258 USMLE step 1- chances for Radiology (?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irishmedicine

Reaction score
I'm graduating from an irish med school, and I received 258 on step1 and 250 on step 2. I was wondering what are my chances of matching into radiology. I'm willing to match anywhere in the US ( location does not matter)?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're willing to match anywhere prob very good, you should be able to match to a decent university program if there are no red flags on your app

How difficult do you guys think it it for a DO student with a Step 1 score-250+ and Step 2 score-250+ to match at UTSW ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has there been that much grade inflation that a 258 only gets you into a very good program that isn’t necessarily in the location of choice?

Has there been that much grade inflation that a 258 only gets you into a very good program that isn’t necessarily in the location of choice?

A US MD candidate with that step score would be able to match at a better program or be pickier about geography, but OP is an Irish medical student which lowers his/her competitiveness.

How difficult do you guys think it it for a DO student with a Step 1 score-250+ and Step 2 score-250+ to match at UTSW ?

Very. UTSW has no current DO residents and is pretty competitive even for USMD students.

Reactions: 1 user
Make sure you’re really into radiology!!! You’ve a number of other posts asking about various oncology programs and internal medicine switching to dermatology!! I’m not convinced you know what you want and seem to be looking for a cash cow residency! Irish physicians are some of the best in the world - not foreigners (US/Canadian,etc.) attending Irish medical schools because they couldn’t get in in their own country, but Irish-born and raised, studied their asses off, sat the leaving cert, and applied through the CAO to get into medicine!!

WUSTL, a top notch program, had Irish medical school residents when I was applying. They were likely stellar candidates though.

The Irish guy at MIR was one of the best residents of his generation there. So yeah, stellar. MIR takes 1-2 impressive international grads per year (usually from the Middle East or India). Never seen a DO or US IMG match there in recent memory, but plenty DOs do fellowships there.

The Irish guy at MIR was one of the best residents of his generation there. So yeah, stellar. MIR takes 1-2 impressive international grads per year (usually from the Middle East or India). Never seen a DO or US IMG match there in recent memory, but plenty DOs do fellowships there.
Any thoughts as to why they take IMG’s?

I can confirm, no DO students at UTSW.
We have one FMG who went the research track (it adds one year) I don't know about the average score, but most our residents are quite bright (top of their class in MD school and stuff).
Now with step scores 250+ , I don't see why you couldn't match. That said, applications are not just one number. All depends on the rest of the application. I do know they do like academic oriented individual and research. I would just try and see what happens. Another strategy is to contact the program director and ask for input. Our PD, Dr Morriss, is in all honesty the nicest individual I have met. I really mean it. People are nice in general, I have met some great other PDs, but this guy is just something else. He certainly played a part in my decision to rank UTSW at the top of my list.

Good luck.

I can confirm, no DO students at UTSW.
We have one FMG who went the research track (it adds one year) I don't know about the average score, but most our residents are quite bright (top of their class in MD school and stuff).
Now with step scores 250+ , I don't see why you couldn't match. That said, applications are not just one number. All depends on the rest of the application. I do know they do like academic oriented individual and research. I would just try and see what happens. Another strategy is to contact the program director and ask for input. Our PD, Dr Morriss, is in all honesty the nicest individual I have met. I really mean it. People are nice in general, I have met some great other PDs, but this guy is just something else. He certainly played a part in my decision to rank UTSW at the top of my list.

Good luck.
A friend of mine pulled a 252 on step 1 couple years ago and didn't even get an interview there but he did not have any research fwiw. How many hours of studying are doing every night after work?

Any thoughts as to why they take IMG’s?

They take very specific types of international grads. The ones who write textbooks and are the top tier people in their home countries. They don't take Americans who went to Caribbean or offshore schools

As far as studying, I'd say that 1 to 2h a day would be good. I unfortunately can't do that on a regular basis. This is mainly as a first year. Second year is mainly call duties. Our program is quite call heavy (independent call, no attending in the room). Most second years have told me that it is very hard to study, as they are always at the hospital, and when they are home, then they are home. I have to say that our upper level residents are quite impressive in their diagnostic skills. I guess call is very formative. So the rule for studying would be
1h/day -> average resident (a bit like me)
2h/day -> good resident
3h/day -> very good resident. We have a few of these in our class. I do not know how long they study or what they do, but they are advanced, in many topics. You can tell. They probably also have done some research in rad in the past.

As far as studying, I'd say that 1 to 2h a day would be good. I unfortunately can't do that on a regular basis. This is mainly as a first year. Second year is mainly call duties. Our program is quite call heavy (independent call, no attending in the room). Most second years have told me that it is very hard to study, as they are always at the hospital, and when they are home, then they are home. I have to say that our upper level residents are quite impressive in their diagnostic skills. I guess call is very formative. So the rule for studying would be
1h/day -> average resident (a bit like me)
2h/day -> good resident
3h/day -> very good resident. We have a few of these in our class. I do not know how long they study or what they do, but they are advanced, in many topics. You can tell. They probably also have done some research in rad in the past.
What are your hours like and how many weeks of nights do you guys have? Can you describe the moonlighting opportunities there? Do you hang with coresidents a lot?

1) Hours depend on the rotation, but in the first year, they are pretty good, since we don't take call. Generally 7.30 to 5 pm. A few rotations start at 8 ish. Some of them are easier than others. MSK, Peds and Nuclear Medicine (each 1 month) are easy and you can sometimes finish between 4 to 5. Generally these months are important to use to study. Other rotations, like IR, are draining. 6.30 to 6 ot even 7+.
Most week-ends are free. I think I have worked 6 Saturday mornings, plus 4 full week-ends on IR. IR week-ends are mainly paperwork days (consenting patients and helping the IR and body department with procedures). That said, the IR crew here is really awesome, so overall I had an excellent rotation.

2) Other co-residents are very nice. Because of the structure though, it is hard to say that we really work together with the upper levels. In fact I don't see most of them on a regular basis. You will see quite a fair amount of other first years when you are a first year, and I have to say that we do have a very cool class. We have to cover a bunch of hospitals, so we are spread out. We have lectures every Tuesdays , as well as most days at noon, and we get together during that time mainly. And you learn to know them as you go. But all of them have been really nice to me. All friendly and helpful. Even when you screw up, they are really helpful to stir you in the right direction right away. I m very pleased with the environment overall.

3) Moonlighting. I would say based on what I am hearing, that opportunities are comparatively better than most of other places. You kind of have to know what services are better suited to moonlight, but in general, yes, you can do quite a bit, particularly as you advance. You can moonlight more or less depending on your needs. As you long are you are discreet, and that it doesn't impact your work (i.e. leaving too early etc...), then you can increase your income substantially, and more so as you advance through training. Second year though may be a bit difficult since we have to take call.

4) Nights. I don't have all details for this. However during second year we have 3 months of nights. Each month = 14 nights (I think these are 10 hr shifts during the week, and 12 hr shifts during the week-end). During the remaining 14 days you have to do 6 shifts 5-10pm. These can be heavy though. Of course this keeps changing. I also think you have another set of 3 or 4 months during residency but that I am not sure. On top of this, you have some week-ends to work (an these are quite numerous during second year). The reason is that we try to offload the third years during the end of the academic year to let them study. All in all, you will have 6 months that are ****ty during the end of second year/beginning of third year. But for having done medicine (IM) as prelim, I think it still better than that.

Reactions: 2 users