211 step chances for neuro or anaesthesia

Started by RainbowYoshi
Tags Tags
match
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RainbowYoshi

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey I have a pretty low step score 211. I was looking to apply either gas or neuro and was trying to find out realistically what my chances are. Can I get into a halfway decent program for either? How many should I apply to, how can I find a list of reasonable residences to apply to.
 
Hey I have a pretty low step score 211. I was looking to apply either gas or neuro and was trying to find out realistically what my chances are. Can I get into a halfway decent program for either? How many should I apply to, how can I find a list of reasonable residences to apply to.
I have a friend with same score who is an Osteopathic student. Don't know if you are a MD student or not. Does that change the playing field much?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So what I'm still trying to figure out would I have at a decent academic residency with either specialty or only community?
 
So what I'm still trying to figure out would I have at a decent academic residency with either specialty or only community?
That's probably a good question to ask one of your school's advisors. They can give you more information of your situation since they have had many students come through your school and know how they have done in the past. Plus they may be able to give you suggestions about other areas of your application to improve on.

So that step score is less than ideal, but know that it's only one aspect of your application. Work hard to do well in your clinical rotations in year 3, look to get great LORs, make sure to have volunteer and clinical experiences plus research if possible. Additionally start early and put in the extra effort for step 2. If you have a very good step 2 score that might be able to help alleviate some of the step 1 score concerns.

Additionally what the person meant is that many of the mid-west university programs can offer a good experience but since they are in the mid west and not in a desirable city on the coasts, many applicants do not look to apply to them. This often allows mid tier and lower tier applicants opportunities in these programs. However, for now focus on improving your application (I'm assuming your year 3), and then you can reevaluate what to do later.
 
So what I'm still trying to figure out would I have at a decent academic residency with either specialty or only community?
For neurology, you should be fine if you apply broadly. Most neurology programs are academic or pseudo academic (ie USC). The minority are community.
 
  • Like
Reactions: W19
If anesthesiology, for an MD student what's an acceptable Step 2 score for a low and mid-tier academic program? Ie does this have to be ~250 to compensate?
Probably a good question to ask one's school advisor who has had students in the situation and can give recommendations. One important note again is that step scores are never the only aspect of one's application.

Here are some useful links:
Program director survey (Page 9) is anesthesia: I'm not able to post links for some reason but google this: nrmp residency program director survey (It's the first link)
Charting Outcomes (there is a section just for anesthesia): I'm not able to post links but google this: nrmp residency charting outcomes 2018
The Average step 1 and step 2 scores for people who matched into anesthesia was: 232 and 242 respectively
HOWEVER, fo for Step 1 scores 210-220,, 130 matched into a program and 5 didn't.
There is also a lot of other helpful information there as well.

FINAL point, remember that if you are starting 3rd year and had a subpar step 1, make up for it by improving other aspects of your application whether that is research, community service, volunteer search, good clinical grades, a good step 2, etc.