MD 26 mcat, retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Parisah

Soccergirl22
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I received an mcat score of 26 (9 ps, 8vr, 9bs) after two months of studying during the summer. I messed up on the timing of the verbal and realized I had a minute and half left for 1.5 passages as I was thinking it was my last passage.

My mom is Colombian and so I will be able to say I am a URM and I have a 3.9 overall gpa and a 3.85 science gpa. I have worked as a medical scribe, shadowing experience in the US as well as Spain, lots of volunteering in my community, played a year of college soccer before I transferred to a bigger school, did a year of army ROTC, and currently I am in Spain teaching English so as to improve my Spanish by living here (the program in total will be 9 months.) I will be doing oceanography research when I get back home, but as that will be after I have sent my application I don't know if that will impact it or not.

I want to apply to MD schools and am hoping for input on a mcat retake. I have looked at the charts online and it says I have around a 70% chance of acceptance. But that seems very vague.. Any input is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Those charts are highly deceptive. if you look at any MD individual MD school, people with an MCAT <28 have a less than 10% chance of getting accepted.

Not all Hispanics are URM. Haven't a clue if Columbians fall into this category, perhaps my learned colleagues gyngyn and LizzyM can chime in.

If you're keen on MD schools, then yes, a retake is necessary. You're OK for most DO programs.

Hello I received an mcat score of 26 (9 ps, 8vr, 9bs) after two months of studying during the summer. I messed up on the timing of the verbal and realized I had a minute and half left for 1.5 passages as I was thinking it was my last passage.

My mom is Colombian and so I will be able to say I am a URM and I have a 3.9 overall gpa and a 3.85 science gpa. I have worked as a medical scribe, shadowing experience in the US as well as Spain, lots of volunteering in my community, played a year of college soccer before I transferred to a bigger school, did a year of army ROTC, and currently I am in Spain teaching English so as to improve my Spanish by living here (the program in total will be 9 months.) I will be doing oceanography research when I get back home, but as that will be after I have sent my application I don't know if that will impact it or not.

I want to apply to MD schools and am hoping for input on a mcat retake. I have looked at the charts online and it says I have around a 70% chance of acceptance. But that seems very vague.. Any input is appreciated!

Not all Hispanics are URM. Haven't a clue if Columbians fall into this category, perhaps my learned colleagues gyngyn and LizzyM can chime in.
Colombianos are not considered under-represented where I work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I would highly recommend a retake if you want to do MD. A score of 30 would give you a pretty solid application, but aim as high as you can. Make sure to think back and reevaluate your study methods.. don't go and do the exact same thing in preparation for MCAT #2. Don't forget to take lots of practice tests to work on your timing/pacing. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

Retake.

Agree, retake.

Thanks so much for all the input. That is what I figured and have began studying to retake it, I just wanted second opinions!

Colombianos are not considered under-represented where I work.
I looked it up after the first response and found that I should just put Latina on my application. Thanks!

Just so you know, I'm also a URM (Mexican) with a 27 MCAT(8PS/10VR/9BS), shadowing and scribing experience (over 500 hrs), bilingual, 3.97 GPA, 3.95 sGPA, and applied rather late in te game to 13 schools (12 MD, 1 DO). I've received a total of 5 II's and have been waitlisted at 3/4 MD schools that interviewed me. My advice to you: study harder for the MCAT and take lots of practice tests. If you could raise that score by even a couple points you're looking at better chances. You still have time. What's a couple more months of studying compared to waiting another year or two due to an unsuccessful application cycle? I'm currently looking at the prospect of reapplying and that includes retaking the MCAT. Also, apply as early as possible. Best of luck~

Just so you know, I'm also a URM (Mexican) with a 27 MCAT(8PS/10VR/9BS), shadowing and scribing experience (over 500 hrs), bilingual, 3.97 GPA, 3.95 sGPA, and applied rather late in te game to 13 schools (12 MD, 1 DO). I've received a total of 5 II's and have been waitlisted at 3/4 MD schools that interviewed me. My advice to you: study harder for the MCAT and take lots of practice tests. If you could raise that score by even a couple points you're looking at better chances. You still have time. What's a couple more months of studying compared to waiting another year or two due to an unsuccessful application cycle? I'm currently looking at the prospect of reapplying and that includes retaking the MCAT. Also, apply as early as possible. Best of luck~
I bet you get in!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for this post. I just read it :) I hope you got into the school you wanted! I am studying now for my mcat and am going to see how my averages look to see if I will retake it or not. I am planning to submit my application the day it opens though because I've heard the earlier the better. Thanks again for taking the time to give me advice, it means a lot.