neurotypicalemt302
Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
TLDR: Retake a 513 with 124 now that I have 3 WL and 1 decision awaiting (3 months now), while working on improving my writing and working a job to support myself; or scratch the mcat idea altogether, also looking for app pointers given how I have no more interviews and 0 As
Hey everyone, this post is asking for genuine pointers as a 2025-2026 cycle applicant (bear with me if its long). I'm currently sitting at 4 MD ii (3 WL, 1 waiting to hear back); 17 Rs and 4 pre-ii holds, I applied to like 60 schools. This feels like an unpredictable part of my cycle because I genuinely have no clue if I will need to reapply or not. I've had nearly a month of silence and have now decided to start preparing my writing + possible test scores for a reapplication (best case scenario I won't need this if I get in this time around). I'm wondering if I should retake my 513 with a 124 CARS (asked this before but now after this cycle I am revisiting).
The schools that waitlisted me are not a dead end. Western Michigan takes a good portion of their class from the waitlist, which they review monthly. Albany Med also takes around 50-60% of their class from the alternate list. UCI has some movement but I can only really send a letter in March to try for that. I am awaiting my decision from UCR, which is my alma mater (it has been 3 months now since interviewing).
If anything, I'm looking for any real advice as to what to do from here as I just graduated recently, I know the treasure trove of advice here is amazing. I gave this cycle my all in every part (even used savings on a consulting service). I applied early and secondary turn around was fine, I also thought my writing there was fine too as I prewrote. After getting some advice from successful applicants and med students, I've found some issues in my writing (nothing insane), but I am disappointed since I paid for the consulting only to experience this, yet I fully accept responsibility for this. If any of the experienced people here want to see my writing, I am willing to share that too as I just want to make sure next cycle goes better if I need to apply again. I'd say some limiting factors in my app now include being CA ORM, possibly ECs, 0 gap years, my CARS subsection, and physician parent.
Here's all the details at time of application:
CA ORM immigrant, Graduated B.S Biology 3.95 cGPA (3.96 sGPA)
513 (130/124/128/131) --> possible retake? I am ESL but not sure if that gave me slack here
7 PREview (Did not take CASPER but will if needed this time)
Medical Assistant (paid) 118 hrs
EMT (paid) 810 hrs
Campus and Community EMT (unpaid) 190 hrs
Shadowing: 81 hrs w/ few specialties
Primary Care Scope of Practice Advocacy (67 hours)
ER Volunteer (nonclinical) 105 hrs
Sports EMS Startup Cofounder work (188 hrs) --> ultimately did not succeed despite a grant but learned a bunch
Religious Club Board Member (505 hrs)
Religious Sermon Leader and Community Volunteer (780 hrs)
Case Study Poster (58 hrs)
Video Pub with a medical society org (now accepted)
Chem Synthesis lab (455 hrs)
Extras: two hobbies unique to me (combined 1200 or so hrs)
Awards included religious related and deans list stuff, Taekwondo black belt
I've continued most of these activities and gained substantial hours, I even started one or two new ones so I can add to my app for the future if needed. LORs I thought were great, had a good connection with each writer (I can still look into any improvements here) Writing was also good (I thought) thanks to my consultant and months of work on my end. Tied in my faith, immigrant background, and goals for the future with holistic medicine (again open to improvement here). I have identified a few problems with how I wrote about my volunteering and also my personal statement, but am still left scratching my head after 4 interviews. I felt each interview was strong and no blatant issues (did prep with many people and advisor). Thank you all for your help!
School list (yes some of these are not the smartest but I applied super broadly):
UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Davis, UC San Diego, USC Keck, UCSF, Loma Linda, Stanford, UA Phenix, UC Riverside, Tulane, Case Western, Albany, Central Michigan, Mayo Clinic, Cooper Rowan, Eastern Virginia, Dartmouth, George Washington, Northwestern Feinberg, NYU Long Island, Oakland Beaumont, Pennsylvania State, Ohio State , Rutgers Wood Johnson, Sidney Kimmel Jefferson, UToledo, Brown, Tufts, University of Central Florida, Pritzker, UCincinnati, UConnecticut, U Iowa Carver, University of Maryland, UMichigan, UMassachusetts, UMiami, UPittsburgh, UVirginia, UWisconsin SMPM, Vanderbilt ,Cornell, Western Michigan, Wright State Boonshoft, Creighton, Hopkins, Columbia, Duke, Perelman, St. Louis, URochester, WashU, University of Minnesota, Emory , Icahn , SUNY Upstate, Kaiser, Alice Walton , Thomas F. Frist COM Belmont
Hey everyone, this post is asking for genuine pointers as a 2025-2026 cycle applicant (bear with me if its long). I'm currently sitting at 4 MD ii (3 WL, 1 waiting to hear back); 17 Rs and 4 pre-ii holds, I applied to like 60 schools. This feels like an unpredictable part of my cycle because I genuinely have no clue if I will need to reapply or not. I've had nearly a month of silence and have now decided to start preparing my writing + possible test scores for a reapplication (best case scenario I won't need this if I get in this time around). I'm wondering if I should retake my 513 with a 124 CARS (asked this before but now after this cycle I am revisiting).
The schools that waitlisted me are not a dead end. Western Michigan takes a good portion of their class from the waitlist, which they review monthly. Albany Med also takes around 50-60% of their class from the alternate list. UCI has some movement but I can only really send a letter in March to try for that. I am awaiting my decision from UCR, which is my alma mater (it has been 3 months now since interviewing).
If anything, I'm looking for any real advice as to what to do from here as I just graduated recently, I know the treasure trove of advice here is amazing. I gave this cycle my all in every part (even used savings on a consulting service). I applied early and secondary turn around was fine, I also thought my writing there was fine too as I prewrote. After getting some advice from successful applicants and med students, I've found some issues in my writing (nothing insane), but I am disappointed since I paid for the consulting only to experience this, yet I fully accept responsibility for this. If any of the experienced people here want to see my writing, I am willing to share that too as I just want to make sure next cycle goes better if I need to apply again. I'd say some limiting factors in my app now include being CA ORM, possibly ECs, 0 gap years, my CARS subsection, and physician parent.
Here's all the details at time of application:
CA ORM immigrant, Graduated B.S Biology 3.95 cGPA (3.96 sGPA)
513 (130/124/128/131) --> possible retake? I am ESL but not sure if that gave me slack here
7 PREview (Did not take CASPER but will if needed this time)
Medical Assistant (paid) 118 hrs
EMT (paid) 810 hrs
Campus and Community EMT (unpaid) 190 hrs
Shadowing: 81 hrs w/ few specialties
Primary Care Scope of Practice Advocacy (67 hours)
ER Volunteer (nonclinical) 105 hrs
Sports EMS Startup Cofounder work (188 hrs) --> ultimately did not succeed despite a grant but learned a bunch
Religious Club Board Member (505 hrs)
Religious Sermon Leader and Community Volunteer (780 hrs)
Case Study Poster (58 hrs)
Video Pub with a medical society org (now accepted)
Chem Synthesis lab (455 hrs)
Extras: two hobbies unique to me (combined 1200 or so hrs)
Awards included religious related and deans list stuff, Taekwondo black belt
I've continued most of these activities and gained substantial hours, I even started one or two new ones so I can add to my app for the future if needed. LORs I thought were great, had a good connection with each writer (I can still look into any improvements here) Writing was also good (I thought) thanks to my consultant and months of work on my end. Tied in my faith, immigrant background, and goals for the future with holistic medicine (again open to improvement here). I have identified a few problems with how I wrote about my volunteering and also my personal statement, but am still left scratching my head after 4 interviews. I felt each interview was strong and no blatant issues (did prep with many people and advisor). Thank you all for your help!
School list (yes some of these are not the smartest but I applied super broadly):
UC Irvine, UCLA, UC Davis, UC San Diego, USC Keck, UCSF, Loma Linda, Stanford, UA Phenix, UC Riverside, Tulane, Case Western, Albany, Central Michigan, Mayo Clinic, Cooper Rowan, Eastern Virginia, Dartmouth, George Washington, Northwestern Feinberg, NYU Long Island, Oakland Beaumont, Pennsylvania State, Ohio State , Rutgers Wood Johnson, Sidney Kimmel Jefferson, UToledo, Brown, Tufts, University of Central Florida, Pritzker, UCincinnati, UConnecticut, U Iowa Carver, University of Maryland, UMichigan, UMassachusetts, UMiami, UPittsburgh, UVirginia, UWisconsin SMPM, Vanderbilt ,Cornell, Western Michigan, Wright State Boonshoft, Creighton, Hopkins, Columbia, Duke, Perelman, St. Louis, URochester, WashU, University of Minnesota, Emory , Icahn , SUNY Upstate, Kaiser, Alice Walton , Thomas F. Frist COM Belmont