2026/2027 COVID Vaccine

Started by Guillemot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Guillemot

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is everyone doing regarding COVID vaccinations for 2026/2027?

I am personally not in a high risk group for severe illness, but elected to be vaccinated at the same time I received the influenza vaccine. As a 1099 I don't get any paid sick days, and have previously tolerated the vaccine without major issue. So it seemed like the correct move for me financially even aside from an aversion to illness.
 
What is everyone doing regarding COVID vaccinations for 2026/2027?

I am personally not in a high risk group for severe illness, but elected to be vaccinated at the same time I received the influenza vaccine. As a 1099 I don't get any paid sick days, and have previously tolerated the vaccine without major issue. So it seemed like the correct move for me financially even aside from an aversion to illness.
Well, the smart move is always to get vaccinated as it reduces the potential severity of your illness.

The it just becomes a factor of cost vs benefit. Cost being the time and effort to go down to get the shot.

That being said, i think many (myself included) are too lazy to get it done.
 
Well, the smart move is always to get vaccinated as it reduces the potential severity of your illness.

The it just becomes a factor of cost vs benefit. Cost being the time and effort to go down to get the shot.

That being said, i think many (myself included) are too lazy to get it done.
I haven’t seen a truly sick COVID patient in the ER in years. Given that I’m low-risk, and the shot itself makes me feel like garbage for a day, I’ve been skipping for years unless some crazy dangerous variant comes out.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
After stating you are too lazy to get one, you chastise someone who also says they will not get one. Typical.
I chastise someone who acts as if they are making a grand sacrifice by moving states just to avoid a mandated covid vaccine when they somehow are ok taking other mandated vaccines

I have received probably 3-5 covid vaccines and cant recall getting any unusually bad colds or flus beyond the standard stuff. So i don't personally see it being worth going out of my way to get it.

If they offered it at my job, i would certainly get it. 8 definitely wouldn't change jobs out and pretend i am a freedom fighter to avoid it
 
I chastise someone who acts as if they are making a grand sacrifice by moving states just to avoid a mandated covid vaccine when they somehow are ok taking other mandated vaccines

I have received probably 3-5 covid vaccines and cant recall getting any unusually bad colds or flus beyond the standard stuff. So i don't personally see it being worth going out of my way to get it.

If they offered it at my job, i would certainly get it. 8 definitely wouldn't change jobs out and pretend i am a freedom fighter to avoid it
Only 3-5 vaccines? You need at least three times that many.
 
I am in a high risk group. My doctor recommends it so I’ll be getting it again. RSV, zoster and pneumococcal per doctor recommendation too. Flu shot too per doctor recommendation and because my workplace requires it.

I haven’t had a URI since the pandemic but I attribute that to the fact that I don’t have school age kids and I’m an obsessive hand washer.


IMG_2838.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven’t had a URI since the pandemic but I attribute that to the fact that I don’t have school age kids and I’m an obsessive hand washer.
I am just about NEVER sick and I also credit that to not having germ-riddled kids around me. 🙂

The only illness of note I've had in the last year was a GI bug that I blame on the hospital cafeteria salad bar. Probably just a coincidence but it's a suspicious one.

Other than that, in the last decade or so I got the flu once (2019?) and covid once (2024). I was miserable. I was so miserable with the flu that I actually called in sick to a locums job that paid me 3x my navy day job. I had covid on a camping trip and was so feverish I got up about a bunch of times in the night to go lay down in the river.

To avoid or mitigate that again, I'll get both shots this year.
 
I am in a high risk group. My doctor recommends it so I’ll be getting it again. RSV, zoster and pneumococcal per doctor recommendation too. Flu shot too per doctor recommendation and because my workplace requires it.

I haven’t had a URI since the pandemic but I attribute that to the fact that I don’t have school age kids and I’m an obsessive hand washer.


View attachment 424762
Shingrix beat the living snot out of me for a couple of days.
 
It's interesting to hear people's reaction to the COVID vaccine. I worked inpatient and was among the first health workers to get it in my state. I think it was Pfizer. I had no reaction at all. Felt perfectly normal. I got the second dose when working a COVID nurse travel assignment in the bay area. I never got COVID, despite working with COVID patients every day. No reaction to the second dose either. It makes me wonder if my immune system is responding. I got one booster the following year.

I don't have a reaction to the flu vaccine, either. Ironically got flu for the first time in the fall of 2020 despite getting the vaccine. I felt like death for almost a week with 103+ fever. Ended up in the ER. I haven't had a flu or covid vaccine in years. I probably should but I work remotely. I can't criticize someone for not getting it when I'm not motivated to get it.
 
This thread reminds me of a local surgeon in my area who refused the initial round of the vaccine when it was first made available/released to healthcare workers. Mid-60's guy, caucasian, otherwise pretty healthy from what I could tell, not obese, active, loved to golf. Shortly thereafter, he got covid and went from initial symptoms to severe hoarseness to the whole 9 yards of getting tubed/ICU/bronched/etc to dead in like a week. That thing was no joke man. There were 9/11's every damn day.
 
What is everyone doing regarding COVID vaccinations for 2026/2027?

I am personally not in a high risk group for severe illness, but elected to be vaccinated at the same time I received the influenza vaccine. As a 1099 I don't get any paid sick days, and have previously tolerated the vaccine without major issue. So it seemed like the correct move for me financially even aside from an aversion to illness.
Im gonna split my vaccine in 25 and cure my autism
 
This thread reminds me of a local surgeon in my area who refused the initial round of the vaccine when it was first made available/released to healthcare workers. Mid-60's guy, caucasian, otherwise pretty healthy from what I could tell, not obese, active, loved to golf. Shortly thereafter, he got covid and went from initial symptoms to severe hoarseness to the whole 9 yards of getting tubed/ICU/bronched/etc to dead in like a week. That thing was no joke man. There were 9/11's every damn day.
Can you be more specific? There is a big difference between not getting an initial vax/never been infected during the deadly days of 2020, and not getting a 3rd booster (and been infected one or multiple times already) when COVID is no longer especially virulent.

This thread seems a lot more of the latter than the former.
 
Can you be more specific? There is a big difference between not getting an initial vax/never been infected during the deadly days of 2020, and not getting a 3rd booster (and been infected one or multiple times already) when COVID is no longer especially virulent.

This thread seems a lot more of the latter than the former.

COVID is not especially virulent, but there is no guarantee it will remain that way. Also there remains a possibility of increased severity of disease with bacterial or other viral super infection. There also exists the possibility of non-severe symptoms during infection, but later having chronic issues (eg long covid).

So a wait and see approach will probably be fine, but also possibly not. Especially, on an individual level vs population level.

The similarities in this thread seem to be the belief that the negative consequences wont happen to them or that they will see it coming & intervene to prevent a negative outcome.
 
COVID is not especially virulent, but there is no guarantee it will remain that way. Also there remains a possibility of increased severity of disease with bacterial or other viral super infection. There also exists the possibility of non-severe symptoms during infection, but later having chronic issues (eg long covid).

So a wait and see approach will probably be fine, but also possibly not. Especially, on an individual level vs population level.

The similarities in this thread seem to be the belief that the negative consequences wont happen to them or that they will see it coming & intervene to prevent a negative outcome.
I haven’t seen a bad case of COVID in YEARS in my ER. Meanwhile the vaccine is certainly pro-inflammatory and not side-effect free. As a low risk individual, the risks/side effects of the vaccine seem worse than the risks of disease itself (I’ve been vaxxed 3 times and had the illness twice, I’m hardly an anti-vaxxer).

I think at this point there’s a very good argument to be made that the vaccine is bad medicine for low risk individuals.
 
I haven’t seen a bad case of COVID in YEARS in my ER. Meanwhile the vaccine is certainly pro-inflammatory and not side-effect free. As a low risk individual, the risks/side effects of the vaccine seem worse than the disease itself (I’ve been vaxxed 3 times and had the illness twice, I’m hardly an anti-vaxxer).

I think at this point there’s a very good argument to be made that the vaccine is bad medicine for low risk individuals.
So you saying since everyone got either got vaxed or died from covid you haven't seen a bad case of covid and now feel the vaccine is more harmful than covid. That would Align with anti vaccine
 
I haven’t seen a bad case of COVID in YEARS in my ER. Meanwhile the vaccine is certainly pro-inflammatory and not side-effect free. As a low risk individual, the risks/side effects of the vaccine seem worse than the risks of disease itself (I’ve been vaxxed 3 times and had the illness twice, I’m hardly an anti-vaxxer).

I think at this point there’s a very good argument to be made that the vaccine is bad medicine for low risk individuals.
The vaccine is significantly less inflammatory than the infection itself.
 
So you saying since everyone got either got vaxed or died from covid you haven't seen a bad case of covid and now feel the vaccine is more harmful than covid. That would Align with anti vaccine
Correct, now that people have been either vaccinated or exposed to the virus itself (or likely both, multiple times), the low risk people don’t need the vaccine anymore barring new developments in the virus.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The vaccine is significantly less inflammatory than the infection itself.
Of course, you are guaranteeing yourself the inflammation with the vaccine, and the vaccine has minimal protection from actually contracting the virus itself.

I’m really not taking what I think its a lunatic position. I’m very pro vax. I think in this specific use case, it’s probably not worth it for younger healthy individuals.
 
Can you be more specific? There is a big difference between not getting an initial vax/never been infected during the deadly days of 2020, and not getting a 3rd booster (and been infected one or multiple times already) when COVID is no longer especially virulent.

This thread seems a lot more of the latter than the former.
Yes this thread is much more the latter. What reminded me of that example was folks posting about their past experiences and such. Whether it's worth it to get the vaccine now is up to the individual. It's obviously nowhere near as deadly now but it can still lead to a pretty nasty illness. I have colleagues and partners who still deal with the after effects of it today and likely will for the rest of their lives.
 
I get it every year and will be getting it again this week. I used to get a viral ilness once or twice a year, but post-covid vaccines, I've had at most 3 total.
Whether there is cross reactivity with other coronaviruses or whether it's just amping up my immune system, I do not know, but it's been a game changer.
Additionally, my first Moderna vaccine also killed a massive, painful 35 year old plantar wart that I had tried EVERYTHING to get rid of.
 
I get it every year and will be getting it again this week. I used to get a viral ilness once or twice a year, but post-covid vaccines, I've had at most 3 total.
Whether there is cross reactivity with other coronaviruses or whether it's just amping up my immune system, I do not know, but it's been a game changer.
Additionally, my first Moderna vaccine also killed a massive, painful 35 year old plantar wart that I had tried EVERYTHING to get rid of.

How's your autism though