235/99 step1 score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

combat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if 235/99 step1 score will land me pathology residency (forensic).

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Lets consult the magic 8-ball

magic8ballbetternottell.jpg

Maybe try later

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol..got my answer from different thread. Thanks!

if you're a putz, no score is good enough. if you're a normal human being, yes, that score is adequate to get into a pathology residency in the US.

Somehow the former seems more likely...:nod:

For anyone considering pathology, please only do so because you genuinely enjoy it and feel very strongly that this is the right career for you. Having been on my 4th year clerkship in path, I can say that you will regret the move if you go into it with the wrong motivations (ie. just because my board scores are good enough). I will say it again in case you missed it, you will regret the move if you go into it with the wrong motivations (ie. just because my board scores are good enough).

perhaps, but i'm indulging the guy/gal and answering the question accurately, right? i suppose i should also point out to him/her that forensic pathology is a fellowship, and one does not "land" an FP position straight out of medical school, at least not in this country.

Somehow the former seems more likely...:nod:

I tend to have doubts about the validity of any 99 Step 1 from someone unwilling or unable to briefly look around for or at any of the very recent near identical questions and threads.

I also totally agree that putzi need not apply. In pathology, programs want to know that you have some realistic idea of what you're getting into and a real notion of why you like it. If you haven't rotated in a working AP/CP practice, then you almost certainly don't. Forensic path isn't on its own -- still have to get through at least 3 years of AP in order to subspecialize. And a lot of people with a 99 Step 1 are decidedly not cut out for it.

well said, KC. i'm coming out of a residency that's had a few people leave for other specialties in the last few years, so knowing that the applicant knows what pathology is about is probably as important to them as most any other factor.

Because you have a genuine interest in the field and are pursuing it because you truly enjoy it, not because it's an "easy" field to get into or may be more lifestyle-friendly than some other fields.

Because you have a genuine interest in the field and are pursuing it because you truly enjoy it, not because it's an "easy" field to get into or may be more lifestyle-friendly than some other fields.

I don't think that the problem is that people are matching who don't have an interest in pathology. It's more like the fact that people who have an interest are not matching because they're worried about becoming obsolete or not getting a job, based primarily on this forum.

I don't think that the problem is that people are matching who don't have an interest in pathology. It's more like the fact that people who have an interest are not matching because they're worried about becoming obsolete or not getting a job, based primarily on this forum.

My agenda is to recruit excellent people to the field. This is why I post actual data about the job market in an attempt to provide accurate information, rather than ancedotal comments.