21 Credits: Academic suicide or beneficial and doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mh2002ny

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I'm thinking of taking 21 credits this fall. They could consist of bio, chem, calc, foreign language, psych, and art history.

If I follow this path, am I doomed for failure or mediocre grades, or would I have a chance of doing well? Last spring, my first semester of college, I got a 4.0 with 19 credits, so I think I could probably handle 21. Did anyone else take 21 credits in a semester, and if so, how did you do? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It's definately doable. Will be tough.. but it's a can-do.. just sabotage everyone else so you're above the curve :-D

Originally posted by mh2002ny
Hi. I'm thinking of taking 21 credits this fall. They could consist of bio, chem, calc, foreign language, psych, and art history.

If I follow this path, am I doomed for failure or mediocre grades, or would I have a chance of doing well? Last spring, my first semester of college, I got a 4.0 with 19 credits, so I think I could probably handle 21. Did anyone else take 21 credits in a semester, and if so, how did you do? Thanks.

I've done it but I made it so I had one joke/easy A/sleepwalk class. And I scheduled all my classes over 3 days so I would have a five day weekend ;) to recuperate. So those 3 days were like a 9-5 job :laugh: I had my best gpa during the semesters I took alot of classes...I felt more motivated. But you need one or two cakewalk classes!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Its doable, especially if you did it with 19cr. Plan on having no social outings. At least I wouldn't be able to. I would be living in the library.

I have no problem studying all the time and basically living in the library, but what are some examples of "cakewalk classes?"

I have no problem studying all the time and basically living in the library, but what are some examples of "cakewalk classes?"

I dunno, for me it was Statistics (both semesters) and some Gen Req classes I had to take at my school, like some English courses and stuff.

I took 21 semester units this summer and got a 4.0. I also carried 18+ units most semesters and stayed about a 3.8. If you can do 19, you can do 21. :)

i took 20 last spring including spanish 3, chem 3 with lab, evolutionary bio with lab, english, and philosophy. i also was the pres of a student service group, volunteered at the hospital, and did research. I had a great time- pleanty of social life and I got a 4.0

Originally posted by rjmst
i took 20 last spring including spanish 3, chem 3 with lab, evolutionary bio with lab, english, and philosophy. i also was the pres of a student service group, volunteered at the hospital, and did research. I had a great time- pleanty of social life and I got a 4.0

:clap:

I also hope to join one or two student clubs, and also volunteer at the hospital. Hopefully I'll start doing research this spring after I finish with chem. This summer I've been volunteering at the hospital 12 hours a week, but I'm going to cut that down to 4 hours a week once school starts.

Definitely doable. I have been averaging 20 credits per semester my whole college career. If its only +2 credits then its no biggie. Also it depends probably 75% on where you go to school as well.

21 credits is a joke...i know, i took like 45 last year, and it was not hard. I am taking minimum 27 next semester (usually i sign up for more and then drop some, so i signed up for 33). this kid at cornell takes, no joke, 50 or 60 credits...he has like 6 or 7 majors. now that's suicide.

50 or 60 credits and 6 or 7 majors is scary:eek: . I can't see myself ever taking more than 23 or 24 credits in one semester. I'll also be going to Cornell, yup, for all of you who helped me decide on that a few weeks back thanks.

hi,

just figure out if you can handle the courses. Some courses can be MUCH more difficult then others, even if they are the same or even less units.
It depends a lot on the university, and the classes.
But, I did do better when I took more units, also. Maybe there is a thing about motivation. but, when I took moure units, they were also easier classes.
If you're starting research, count it equivalent to one course of efforts (and give it that justice).

sonya

I took 21 credits last fall and I agree with most- I think that was when I was most motivated. I took Chem I, Microbiology, Art History, Anthropology, Sociology, and a Humanities class. Got all A's and 1 B, and I still had somewhat of a social life.:)

The best answer to this question lies in your past experience, assuming you have performed semi-consistently in the past. It totally depends on the person, so if you have taken 17, 18, or 19 credits in one semester and performed well I think you could possibly handle 21--but it's still a risk, one that has to be weighed against the questionable benefits of an admissions committee even noticing your effort. On the other hand, if the most credits you've ever taken is 15, or you took 17 and got all B's, I definitely would not recommend such a heavy load. I've watched several of my own friends overload themselves because they wanted to get the classes out of the way despite their inability to perform well at average courseloads in previous semesters--needless to say, their report cards had mostly C's, D's, and F's.

Originally posted by judoka
21 credits is a joke...i know, i took like 45 last year, and it was not hard. I am taking minimum 27 next semester (usually i sign up for more and then drop some, so i signed up for 33). this kid at cornell takes, no joke, 50 or 60 credits...he has like 6 or 7 majors. now that's suicide.

What are talking about here? In two semesters and two summer sessions 50-60 credits combined? I ask because I've never had an advisor who would approve that many credits.

You said this was going to be your second semester, right? Why are you in such a big hurry? Just because you "could" take 21 hours, doesn't mean that you should. Take some time out for yourself and have as much fun as possible. If you are planning on going to med school, and ect. you are going to be in school a long long time, with plenty of years and semesters ahead of you. This whole "becoming a doctor"-thing isn't a sprint, its a marathon. My advice to you is pace yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
man..i take 12 credits per semester (seriously) and i occasionaly end up with 13 (stupid labs!) i spend time in summer school and crap...dont laught at me ..i'll bite you..if i want to sqander my money on tution and buy purple backpacks..well its my life!!

Originally posted by DieselPetrolGrl
man..i take 12 credits per semester (seriously) and i occasionaly end up with 13 (stupid labs!) i spend time in summer school and crap...dont laught at me ..i'll bite you..if i want to sqander my money on tution and buy purple backpacks..well its my life!!

ditto.. when I entered university, and in upper division.
but, at the end of the junior college years, i could muster 17-20 with 4.0s... ahh good days. granted those days included music appreciation courses

sonya