did you also apply DO?
 
Thank you for sharing! May I ask when they let you know their final decision last year?
They didn't follow up. They said it could take any time from the day they sent their decision to the first day of classes. It sucked that it had to drag so long but eventually I moved on.
 
thanks for sharing. Can you give an example of a line you wrote? (paraphrasing) curious what that would be like.
I'm not really comfy sharing a line from my app but what I'll say is that when you're writing, especially a diversity statement, always ask yourself if someone else can write what you wrote down. If they can, do a deeper introspection. You'll realize you're more special than you think
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for anyone who is on the waitlist like me for the program, do you think it's a good idea to send a letter of intent? I honestly don't hear a lot about sending letters to master programs linked to med schools so i'm not completely sure. i interviewed 5/7.
 
Any other advice in regards to applying or what you felt made you stand out? Were you also specific in answering the essay about how the program would help you?
I think I said it earlier in the thread but try and do some deep introspection and try to come up with things that only YOU can say. if the answers to the prompt sound like anyone can write the same thing, its not a good sign. I know for sure my answers stood out because I had absolutely zero generic sentences in my app.

for your other question, yes I was. I did research on the program and used specific aspects that I thought would really help me become a good med student.
 
I think I said it earlier in the thread but try and do some deep introspection and try to come up with things that only YOU can say. if the answers to the prompt sound like anyone can write the same thing, its not a good sign. I know for sure my answers stood out because I had absolutely zero generic sentences in my app.

for your other question, yes I was. I did research on the program and used specific aspects that I thought would really help me become a good med student.
Hello! Thank you for your advice! How difficult it is to complete the MBS program? I ask this because the stakes are incredbily high and was wondering how greuling the coursework and the pace is. Thank you in advance!
 
Hello! Thank you for your advice! How difficult it is to complete the MBS program? I ask this because the stakes are incredbily high and was wondering how greuling the coursework and the pace is. Thank you in advance!
It is challenging, there is sm material and the pace is really fast especially in the first three courses where you are literally taking classes with the med students. They mean it literally when they say the program preps you for med school lol for the first three courses you ARE a med student. The A&P series is specific to only the masters students so you go from big lecture rooms to just you and the other masters students in a smaller classroom. It is wayyy less dense material relative to the first three courses. Overall it is absolutely doable, so far I personally have not failed an exam and we all got our acceptance to the med school not long ago. It is a fully P/F program, you need a 70% to pass and there is no GPA requirement to get accepted into the med school, just pass. I think it is absolutely worth it to at least apply!
 
It is challenging, there is sm material and the pace is really fast especially in the first three courses where you are literally taking classes with the med students. They mean it literally when they say the program preps you for med school lol for the first three courses you ARE a med student. The A&P series is specific to only the masters students so you go from big lecture rooms to just you and the other masters students in a smaller classroom. It is wayyy less dense material relative to the first three courses. Overall it is absolutely doable, so far I personally have not failed an exam and we all got our acceptance to the med school not long ago. It is a fully P/F program, you need a 70% to pass and there is no GPA requirement to get accepted into the med school, just pass. I think it is absolutely worth it to at least apply!
Thank you so much for this detailed answer. I have applied and am very eager to attend. I personally think, from what they've said on the website and what you've said, this program will defintely help me in medical school. Regarding the interviews, do you remember the format by chance? Thank you!!
 
Thank you so much for this detailed answer. I have applied and am very eager to attend. I personally think, from what they've said on the website and what you've said, this program will defintely help me in medical school. Regarding the interviews, do you remember the format by chance? Thank you!!
it was an open file, traditional interview with the two directors and an upperclassman who went through the MBS program. They ask you traditional medical school interview qs like why this program, why dr etc... it was very chill. Good luck and I hope you get in!!!
 
it was an open file, traditional interview with the two directors and an upperclassman who went through the MBS program. They ask you traditional medical school interview qs like why this program, why dr etc... it was very chill. Good luck and I hope you get in!!!
Thank you so so much for your help!! Would you be okay with me pming you if I think of any questions? Totally cool if not 🙂 Thank you nonetheless!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad