2026/2027 locums rate

Started by RegularMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RegularMD

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What rates are you all seeing right now? And more importantly, what should be the absolute bottom line we should refuse to go below?

We all know Maryland/DC and Florida are offering some pretty disgusting rates, but there will always be desperate folks willing to accept them. So I’m not expecting much improvement in those markets anytime soon.

Would be helpful to hear what everyone is seeing in other states and where you’re drawing the line.
 
$350-420 hr isn’t a disgusting rate. Ha ha.

I don’t know what people want.

Again. I don’t know what people are expecting. Heck I take $300hr sometimes but I don’t do any real work for it and it’s literally down the street from my house.

So it’s combination. work load vs pay.

$350/hr seems to be the standard rate in Florida. If I’m barely working for that it’s ok with me as well. I’m the jack of all rates.

And I turned down $450/hr consistent work. 37 min away cause I don’t feel like driving 40 miles and it’s actually hard work at 6am.

Just remember it’s not always about the hourly rate.

So what is ur actual goal? To stay home? Or travel? There are a lot of compromises with locums work

Most professional locums (those who 100% depend on locums income) like to work 2 weeks out of the area and scramble to find work 2 weeks closer to their home.

So I always like to hear about those who complain about locums rates.

It’s usually someone who wants to be a specific area and not willing to travel to bfe.

I’m lucky I get to sleep in my own bed 350 out 365 days the last year
half of my income is 500k 1099 income and
half of it 500k w2 income.
With 13 real weeks off for 2026

But I know gigs run dry. It won’t last forever. Well that’s why I stick to a w2 that opens me up to 30 weeks of locums work.
So I don’t sweat it.
 
It’s $500/hr in North Carolina and Iowa and Illinois by the way. Tennessee paying well in the $400s as well

Tons of work for those willing to travel. Those are what my current friends are making. But some are getting tired away from being away from home

Nothing like Florida winters coming up. I hate the summers in Florida but the winters are fabulous.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It’s $500/hr in North Carolina and Iowa and Illinois by the way. Tennessee paying well in the $400s as well

Tons of work for those willing to travel. Those are what my current friends are making. But some are getting tired away from being away from home

Nothing like Florida winters coming up. I hate the summers in Florida but the winters are fabulous.
I haven’t seen those rates in IL. Maybe it’s just me. I was talking to someone from Weatherby for Urbana and it was pulling teeth to get him to 400. Jury still out on that one.

Metro market is tight enough a friend of mine got offered a 1099 contract for 1 day a week heavy ASC work. 100k. No hour cap, cancellation pay, OT, nothing in metro. 5 days pto. Take a standard 8h day (ideal scenario), that’s a 265/h rate. Worse the more hours you work.

So they’re not providing mileage for alll the centers/ travel, benefits, literally nothing. Or you can join an academic place or huge conglomerate which have monopolized the entire area and work a full FTE and take lots of call. Which is where that market is
 
Last edited:
375-400/hr is fairly standard now.
Be lucky to get $325 in south Florida (Miami) . Really depends on location. Which is up from $275/300 as little as one year ago. Jax is pretty bad. Orlando is pretty bad. Similar offerings. Tampa is around $325/hr. Pockets of places you are make more.

Supply and demand. And how much market share hospital or amc have control.
 
I haven’t seen those rates in IL. Maybe it’s just me. I was talking to someone from Weatherby for Urbana and it was pulling teeth to get him to 400. Jury still out on that one.

Metro market is tight enough a friend of mine got offered a 1099 contract for 1 day a week heavy ASC work. 100k. No hour cap, cancellation pay, OT, nothing in metro. 5 days pto. Take a standard 8h day (ideal scenario), that’s a 265/h rate. Worse the more hours you work.

So they’re not providing mileage for alll the centers/ travel, benefits, literally nothing. Or you can join an academic place or huge conglomerate which have monopolized the entire area and work a full FTE and take lots of call. Which is where that market is
Dy staffing was offering me $500/hr base x 40 hr in some east St. Louis area (Illinois side) a few months ago. Who knows what the current rate is for September. I’ve been with same recruiter for 12 years so she’s very consistent with me and honest. Obviously I’ve given her a lot of business as well.

Locums rates are always dynamic.
 
In SF, I still take $300/hr, 4-hr minimum, 1099 for an ASC that does ortho and gender with good safety culture and pleasant people, but I’ve noticed the scheduler is offering enhanced daily guarantees (3k, 4k, even 5k) for unfilled shifts on short notice more often. Days are usually 2-7 hrs.
Correct. We call that uber surge pricing.
And it’s totally ok to take $300/hr

Good to have side gigs since I think you have primary gig already.

I’m taking $300-hr next month myself. It’s easy work and all 12 hr is guranteed for me. All solo. No one bothers me. No running around 1:7 some days.

And more importantly it’s 9 minutes from my house.
 
I wouldn’t take anything under $425/hr unless it was literally within 30 min drive and with no credentialing acrobatics. If traveling to another state I would demand payment for both travel days and any onboarding days. Even then, the delta in extra income may not be worth it once you factor in living in an apartment/hotel, travel, credentialing, and moving to a less desirable location. Also, at my shop there are days we get paid to be “available” and often don’t come in due to low OR usage. Locums contracts will often use you until the last minute.
 
I wouldn’t take anything under $425/hr unless it was literally within 30 min drive and with no credentialing acrobatics. If traveling to another state I would demand payment for both travel days and any onboarding days. Even then, the delta in extra income may not be worth it once you factor in living in an apartment/hotel, travel, credentialing, and moving to a less desirable location. Also, at my shop there are days we get paid to be “available” and often don’t come in due to low OR usage. Locums contracts will often use you until the last minute.
I have yet to find a locums company or datapoint from one that will pay you $4,000/day x 2 for round trip travel.
Maybe I'm not aware of it?
 
Most I was offered was $1800.
But they were desperate. Comphealth.
$1800 doesn’t even cover 1 (8 hr day of work) for travel
To miss 2 days of work due to travel.

That’s why most professional full time locums map out every 60 days in advance and cannot afford to be left with no work for weeks at a time.
 
$1800 doesn’t even cover 1 (8 hr day of work) for travel
To miss 2 days of work due to travel.

That’s why most professional full time locums map out every 60 days in advance and cannot afford to be left with no work for weeks at a time.
yup- exactly my point. travel to and from a locums gig that is out of state are days that are net negative if not compensated.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yup- exactly my point. travel to and from a locums gig that is out of state are days that are net negative if not compensated.
meh. Its not like we work 7 days a week every week.
Lots of locums are moving to M-F 10-12 hour days, no call no weekend. Too expensive for them. So I travel on my weekends, but yes those weeks that dont align well and create gaps, those I fill with vacation time.