25 credits a semester - doable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not.a.Doc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think 25 credits a semester is doable or a disaster?

15 Credits at a new institution (3rd semester)

Probably taking:

-General Chemistry I
-Microbiology
-English Composition II
-some electives

4 credits (A & P) at my community college (to finish some certificate)

and 6 credit EMT class

On top of a part-time job (10-18 hours a week) + 40 hours volunteering commitment a month

Doable or not?

Members don't see this ad.

It's doable, but incredibly risky. Only you can know if you have the mettle to take on that kind of workload, but I would lean on the side of caution and drop some classes. That being said, I have known people to do something similar to you. You should be the judge.

It's doable, but incredibly risky. Only you can know if you have the mettle to take on that kind of workload, but I would lean on the side of caution and drop some classes. That being said, I have known people to do something similar to you. You should be the judge.

What do you think I should drop?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think I should drop?
I would drop the electives if possible. You should keep on track to graduate on time, so if that's not possible, maybe the EMT class (if you aren't totally invested). EMT is good experience, but you might be able to spend your time better. I think you should get settled in you new school. I would prioritize keeping my GPA up and volunteering.

For the sake of your own sanity do not do that. At least try to reduce your credit load. No more than 18 credits

Reactions: 1 users
All depends on you. I know people who took 21+ credits and excelled, and people who took <15 and failed. However, if you have to ask if it's doable, it's probably not worth the risk.

Reactions: 3 users

Probably taking:

-General Chemistry I
-Microbiology
-English Composition II
-some electives

and 6 credit EMT class

On top of a part-time job (10-18 hours a week) + 40 hours volunteering commitment a month

Doable or not?
Drop the EMT class and A&P class
You are already taking 15 credits, part time job and volunteering. Better to maintain a higher GPA with those extracurricular and do the EMT in the spring/summer when you have more time. Then you can replace your current part time job with the EMT after the summer. ta-da!!!!!!

Probably taking:

-General Chemistry I
-Microbiology
-English Composition II
-some electives

and 6 credit EMT class

Doable or not?
I would think its doable, but grades have to come first. If your doubting your ability to keep up with all of these things, I would cut back the hours you'd be volunteering and the hours at work.

Sent from my Coolpad 3320A using SDN mobile

I did 20 creds a semester, taking physics, biochem, and upper level bio, 20 hrs research a week, volunteering here and there, and all the responsibilities and activities of parenting two kids

It felt hectic at the time, always go go go, but I felt at the time that it was doable and I was managing well. Now, looking back, I think that was the most miserable year of my life. Seriously.

If you want to make that sacrifice and possibly be unhappy for a semester, you will get through it. But is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Save that kind of workload for medical school. Trust me, you'll thank yourself later.

I did 20 creds a semester, taking physics, biochem, and upper level bio, 20 hrs research a week, volunteering here and there, and all the responsibilities and activities of parenting two kids

It felt hectic at the time, always go go go, but I felt at the time that it was doable and I was managing well. Now, looking back, I think that was the most miserable year of my life. Seriously.

If you want to make that sacrifice and possibly be unhappy for a semester, you will get through it. But is it worth it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

b92.gif

Reactions: 2 users
You can try it but remember that effort put into work doesn't matter, results do. IF you think you can get good grades in all of those courses, do it. I'd say drop something to keep yourself sane though.

Members don't see this ad :)
25 is possible. I did it myself. However, I do not think you are setting yourself up for success doing 25 credits, volunteering 10 hours a week, and working another 15-20 for money. If you dropped the job then you'd probably be able to make it. Probably not worth the risk at all.

Last edited:
I did 21.5 once and it was tough man. I still made deans list by the grace of god but I was so stressed that entire semester. I wouldn't do it again and can't reccomend it to anyone. I can't imagine 25

Doable? Maybe.
Advisable? Probably not.

But only you can answer this for yourself.

I went pre-med from the start and placed out of 9 credit hours prior to matriculation. I did 18 credit hours each of the first five semesters and took 21 credit hours in the sixth semester and graduated in three years at UT-Austin, with highest honors. It was hard, but doable; I'm not sure if 25 credit hours in a semester is even allowed...

Doable, but stupid.

Probably taking:

-General Chemistry I
-Microbiology
-English Composition II
-some electives

and 6 credit EMT class

Doable or not?

I did quite a few quarters of 21-24 credits. Did well but....

...Would not recommend it if it's avoidable.

It's not the credits that matter, it's the time-suck.

25 credits of online, study at your own pace courses? Doable.

25 credits of courses with required attendance at lab and in-class plus reports and homework and going between multiple locations? Maybe doable, but likely disastrous.

Drop the EMT course for now, get settled, and take it in the summer. The material may just be memorization, but the in-person time commitment will be what gets you.

If you want to take 25 hours for the sake of taking 25 hours and telling everyone, make sure it's a bunch of easy-for-you classes without much required beyond tests or easy-graded assignments.

Med schools don't really look at your course-load, they look at your results.

I can't drop the EMT class (or I will be kicked out of my volunteering).

I don't think I can manage it time-wise, especially with 1+ hour commuting to my job.

It's a new job so I can't quit, I am doing it (for one semester) to gain experience to work in another place.

I will feel bad if I drop the second volunteering, because I have only been there for two months (I will do one day-24 hours shift per month to make it easier).

I also really hate my new volunteering but feel really bad quitting (I need to interview in order to quit), I feel like it's useless and a waste of my time and really regret joining

it. The problem is that I want to do something different through that company (that does the volunteering) but have to wait until the summer.

I can't drop the EMT class (or I will be kicked out of my volunteering).

I don't think I can manage it time-wise, especially with 1+ hour commuting to my job.

It's a new job so I can't quit, I am doing it (for one semester) to gain experience to work in another place.

I will feel bad if I drop the second volunteering, because I have only been there for two months (I will do one day-24 hours shift per month to make it easier).

I also really hate my new volunteering but feel really bad quitting (I need to interview in order to quit), I feel like it's useless and a waste of my time and really regret joining

it. The problem is that I want to do something different through that company (that does the volunteering) but have to wait until the summer.

You will feel worse if you mess up your GPA.

I really panicked when I saw accepted students profiles and signed myself up for too many things. :arghh:
I just finished my freshman year a month ago and have only 80 hours volunteer clinical experience and <20 community service. :(

I really panicked when I saw accepted students profiles and signed myself up for too many things. :arghh:
I just finished my freshman year a month ago and have only 80 hours volunteer clinical experience and <20 community service. :(

It's easier to beef up your extra curricular activities and volunteer hours than it is to repair a bad GPA. Your GPA comes first, always.

If you screw up, med schools will not saye "he tried so hard" they will say "what bad judgement" and throw you application out faster than you can say "reject".

OP's face when he tries so hard: