23 Credit Hours/Semester - Is it Doable Freshman Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The fact that youre critically analyzing a thread with posts from random people makes me think you dont have anything better to do, hence your decision to take 23 units...your freshman year.

Critically analyzing? Take a look at my previous posts on this thread. They're simple, straightforward responses where I either clarify things or ask questions of my own about the issue. If you're referring to the one time where I break up an entire quote when responding to a person, then I wouldn't consider that as "critically analyzing" anything at all. It just makes it easier for the intended reader to know what I'm referring to when I say something. By the way, I never fully went through/registered to take 23 credits - this was just an idea, a plan, which I too had my own numerous doubts on, so I felt that it was best to see how others on a notably reliable and helpful site think about it. Even though I have spent less than an hour reading/posting on this thread, wouldn't you think that it's reasonable for an incoming freshman to be concerned about how his first year would likely end up going?

Youll have less and less chances to grow outside the classroom as the years go on. This is actually very important if you want to be a physician. People cant relate to a study dud and life experiences will help you out in that arena. Your freshman year especially, youll be meeting people who will help define you college experience. Do yourself a favor and drop to a normal courseload so its physically possible to actually do those things. Especially if you dont end up getting a 4.0 you will regret it big time.

These are very good points and are a few of the reasons why I've decided on restricting my semesters to 16/17 credit hours.

Now if youre lightyears mature for your age and can handle big boy things and have a plan to graduate early then it might be a good option but if youre just planning run of the mill premed coursework, its not advisable to do such a thing when you 1 havent demonstrated any sort of ability to handle a full college courseload 2 should be taking extra time outside the classroom to create a life for yourself in college and 3 have no pressing financial reason to do so.

I have no intention of graduating early - after clearing up my misunderstandings a while back in this thread, I realized how bad of an idea my initial plan was and how I wouldn't have time for anything else. So... I haven't demonstrated my ability to handle a full college course load? Not to sound pompous here, but as someone who's taken O-Chem and math up to Analysis/DiffEQ, all while in high school along with some of the more difficult/time-consuming AP classes, I felt relatively prepared to take a full college course load (again, the 18+ credits thing was ridiculous and I still had many of my own doubts when thinking of doing it - but none of this matters now since we both agree that the initial plan is horrible).
 
You can do it, but you shouldn't do it. There's no reason to take 23 credits per semester your freshman year. Drop the writing and do some shadowing or volunteering once a week instead.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, I'm trying to think of a new schedule that's only around 16 or so credit hours.

This is a good idea. There's absolutely no reason for you to be taking so many credits. You have no idea how hard/easy these courses will be, just because you took the AP equivalent. Depending on where you are going to college, everyone (or almost everyone) in your class may have also taken the AP equivalent. This would then confer you no advantage, and the course could be curved. The hardest thing about college, for me, was that everyone had done just as well (or better, since my college was a reach school for me) than I had done in high school. Thus, though high school prepared me to do well, I could only excel with lots of time and commitment dedicated to my courses. College is not at all like high school (though maybe it depends on where you went to high school or where you're going to college).

Also, you may find your course work interesting, and you may want to spend more time learning about things or researching for a paper. It's nice to have that time and not be worrying about a million different classes at once.
 
It all depends on the person and what they're comfortable with. A solid GPA with 46credits after freshman year will REALLY open up alot of doors for you in terms of scholarships, clubs, study abroad opportunity, internships, research assistant for prof., TA, etc.

only downside is that you'll do poorly. which you can still do poorly with a 12cred semester.
 
It's not the number of credits, it is the courses that those credits were composed of that was the problem.
Again, depends on the student. Mine included DiffEQ, Physics II, engineering analysis, and comp sci. It's tough, yes, but it's not some herculean task.

Don't they say that MS1 and MS2 are equivalent to about 30-35 credits per semester?
 
Again, depends on the student. Mine included DiffEQ, Physics II, engineering analysis, and comp sci. It's tough, yes, but it's not some herculean task.

Don't they say that MS1 and MS2 are equivalent to about 30-35 credits per semester?
This is also his first semester though- you need time to adjust to college post-high school imo.