24 Hr Shifts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manny99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its been discussed a little bit but is there anyone that is actually doing 24 hr shifts and how is that working out? I want to live somewhere rural and the idea of 7-8 24s a month is pretty appealing... someone please crush my dreams

Members don't see this ad.

No dream crushing here...my group has a contract where 24's are pretty doable. It's right outside of Austin. Some of the full-time docs actually work 72's (Fri/Sat/Sun).

Look us up when your long road comes to an end and you're looking for a job!

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance, but are you allowed to sleep on a 24 hour shift?

Members don't see this ad :)
lots of smaller er's that see <15k pts/yr have 24 or even 48 hr shifts. at one of my current jobs I do 16 hr shifts and some other folks do 20 hr shifts.
typically you have a call room right off the er to sleep, take a shower, eat, etc
lots of these jobs in the NE and upper midwest.
sweetest gig out there is the er on catalina island. 1 week long shifts. avg volume 1 pt/day. you only need to be available within 20 min which allows you to roam most of the island, play golf, etc they have 2 full time guys who alternate week on/week off and an rn who is physically in the dept 24/7.

Thanks for the responses guys. Upper midwest is somewhere I'm wanting to practice when I'm out.