21AA, 3.8 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A_Local_Dude

Reaction score
Hi, I recently joined SDN. Please let me know if I should add or remove any schools from the list below.

Date of submission: 8/9
Overall GPA:3.84
Science GPA:3.83
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:3.81
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA 20 TS 21 PAT 24 QR 22 RC 18 BIO 19 GC 22 OC
State of Residence: Texas

Major: biology
Minor: none
Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 110+ hrs with a General Dentist
Volunteering Experience: 1100+ church volunteer
Employment: military
Research: none
Other Extracurriculars: military/rotc
Relevant Honors or Awards: deans list
LOR type and strength: 2 strong letters from science professors, 1 strong letter from a non science professor 1 strong letter from a general dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

Previously applied to med school once which i regret a lot. English is my second language so im worried about doing interviews with schools.

School list:
All 4 Texas schools
Roseman
AT still AZ and MO
Midwestern AZ
Nova
Lake erie
Michigan
Maryland

Which schools would you apply to if you were me and please explain why. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I recently joined SDN. Please let me know if I should add or remove any schools from the list below.

DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21AA 20 TS 21 PAT 24 QR 22 RC 18 BIO 19 GC 22 OC

Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

LOR type and strength: 2 strong letters from science professors, 1 strong letter from a non science professor 1 strong letter from a general dentist

Previously applied to med school once which i regret a lot. English is my second language so im worried about doing interviews with schools.

School list:
All 4 Texas schools
Roseman
AT still AZ and MO
Midwestern AZ
Nova
Lake erie

Michigan
Maryland

Which schools would you apply to if you were me and please explain why. Thank you all.
too many expensive private schools
there are cheaper private schools that you could apply to
also need more publics

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Minority? No
Reapplicant? Yes
Nontrad? No

School list:
All 4 Texas schools
Roseman
AT still AZ and MO
Midwestern AZ
Nova
Lake erie
Michigan
Maryland

Where did you apply last cycle? What were the results of last cycle (any interviews)?
I think your school list looks decent, but obviously your top choice would be a TX school
Practice your interview skills with family/friends/career center at school/advisors/professors

Reactions: 1 users
Where did you apply last cycle? What were the results of last cycle (any interviews)?
I think your school list looks decent, but obviously your top choice would be a TX school
Practice your interview skills with family/friends/career center at school/advisors/professors
Hi, thank you for your feedback. This is my first time applying to dental school. TMDSAS says I'm a reapllicant cuz I've applied to med school before.. sorry for the confusion.

I am worried because one of the dental school told me im already at a disadvantage for switching from premed. They said they never know if I want to become a nurse or pharmacist all of sudden in the future cuz I already made a switch once.

Hi, thank you for your feedback. This is my first time applying to dental school. TMDSAS says I'm a reapllicant cuz I've applied to med school before.. sorry for the confusion.

I am worried because one of the dental school told me im already at a disadvantage for switching from premed. They said they never know if I want to become a nurse or pharmacist all of sudden in the future cuz I already made a switch once.
Okay makes sense

That is a valid concern of theirs but as long as you have a solid reason for switching that you can back up with evidence (not that you were rejected from med and decided dent would be easier), you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay makes sense

That is a valid concern of theirs but as long as you have a solid reason for switching that you can back up with evidence (not that you were rejected from med and decided dent would be easier), you should be fine.
That makes sense. If tuition is not an issue for me but cost of living is, would you suggest schools other than what I put above??

That makes sense. If tuition is not an issue for me but cost of living is, would you suggest schools other than what I put above??
total cost of attendance is what you should be worried about...

No idea about COL of the cities some of those schools are in. I only know/care about the total cost of attendance that schools list on their website and that's how I decide if a school is expensive or not. You'd need to do your own research on which schools are in cities with low COL and then what their acceptance averages are.

I just received an interview invite from Midwestern AZ. But the earliest date available is Feb 3rd 2023. Am I that late in the cycle? This is the first interview and I have not heard back from the half of the schools I have applied to. I'll have to wait a half a year just to do an interview and wait even more to find out if I got accepted or not...

I just received an interview invite from Midwestern AZ. But the earliest date available is Feb 3rd 2023. Am I that late in the cycle? This is the first interview and I have not heard back from the half of the schools I have applied to. I'll have to wait a half a year just to do an interview and wait even more to find out if I got accepted or not...
You’re not that late. They probably scheduled you that far out as a means of you possibly getting accepted to another school and you’d cancel your interview with them to give someone else a chance. If you don’t get any interviews and don’t cancel then they might think you haven’t gotten in anywhere else and are more likely to attend. And because it’s past the December 1st deadline you could possibly receive an acceptance from them soon after and I’m pretty sure since it’s in February you’d only have a week or two to confirm enrollment and put a deposit down. It’s a strategic move by them in my opinion.

You’re not that late. They probably scheduled you that far out as a means of you possibly getting accepted to another school and you’d cancel your interview with them to give someone else a chance. If you don’t get any interviews and don’t cancel then they might think you haven’t gotten in anywhere else and are more likely to attend. And because it’s past the December 1st deadline you could possibly receive an acceptance from them soon after and I’m pretty sure since it’s in February you’d only have a week or two to confirm enrollment and put a deposit down. It’s a strategic move by them in my opinion.
Never thought about that perspective. Thank you for explaining it. I know I shouldn't be but I'm worried that it is September soon and I'm not hearing anything from many schools. Do you think I should add some more now to increase the chance or is that too much? Do I just need to be patient and be satisfied with my school list?

Never thought about that perspective. Thank you for explaining it. I know I shouldn't be but I'm worried that it is September soon and I'm not hearing anything from many schools. Do you think I should add some more now to increase the chance or is that too much? Do I just need to be patient and be satisfied with my school list?
I think your school list is fine(honestly 13 schools is probably a little overkill with a 3.8 and 21AA but I could be wrong), and you have the best chance at your IS schools. I wouldn't spend more money than you have to, and given your stats, you have a good shot at getting in. I would just be patient. I'm also waiting to hear back from my schools as well, the wait is killing me! But, I know that most don't start sending out at least for another couple of weeks or so. So hold on and give it some time, the best is yet to come.