22 on AAMC 3! Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salsasunrise123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
So I just took AAMC 3 today and got a 22. I was not expecting this at all because I have done TBR for chem and physics and science workbook for bio. My tbr chapter scores have all been in the 10-11 range and I scored 78% on bio self-assessment, so I don't know what went wrong. I went 7-9-6. For PS, I was completely lost in reading the passages and felt nothing but panic and confusion. I had trouble recalling basic content. It was bad. I don't know if it was because this was the first time I took a full length on computer or what. I know the content so I am really at a loss right now. As for bio I think fatigue was a factor for sure. I take the MCAT at end of month and need a 27. I could really use some guidance. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Atleast for me personally my actual score was way higher then pratices tests (aamc) I took. I think the actuall test enviorment helps as atleast for me I was better able to focus. I'm a sucky pratice test taker I need the real thing. So I wouldn't lose hope but this is a major cause for concern.

Was it a timing issue as that can ruin your score. Sometimes that is why you score so much lower then normal. I would pratice keeping within 8 minutes per passage. I would also if i was you take more aamc tests too see if that 22 is a fluke or not

Maybe you can try SN2's hat trick method to work on recalling material. Although I don't doubt that you know it, maybe you're just having trouble putting it all together.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might have been fatigued. I know the first few times I took a full test I was just so tired until I started getting my break snacks down and stuff like that. Was there noise when you took the test? Noise always irritates/ distracts me!

Full length tests are always the best indication OP. So here is what I recommend: 1. Review this test with a fine toothed comb. Scores are usually the result of content gaps. I started out in the low 20's as well, but that was before I took physics and before I reviewed Bio, now my AAMC average is reaching 29.
2. Take more tests, obviously.

Honestly I don't think you need to be super worried about the whole thing.

Since you're taking your test at the end of the month, you do have time to get used to the whole "test" taking mentality and strategy. All you need is the stamina for it. You have 10 more practice exams, so use them well in accordance with stamina and with the timing of them. Always take them during a real-test strategy and from now on when you're doing practice problems in your free time, don't write in the book or on the questions, just use scratch paper.

If you're confident in your content review, then just focus on the above and look at the infinite amounts of knowledge in this forum to help yourself find more tips.

However, I always believe that if you REALLY know your stuff like the back of your hand, then that'll help you keep calm too.

Passages passages passages are the key. Even doing some passages at the end of a long day of work will increase you stamina.