24 credit load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zealotmarine

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a junior who has taken the following course loads(13,15,9(summer), 16, 15, 4(summer), 17(this semester). I have been able to hold a very high GPA(3.95+), but I am well aware my semester loads have not been exactly heavy. Many of my fellow classmates hold a similar(or even higher GPA) with a constant workload of 18 or higher.

I am confident that I am capable of taking it up another notch. In fact, I am positive I can, as these past semesters have been pretty easy on me.

I have a compiled schedule that adds up to 24, as shown below:

Spanish 2 - 4 cds.
Honors Bio Research - 2 cds.
Analytical Chemistry - 3 cds.
Communication - 3 cds.
History - 4 cds.
Honors Course - 4 cds.
Sociology course - 4 cds.

It seems like a lot, but most of these courses(as you can tell), are gen eds.

My question to you guys is - Do you think it is a lot? Do Adcoms care a lot about course load? My gut feeling, and common sense tell me so, but am I really convincing them I am capable of handling a big load, when most of the courses are not even Science?

Thanks for your time..

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's a lot of credits at one time..... However, you are the only one that can really decide if it's too many. You are kind of gambling with your GPA if you do it, but good luck :) Some gen eds can surprise you. I assumed my sociology class this semester was going to be a breeze.... definitely wrong. It wasn't really that bad, but just more than I expected. It depends on the professor.

Yes i think it is alot, and it is crazy to take 24 credits cuz u either will withdraw from some classes or you'll fail some of them. However, it is really depends on if u work, volunteer or like to hang out with friends...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what adcom thinks, but I just finish this semester and I took 24 hours, with it being 3 science(Org 1, Physics 1, and 300 lvl physiology) 2 math(calculus 2 & statistic) and two other elective. Impossible? no, but it's was a good challenge.

I don't know what adcom thinks, but I just finish this semester and I took 24 hours, with it being 3 science(Org 1, Physics 1, and 300 lvl physiology) 2 math(calculus 2 & statistic) and two other elective. Impossible? no, but it's was a good challenge.

Dude... that's amazing. Congrats. I think that ADCOMS obviously want to select students who can handle a huge course load, and they can only gauge this by looking at the # and type of courses each student takes each semester, but some people have told me they don't care at all... so i don't know what to do :confused:

Dude... that's amazing. Congrats. I think that ADCOMS obviously want to select students who can handle a huge course load, and they can only gauge this by looking at the # and type of courses each student takes each semester, but some people have told me they don't care at all... so i don't know what to do :confused:

I don't know about other schools, but I spoke to the director of adcom and she said they do look at your course load. def don't want to see anyone taking it safe with 12 hrs semester consistently

p.s reason being, they want to see your ability to be able to handle the work load. because you're gonna get it in med school for sure

Is it worth risking your GPA? I mean if you get 1 B that 3.95+ you've worked for is ruined, and analytical chemistry at my institution is a time consuming course. The way it is run is a large amount of lab hours per week mixed with regular amount of classroom lecture hours per week. I do understand that the classes you are taking aren't all high-level sciences and what-not, but they are still all college classes and if you truly believe you will be able to manage your time wisely and efficiently then by all means go for it, but you also must be aware that if you do screw up med-schools aren't going to show you mercy because you took 24 credit hours and it may be a mistake you regret. If I had a 3.95 I would want to cherish it, plus you seem like you're on track to graduate early as it is with all your summer classes I really don't see the need to take 24 in a single semester.

Edit: I don't know how analytical chem is run at your school so it may be completely different than at mine, I've just heard nightmare stories about it, so I thought I would mention that.

I would drop at least one class. There are only 2 types of students at my school who take over 20 credits - triple majors and art/dace/creative majors. A 3.95 is really hard to mantain, and you don't need to take 24 credits to prove yourself

I would drop at least one class. There are only 2 types of students at my school who take over 20 credits - triple majors and art/dace/creative majors. A 3.95 is really hard to mantain, and you don't need to take 24 credits to prove yourself

I've never understood why some people want to take such heavy course loads. Most I ever took was 6 3-credit classes at one time and it was HORRIBLE. I'd never wish that on anyone. Between class, work, and volunteering, I had almost zero social life and it sucked. As I just said in another thread, we'll have plenty of chances to have tough semesters/years/lives in med school, and undergrad should be enjoyed. :)

Why ruin your GPA even if it only drops from 3.95 to 3.85? Take a couple less and work on maintaining or improving the GPA you have. Many ADCOM's do look at course-load, but it's only going to help you if you do stellar. I wouldn't risk the chance of losing points in your GPA to make it show you took a heavier course load.

Hi guys,

I am a junior who has taken the following course loads(13,15,9(summer), 16, 15, 4(summer), 17(this semester). I have been able to hold a very high GPA(3.95+), but I am well aware my semester loads have not been exactly heavy. Many of my fellow classmates hold a similar(or even higher GPA) with a constant workload of 18 or higher.

I am confident that I am capable of taking it up another notch. In fact, I am positive I can, as these past semesters have been pretty easy on me.

I have a compiled schedule that adds up to 24, as shown below:

Spanish 2 - 4 cds.
Honors Bio Research - 2 cds.
Analytical Chemistry - 3 cds.
Communication - 3 cds.
History - 4 cds.
Honors Course - 4 cds.
Sociology course - 4 cds.

It seems like a lot, but most of these courses(as you can tell), are gen eds.

My question to you guys is - Do you think it is a lot? Do Adcoms care a lot about course load? My gut feeling, and common sense tell me so, but am I really convincing them I am capable of handling a big load, when most of the courses are not even Science?

Thanks for your time..

Don't do it if you don't have good time management. I usually take 18 credits but I'm always stick to my schedule. Even if I miss 1 day I get behind a lot. So long story short, its possible but with a good time management. Good luck.

I tried taking 23 credits one semester by doubling up on French literature courses (in addition to my engineering core courses) and it was the worst decision I made in undergrad. I ended up withdrawing from one of the lit courses because I just couldn't keep up with the reading.

I took 20 one semester and it's not fun, believe me. But I also had to spend 30-40 hrs a week in a gym and 10 more hours working, so it'd be doable. Get used to not being able to sit down and enjoy a meal. Appreciate the time you are with other people, even if it is in class or lab, because once you get bummed about all your friends going out and you not being able to, it starts to go downhill fast from there. I don't know how far you are from home, but trips to see family were out as well. Plan on spending 20+ hours on the weekends doing hw. Like someone before me said, good time management is key.