2026-2027 Rush Medical College

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Chicago, IL Rush University Rush Medical College Average GPAGPA 3.72 Average MCATMCAT 510 IS tuitionIS $57,778 OOS tuitionOOS $57,778 Application feeFee $100 RMC Details Interview Feedback School Secondaries

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center - Class of 2031 (2026-2027 Application Cycle)

Thread Purpose: This is the official discussion thread for applicants to the Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center applying during the 2026-2027 admissions cycle (matriculating Class of 2031). Share interview invites, acceptances, waitlist updates, secondary questions, and connect with fellow applicants.

Who Should Use This Thread:
  • Applicants to Rush Medical College for Fall 2027 matriculation
  • Current applicants seeking information about the admissions process

Key Application Information:

📝 Secondary Essay Questions:
Secondary Essay Questions will be updated when available for this cycle. Review the Rush Medical College secondary essay prompts database for prompts from previous years: Rush Medical College Secondary Essay Prompts

🔗 Helpful Resources:

How to Use This Thread:
  • Post interview invites with date/time to help others track timeline
  • Share acceptance/waitlist/rejection updates
  • Ask questions about secondaries, interviews, or school culture
  • Connect with fellow applicants

Thread Guidelines:
  • Be respectful and supportive
  • Verify all information with official school sources
  • Use search function before asking repeat questions
  • Celebrate acceptances, support those still waiting

Good luck to all applying!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how strong Rush's pre-screen is? I remember listening to an interview where they screen for "mission fit". I got a secondary and Rush is my dream, but I know they get sooo many apps each year :,)
 
1. Rush Medical College is located on Chicago’s near west side and serves a diverse patient population. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us about a life experience that has broadened your own world view or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from this experience.

2. Tell us about an experience within a healthcare environment that revealed the complexity of caring for others. How did your understanding evolve through reflection, observation, or continued engagement, and what did you learn about the responsibilities of medicine?

3. Some commitments grow deeper the longer we remain involved. Tell us about an experience that required sustained engagement with others. What drew you to it initially, what kept you engaged, and how did it influence the way you think about caring for others, serving communities, social responsibility, or contributing to something larger than yourself?

4. Advancing knowledge often begins with curiosity, persistence, and a willingness to question what is already known. Tell us about an experience, project, or question that demanded sustained inquiry from you. Where did it lead, and how did it shape the way you think about discovery, innovation, or lifelong learning?

5. Describe an experience that required you to persist, adapt, or rethink your approach in order to create meaningful progress. What kept you engaged, and how did the experience influence the way you approach leadership, accountability, or future challenges?
 
1. Rush Medical College is located on Chicago’s near west side and serves a diverse patient population. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us about a life experience that has broadened your own world view or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from this experience.

2. Tell us about an experience within a healthcare environment that revealed the complexity of caring for others. How did your understanding evolve through reflection, observation, or continued engagement, and what did you learn about the responsibilities of medicine?

3. Some commitments grow deeper the longer we remain involved. Tell us about an experience that required sustained engagement with others. What drew you to it initially, what kept you engaged, and how did it influence the way you think about caring for others, serving communities, social responsibility, or contributing to something larger than yourself?

4. Advancing knowledge often begins with curiosity, persistence, and a willingness to question what is already known. Tell us about an experience, project, or question that demanded sustained inquiry from you. Where did it lead, and how did it shape the way you think about discovery, innovation, or lifelong learning?

5. Describe an experience that required you to persist, adapt, or rethink your approach in order to create meaningful progress. What kept you engaged, and how did the experience influence the way you approach leadership, accountability, or future challenges?
thank you! what's the word/character limit?
 
I am pretty sure there is an error in their portal. It is not letting me input experience start dates after June 1 2025. Anyone else notice?
 
I am pretty sure there is an error in their portal. It is not letting me input experience start dates after June 1 2025. Anyone else notice?
I had this same problem yesterday. I stopped working on it because I hoped it would be fixed today, but I guess not lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Pretty sure the presecondary screen is just mcat/gpa
They probably screen based on the table below from their site. They also mention "As applicable for postbaccalaureate and graduate coursework: Submission of grades through AMCAS for at least 24 hours of postbaccalaureate or graduate coursework in the basic sciences or higher sciences achieving a 3.5 or higher science GPA and a 503 composite MCAT score."

1783627151108.png
 
Last edited:
How strict is Rush about their online coursework? I ask because I have received a secondary today. Should I submit it and try to ignore the elephant in the room (took physics 1 and 2)? Should I submit it and send a letter explaining why I took them online? Should I not bother submitting my secondary at all?

thanks! LM 65
 
How strict is Rush about their online coursework? I ask because I have received a secondary today. Should I submit it and try to ignore the elephant in the room (took physics 1 and 2)? Should I submit it and send a letter explaining why I took them online? Should I not bother submitting my secondary at all?

thanks! LM 65
I believe they are very strict, but you can reach out to them and ask.
 
1. Rush Medical College is located on Chicago’s near west side and serves a diverse patient population. We seek to train physicians who can connect with diverse patient populations with whom they may not share a similar background. Tell us about a life experience that has broadened your own world view or enhanced your ability to understand those unlike yourself and what you learned from this experience.

2. Tell us about an experience within a healthcare environment that revealed the complexity of caring for others. How did your understanding evolve through reflection, observation, or continued engagement, and what did you learn about the responsibilities of medicine?

3. Some commitments grow deeper the longer we remain involved. Tell us about an experience that required sustained engagement with others. What drew you to it initially, what kept you engaged, and how did it influence the way you think about caring for others, serving communities, social responsibility, or contributing to something larger than yourself?

4. Advancing knowledge often begins with curiosity, persistence, and a willingness to question what is already known. Tell us about an experience, project, or question that demanded sustained inquiry from you. Where did it lead, and how did it shape the way you think about discovery, innovation, or lifelong learning?

5. Describe an experience that required you to persist, adapt, or rethink your approach in order to create meaningful progress. What kept you engaged, and how did the experience influence the way you approach leadership, accountability, or future challenges?
Are these the only prompts or are there additional optional essays too?
 
Q10) If applicable, describe how the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted your application to and/or preparation for medical school. (Optional) (1000 characters max)

Q11) Use this space to provide additional information, that is non-COVID related, you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your application. (Optional) (1000 characters max)
 
How strict is Rush about their online coursework? I ask because I have received a secondary today. Should I submit it and try to ignore the elephant in the room (took physics 1 and 2)? Should I submit it and send a letter explaining why I took them online? Should I not bother submitting my secondary at all?

thanks! LM 65
It says on the site they won't take any online prereqs. It also says they're not taking any bio or chem credits older than five years....I probably shouldn't have submitted my primary as a nontrad who took those in 2014

 
Hey! Looking for some guidance. Im a non-trad applicant and took some pre-req courses online/hybrid as well. Not sure if I should just focus on other secondaries and take the L with this one.
 
Hey! Looking for some guidance. Im a non-trad applicant and took some pre-req courses online/hybrid as well. Not sure if I should just focus on other secondaries and take the L with this one.
I'm taking the L and not wasting my time since I emailed and they responded that I wouldn't be eligible. Also have seen a lot of other nontrads with older science credits get the same response unfortunately
 
I'm taking the L and not wasting my time since I emailed and they responded that I wouldn't be eligible. Also have seen a lot of other nontrads with older science credits get the same response unfortunately
Thank you for this! Im probably going to do the same. What's meant to be will be 🤞 good luck!
 
I went to college from 2020-2024, so basically the first 2 years of my undergrad were all remote or hybrid. When Rush says they don't accept online coursework, does anyone know if that includes courses done during the pandemic?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can email, but I am pretty sure that they are strict on this requirement.
I emailed them and this was their reply:

"RMC can accept online courses (excluding Biology and Chemistry prerequisite coursework) only if the coursework was completed during the COVID-19 pandemic (Spring 2020-Fall 2021). If the coursework was completed during that time frame, it can be used for our prerequisite requirements. If they were completed before or after the time frame, they will be ineligible to meet our requirements."
 
I emailed them and this was their reply:

"RMC can accept online courses (excluding Biology and Chemistry prerequisite coursework) only if the coursework was completed during the COVID-19 pandemic (Spring 2020-Fall 2021). If the coursework was completed during that time frame, it can be used for our prerequisite requirements. If they were completed before or after the time frame, they will be ineligible to meet our requirements."
This must be a new change. I’m a M2 here and had online coursework through 2023. I don’t remember it ever asking anywhere either if a class was online or not. Weird
 
I emailed them and this was their reply:

"RMC can accept online courses (excluding Biology and Chemistry prerequisite coursework) only if the coursework was completed during the COVID-19 pandemic (Spring 2020-Fall 2021). If the coursework was completed during that time frame, it can be used for our prerequisite requirements. If they were completed before or after the time frame, they will be ineligible to meet our requirements."
MSAR says that Rush's coursework requirements cannot be older than "Spring 2022 for Biology and Chemistry prerequisite coursework".

I completed General Biology I and General Chemistry I in Fall 2021, Biology II and Chemistry II in Spring 2022, and then completed upper-level genetics and science coursework through Spring 2025. Does this mean the Fall 2021 required coursework falls outside the acceptable timeframe? Based on the response they gave you, it seems like it would be fine, but should I still clarify? I feel like I am getting mixed signals and I hate it lol😭
 
MSAR says that Rush's coursework requirements cannot be older than "Spring 2022 for Biology and Chemistry prerequisite coursework".

I completed General Biology I and General Chemistry I in Fall 2021, Biology II and Chemistry II in Spring 2022, and then completed upper-level genetics and science coursework through Spring 2025. Does this mean the Fall 2021 required coursework falls outside the acceptable timeframe? Based on the response they gave you, it seems like it would be fine, but should I still clarify? I feel like I am getting mixed signals and I hate it lol😭
According to the website, "Applicants must also complete the Chemistry and Biology prerequisite coursework within five years of matriculation." Since you would be matriculating in 2027, your General Biology I and General Chemistry I likely do not count, unfortunately. You can still clarify! Hopefully, it works out 🙂
 
MSAR says that Rush's coursework requirements cannot be older than "Spring 2022 for Biology and Chemistry prerequisite coursework".

I completed General Biology I and General Chemistry I in Fall 2021, Biology II and Chemistry II in Spring 2022, and then completed upper-level genetics and science coursework through Spring 2025. Does this mean the Fall 2021 required coursework falls outside the acceptable timeframe? Based on the response they gave you, it seems like it would be fine, but should I still clarify? I feel like I am getting mixed signals and I hate it lol😭
Yes, unfortunately, it sounds like they will not accept the courses taken in Fall 2021, but you should 100% email them and double check. I followed up on their email to confirm the 5-year rule and whether the online restriction applied to bio/chem classes, and this is what they said:

"This is correct. As a requirement, all Biology and Chemistry prerequisite coursework must be completed in-person and within 5 years of matriculation, or Spring 2022 and afterwards. This would result in all online coursework for Biology/Chemistry being ineligible for meeting our prerequisites. If there are any courses completed for our Biology and Chemistry requirements prior to Spring 2022, they are ineligible to use in our prerequisite requirements."

EDIT: They did mention that some upper division Bio and Chem courses can satisfy the requirements, but they need to all be in person.
 
Last edited:
Yes, unfortunately, it sounds like they will not accept the courses taken in Fall 2021, but you should 100% email them and double check. I followed up on their email to confirm the 5-year rule and whether the online restriction applied to bio/chem classes, and this is what they said:

"This is correct. As a requirement, all Biology and Chemistry prerequisite coursework must be completed in-person and within 5 years of matriculation, or Spring 2022 and afterwards. This would result in all online coursework for Biology/Chemistry being ineligible for meeting our prerequisites. If there are any courses completed for our Biology and Chemistry requirements prior to Spring 2022, they are ineligible to use in our prerequisite requirements."

I'm pretty bummed out about it too, I already finished all my Rush secondaries, and I found out today I am no longer eligible to apply. Also confirmed with them today that the course I thought would count for their cell bio requirement doesnt work, so I just wasted so much time lol. Wishing you the best of luck!

EDIT: They did mention that some upper division Bio and Chem courses can satisfy the requirements, but they need to all be in person.
I realized I used my second-level courses (Spring 2022 or later) for all of my requirements except for the Biology Lab requirement. I emailed to ask if that is ok or if I can replace it with a Molecular Biology Lab I took later...Hopefully they will let me change it since I already submitted my secondary over two weeks ago! :,)
 
Hi everyone! I’m a biology pre-med student who’s interested in learning more about Rush. I’ve heard the school places a strong emphasis on community service. For current students or applicants who interviewed, what kinds of volunteer experiences seemed to fit Rush’s mission best? I’m hoping to become a stronger applicant over the next few years, so I’d appreciate any advice.
 
I realized I used my second-level courses (Spring 2022 or later) for all of my requirements except for the Biology Lab requirement. I emailed to ask if that is ok or if I can replace it with a Molecular Biology Lab I took later...Hopefully they will let me change it since I already submitted my secondary over two weeks ago! :,)
Update: They allowed me to edit that part of my application and input a different lab to meet the requirement, and now my complete date is showing yesterday. I'm assuming that means my app was bumped to the end of the line even though I submitted over two weeks ago... :/
 
+1 OOS secondary

what courses should I select for reading comprehension? I have two creative writing classes, but would it be safer to add classes in political science, psych, or religious studies? They would all fit the category.
 
Looks like Rush changed their website after the backlash about prerequisites “expiring” after 5 years

Edit: it also appears they removed the requirement that all prerequisites be in person


1787405387542.png
 
Looks like Rush changed their website after the backlash about prerequisites “expiring” after 5 years

Edit: it also appears they removed the requirement that all prerequisites be in person


View attachment 423495
Do you think I should email them to re-arrange my coursework since I already submitted trying to avoid that 5 year rule. I’m unsure if some of the courses I put would count towards the specific requirements.
 
Looks like Rush changed their website after the backlash about prerequisites “expiring” after 5 years

Edit: it also appears they removed the requirement that all prerequisites be in person


View attachment 423495
Huge dub.


I wonder if they changed it online, but they will be more strict on the people who took their classes online. Thoughts?
 
For the prerequisites section can I submit any course that falls under the category or does it need to be an intro course. For example, can I submit my Orgo 2 course instead of a Genchem course.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've looked everywhere and can't find it ahhh
I don't know when they changed the user interface, but mine looks different. You'll still have to go to your profile on the left margin, then Account details. Signature should be the fifth option under Settings:
Screenshot 2026-09-01 at 7.23.11 AM.png


Hope that helps!