212/89, low basic science gpa, how competitive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got back my step 1 score and was hoping I could get some feedback on how competitive I am for matching ob/gyn. Scored 212/89. My basic science gpa is below my school's average - mostly Bs and Cs, but no failures (ABCF scale). Also , I'm male since of I've heard that can help.

If I'm able to pull high clinical grades and hit the 90s on Step II, how competitive would you say I am? Should I try to target community programs or do you think I could match a good university program if I play my cards right (elective there, good letter).

Oh yeah, and I'm a non-US caribbean med student. Canadian though and will be doing all US rotations. It's one of the more "reputable" ones.

TIA.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Your first place to look for info should be at the NRMP's "Charting Outcomes" research report:

http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see it. It's a big pdf file with info on match statistics for most of the specialties, including OB/GYN.

In my opinion, you definitely need a high STEP 2 score, since 212 is lower than the average for successful applicants. Don't get discouraged, just do as well as you possibly can on STEP 2, so the programs can see that you know your stuff. You should also look into where your school has affiliations, and see if those hospitals offer Sub-I's or electives where you can really get to know a OB/GYN faculty member. As far as the Canadian thing goes, I'm not certain about this, but I think that will be a detriment to your app for US programs. Make sure you also apply to Canadian programs as well.

And, I'm also not sure about this, but I think the only thing being male will do for you is maybe make it easier for them to remember you after interviews, which may be a good thing. In fact, I think pediatrics actually has the fewest males applying these days.

Last edited:
First of all relax, your scores are OK for most programs. Remember that scores do not make the candidate, but they can break you. Your grades are not stellar but they are good enough to get you invites for interviews at many programs. You may have a tough time getting interviews from some the more competitive programs, but you should be OK for the most part.

Second, be cautious with what you hear and always consider the source of the information. Unless you hear it directly from a Faculty member or Program Director, I would definitely be suspect of any information that people will volunteer on this site. If you want real advice regarding your individual situation, I recommend that you contact a Mentor or Faculty member that has experience in the resident selection process.

Third and last, contrary to popular belief, it is not "easier" for males to get a spot in OB/Gyn. Yes, there are less of us out here, but I do not know of any program that is willing to "lower the standards" just to get more males. Do you honestly think that serious academic programs will purposefully pass over an excellent female candidate to take on a lesser male candidate? This whole concept is ludicrous and certainly does all men in OB/Gyn a disservice. In fact, many programs will avoid exposing the candidate's ethnicity, gender, age, citizenship, and picture when they are making the first cuts (i.e. sending out interview invites) in an effort to avoid any biases that these pieces of information may engender . These cuts are usually made by considering the information that is written on the application alone (i.e. grades, USMLE scores, evaluations, personal statement, and "other considerations"). Some programs go as far as hiding the candidates name completely to further avoid any biases that their names may create. Obviously the programs will know your gender by the time the interview rolls around, but if they have extended you an invite, it is only because of your merits and not because of your gender. After the interview, you may be "easier to remember" since you will be a minority, but this means nothing come rank night. Your whole application will still have to measure up to every one else's and will have to surpass all the others if you wish to be ranked high.

I hope this helps and good luck!

@VD Yeah, I skimmed that document before. Think I saw 219 was average for matched in 09. @JV I think that's solid advice about looking for a mentor. I'll look into that as soon as I'm settled in the US.