WAMC 3.8 GPA 19AA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancingflower1

Reaction score
Date of submission: 8/3/23
Overall GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.80
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA 19
TS 19
PAT 18
Bio 21
GC 19
OC 16 (idk what happened here, I ran out of time and panicked)
RC 24
QR 17
State of Residence: Kansas

Undergrad Attended: FHSU
Major: Biology (pre-health professions)
Minor: Chemistry
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
I am kind of non traditional. I decided in my third year of college to pursue dentistry. I am going into my fifth year as an undergrad.

Shadowing Experience:
60 with general dentists
10 with Oral Surgeon
32 with Periodontist
8 with endodontist
8 with orthodontist
Volunteering Experience:
Pianist for my church's mass ~50 hours (on-going)
Sunday School Teacher ~30 hours
Food Pantry volunteer for my on campus food pantry ~40 hours (on-going)
Peer Mentor for the Honors College~ 30 hours
Employment:
6 years as a waitress for the same restaurant ~ 2000 hours (on-going)
1 year as a Hospital Office Assistant ~ 500 hours
1 academic year as an RA ~200 hours
1 summer as a NOYCE Summer Scholar. I organized and taught STEM camps to children during this experience. ~200 hours
1 year as a Contortion and Circus Acrobatics instructor/performer ~40 hours (on-going)

Research: Current research with my Organic Chemistry Professor. I am hoping to present this spring.
I also got offered a research position my Freshman year with my Zoology prof. However, Covid happened right after she offered me the position and we all got kicked off campus so I was unable to participate in her research. I included this in the Covid section of the application.
Other Extracurriculars:
VIP Student Ambassador 1 year
Treasurer of the Pre-Dental Club 1 year (on-going)
Member of the Astronomy Club 2 years (on-going)
Contortionist/circus acrobat/foot archer: I perform for my school's half time shows at basketball games and teach lessons. Don't really have a set number of hours and I've been doing it since I was 12. I won a scholarship from my school for my contortion performance at their talent show last year.

Relevant Honors or Awards:
Dean's Honor Roll every semester I've been in college
Part of my school's Honors College. I've received STEM scholarships from them for my academic performance and volunteered for them
Part of my school's Honors Society for having a 3.8 minimum GPA
Awarded the Kansas Masonic Lodge General Scholarship for an essay I wrote

LOR type and strength:
1 from my Organic Chemistry Prof- Strong
1 from the Honors College Director - Strong
1 from the periodontist I shadowed -Strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

My personal statement is pretty unique I feel like. Essentially, I had botched dental implants when I was 19 that gave me a severe infection and has led to extensive repair work and many further surgeries. It was initially really awful and made me terrified of going to the dentist but then I found a real interest and passion for it. That's a very short summary but I feel like it isn't "cookie cutter" and explains why being a dentist is so important to me.
Fine Motor Skills: Piano my whole life, knitting, embroidery
Red Flags: My DAT. I took it July 31st and I did not do nearly as well as I was on my practice exams which really disappointed me. I'm not sure if I should retake it or not. I really think I could do better on it, but I get very anxious taking standardized tests and usually don't end up doing as good as I know I could.
School list:

UMKC
Creighton
Kansas City School of Dentistry in Joplin
I know my list is small but these are the schools I'm really most interested in going to. I also didn't want to spend thousands on apps because I just really didn't have the money to.

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission: 8/3/23
Overall GPA: 3.87
Science GPA: 3.80
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA 19
TS 19
PAT 18
Bio 21
GC 19
OC 16 (idk what happened here, I ran out of time and panicked)
RC 24
QR 17
State of Residence: Kansas

Undergrad Attended: FHSU
Major: Biology (pre-health professions)
Minor: Chemistry
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
I am kind of non traditional. I decided in my third year of college to pursue dentistry. I am going into my fifth year as an undergrad.

Shadowing Experience:
60 with general dentists
10 with Oral Surgeon
32 with Periodontist
8 with endodontist
8 with orthodontist
Volunteering Experience:
Pianist for my church's mass ~50 hours (on-going)
Sunday School Teacher ~30 hours
Food Pantry volunteer for my on campus food pantry ~40 hours (on-going)
Peer Mentor for the Honors College~ 30 hours
Employment:
6 years as a waitress for the same restaurant ~ 2000 hours (on-going)
1 year as a Hospital Office Assistant ~ 500 hours
1 academic year as an RA ~200 hours
1 summer as a NOYCE Summer Scholar. I organized and taught STEM camps to children during this experience. ~200 hours
1 year as a Contortion and Circus Acrobatics instructor/performer ~40 hours (on-going)

Research: Current research with my Organic Chemistry Professor. I am hoping to present this spring.
I also got offered a research position my Freshman year with my Zoology prof. However, Covid happened right after she offered me the position and we all got kicked off campus so I was unable to participate in her research. I included this in the Covid section of the application.
Other Extracurriculars:
VIP Student Ambassador 1 year
Treasurer of the Pre-Dental Club 1 year (on-going)
Member of the Astronomy Club 2 years (on-going)
Contortionist/circus acrobat/foot archer: I perform for my school's half time shows at basketball games and teach lessons. Don't really have a set number of hours and I've been doing it since I was 12. I won a scholarship from my school for my contortion performance at their talent show last year.

Relevant Honors or Awards:
Dean's Honor Roll every semester I've been in college
Part of my school's Honors College. I've received STEM scholarships from them for my academic performance and volunteered for them
Part of my school's Honors Society for having a 3.8 minimum GPA
Awarded the Kansas Masonic Lodge General Scholarship for an essay I wrote

LOR type and strength:
1 from my Organic Chemistry Prof- Strong
1 from the Honors College Director - Strong
1 from the periodontist I shadowed -Strong
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
My personal statement is pretty unique I feel like. Essentially, I had botched dental implants when I was 19 that gave me a severe infection and has led to extensive repair work and many further surgeries. It was initially really awful and made me terrified of going to the dentist but then I found a real interest and passion for it. That's a very short summary but I feel like it isn't "cookie cutter" and explains why being a dentist is so important to me.
Fine Motor Skills: Piano my whole life, knitting, embroidery
Red Flags: My DAT. I took it July 31st and I did not do nearly as well as I was on my practice exams which really disappointed me. I'm not sure if I should retake it or not. I really think I could do better on it, but I get very anxious taking standardized tests and usually don't end up doing as good as I know I could.
School list:
UMKC
Creighton
Kansas City School of Dentistry in Joplin
I know my list is small but these are the schools I'm really most interested in going to. I also didn't want to spend thousands on apps because I just really didn't have the money to.
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any d schools?

Yes I shadowed at the UMKC school of dentistry in April and I also visited there with the admissions department
ok, good

you shouldn't retake the dat for this cycle, because you need to wait 3 months before you can take it again, and that would make your app too late

you've done all you could so far, so all you can do is trust the process...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ok, good

you shouldn't retake the dat for this cycle, because you need to wait 3 months before you can take it again, and that would make your app too late

you've done all you could so far, so all you can do is trust the process...
Okay, I was thinking if I get rejections to retake it for the next cycle. I'm really hoping my gpa and the rest of my app makes up for that being a little bit low

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, I was thinking if I get rejections to retake it for the next cycle. I'm really hoping my gpa and the rest of my app makes up for that being a little bit low
That sounds like a plan. Is there anything else you think could help with holistic review? Mission fit?

That sounds like a plan. Is there anything else you think could help with holistic review? Mission fit?
I included how I grew up on rural Kansas and want to continue living and working in a rural area of Kansas which I feel is something that fits with the schools I applied to. I feel like I’m overall pretty well rounded with a diverse set of interests and I tried to show that on my app

Reactions: 1 users