260--> high 260/270

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Etorphine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the strategy here? Hitting 260 and scoring well, but keep getting nickle and dimed by the obscure topics that have been covered in a single source only (vs. those topics that you would find in every source). Multiple passes through FA, pathoma, complete already. UWorld has 1 pass. Rx, Kaplan untouched, but benefit dubious. How do I go higher? Should I focus on learning present material at a flawless level or go on to rx/kaplan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
prayer and a slice of humble pie.

only kidding, congrats on your progress.

Reactions: 1 user
I only got a 262, but I can say that I had prepped to the max and had read all of the minutiae. When I think about my exam in retrospect, I got all of the minutiae questions right. I had messed up on at least five easier questions that required more lateral thinking.

That being said, no amount of prep can get you to 270. If you want that 270, having the knowledge base down isn't enough. The hard truth is that you have to be smart enough to be able to think laterally and not make mistakes in the moment. We all figure out our mistakes after the exam, but it's being in the moment that counts. You could probably think of 260-->270 as a 750-->800 math on the SATs; all of the questions are easy, but it's a matter of not making a stupid mistake on a question when under timed pressure.

I'd say in my case of a mere 262, it was the combination of extended prep + above average test-taking skills. In contrast, you'll get people who don't prep as much who are smarter who can get the same score or better. Let's just deal with it.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I only got a 262, but I can say that I had prepped to the max and had read all of the minutiae. When I think about my exam in retrospect, I got all of the minutiae questions right. I had messed up on at least five easier questions that required more lateral thinking.

That being said, no amount of prep can get you to 270. If you want that 270, having the knowledge base down isn't enough. The hard truth is that you have to be smart enough to be able to think laterally and not make mistakes in the moment. We all figure out our mistakes after the exam, but it's being in the moment that counts. You could probably think of 260-->270 as a 750-->800 math on the SATs; all of the questions are easy, but it's a matter of not making a stupid mistake on a question when under timed pressure.

I'd say in my case of a mere 262, it was the combination of extended prep + above average test-taking skills. In contrast, you'll get people who don't prep as much who are smarter who can get the same score or better. Let's just deal with it.

Thanks Phloston, that is helpful in narrowing down the problem and gave me some ideas. I think everything you wrote is right on the money, as there are some people out there that are exceptionally skilled at test taking ability and in the moment thinking. I am not one of those people, but you gave me some ideas on what I can do in the pursuit of continued improvement.

Last edited:
The luck of the draw starts to become a factor, including both the type of questions that make the difference and your guesses 'lateral thinking' on that day. Besides, from my experience, having a lower score on the practice assessments, people tend to do better on the real thing. I on the other hand probably peaked on my last couple of NBMEs. Not so much fun, 270+ on an NBME and lower on the real thing. Like Phloston said though, just deal with it.

What is the strategy here? Hitting 260 and scoring well, but keep getting nickle and dimed by the obscure topics that have been covered in a single source only (vs. those topics that you would find in every source). Multiple passes through FA, pathoma, complete already. UWorld has 1 pass. Rx, Kaplan untouched, but benefit dubious. How do I go higher? Should I focus on learning present material at a flawless level or go on to rx/kaplan

Are you an IMG? If so, how long have your Step 1 preparations taken so far?

The luck of the draw starts to become a factor, including both the type of questions that make the difference and your guesses 'lateral thinking' on that day. Besides, from my experience, having a lower score on the practice assessments, people tend to do better on the real thing. I on the other hand probably peaked on my last couple of NBMEs. Not so much fun, 270+ on an NBME and lower on the real thing. Like Phloston said though, just deal with it.

Yea same exact thing happened to me on MCAT. High on practice tests, then lower than average on test day. Hoping I have better luck for step.

Are you an IMG? If so, how long have your Step 1 preparations taken so far?

Not IMG. Been prepping since beginning of medical school, nothing special other than that.

Last edited:
Etorphine, in a similar situation. What did you decide for a strategy, and did you get over the 260 hump on the real deal?

Anything above 260 is luck territory as has been said. What has not been said yet is that the SINGLE BIGGEST THING that will optimize your chances of propelling to 270 or higher is good sleep the night before. Do whatever you need to sleep by 9-10pm the night before.

Reactions: 2 users
Anything above 260 is luck territory as has been said. What has not been said yet is that the SINGLE BIGGEST THING that will optimize your chances of propelling to 270 or higher is good sleep the night before. Do whatever you need to sleep by 9-10pm the night before.

Movie and a good night's sleep. That's my plan. Maybe I should go to a spa and get a massage, too.

Reactions: 1 users

Agreed. At least in theory, I haven't taken it, let alone sniffed a 270.

On a related note, what about the day before the test? I would submit that relaxing completely or maybe very light study (1-2 hours) would aid a test taker as well.

I hit a plateau several weeks ago and haven't made much vertical progress. Know >99% of the minutiae, but most of the time it is careless mistakes holding me back, and a smaller percentage is due to obscure imaging/anatomy/terminology (especially obscure latin terminology for an obvious physical finding). Test is scheduled for Wednesday, have to see what happens

Agreed. At least in theory, I haven't taken it, let alone sniffed a 270.

On a related note, what about the day before the test? I would submit that relaxing completely or maybe very light study (1-2 hours) would aid a test taker as well.

Thanks to the useful advice of someone else on this forum, I study only 2-3 hours a day for the last TWO DAYS before the test. Even if you feel revved up and ready to go, the amount that two full (well, almost) days of no studying is quite profound. I strongly recommend not studying the two days before your test except some last minute essentials (that you have determined before hand).

Members don't see this ad :)
An advisor at my school told me that it's "highly suggested" to do a couple UWorld blocks before going to the testing center to get your mind in the right frame. My initial instinct is ABSOLUTELY NOT, and I've also never heard that suggestion before. Since I'm planning to get to the testing center about an hour early, MAYBE doing like 15-20 questions then? The whole "getting your mind in the right frame" thing kind of makes sense (doing a few questions, definitely not a whole block), but then I also think it could potentially psyche me out if I happen to get a bunch of questions in my weak areas. Thoughts?

Also haven't decided what/if to study the day before. I know I'll be a nervous wreck and I'll want to study something, so it's better to have a plan and not frantically tear through FA and Pathoma for the millionth time. Pharm and micro flashcards? (my two weaker areas)

Movie and a good night's sleep. That's my plan. Maybe I should go to a spa and get a massage, too.

I've already booked a massage for the day before my test. Soooooo looking forward to that.

An advisor at my school told me that it's "highly suggested" to do a couple UWorld blocks before going to the testing center to get your mind in the right frame. My initial instinct is ABSOLUTELY NOT, and I've also never heard that suggestion before. Since I'm planning to get to the testing center about an hour early, MAYBE doing like 15-20 questions then? The whole "getting your mind in the right frame" thing kind of makes sense (doing a few questions, definitely not a whole block), but then I also think it could potentially psyche me out if I happen to get a bunch of questions in my weak areas. Thoughts?

Also haven't decided what/if to study the day before. I know I'll be a nervous wreck and I'll want to study something, so it's better to have a plan and not frantically tear through FA and Pathoma for the millionth time. Pharm and micro flashcards? (my two weaker areas)

I've already booked a massage for the day before my test. Soooooo looking forward to that.

I say pick out a few topics that are just hard for you to remember and do those. My plan is lysosomal storage diseases, antidotes (I remember them, but just in case . . .), X linked disorders, and possibly primary immunodeficiencies. Maybe a couple more.

Also, boyfriend and I are going to Six Flags the day before the exam. :-D

The difference between a 260 and a 270 might be like 2 questions right. It's not about knowledge, hell, you pretty much max out at 250 for knowledge. It's about not making stupid mistakes. And these are very difficult to get rid off.

The bigger question is why do you want a 270. Any specialty that you want to go into will be accomplished by a 250. Even plastics at Stanford (or w/e the top program is) won't be shut out because you got a 250 on Step 1. Quit killing yourself over something you have very little control over.

Reactions: 2 users
The difference between a 260 and a 270 might be like 2 questions right. It's not about knowledge, hell, you pretty much max out at 250 for knowledge. It's about not making stupid mistakes. And these are very difficult to get rid off.

The bigger question is why do you want a 270. Any specialty that you want to go into will be accomplished by a 250. Even plastics at Stanford (or w/e the top program is) won't be shut out because you got a 250 on Step 1. Quit killing yourself over something you have very little control over.
e-peen

Happy ending included, I presume?

Does your advisor have a medical degree? I'm just curious, because even if he/she does, that is a ridiculous statement. Under no circumstances should you do this. As I mentioned earlier, not only should you avoid studying the morning of, you should practically avoid studying the TWO days leading up to the test (2-3 hours max/day).

Does your advisor have a medical degree? I'm just curious, because even if he/she does, that is a ridiculous statement. Under no circumstances should you do this. As I mentioned earlier, not only should you avoid studying the morning of, you should practically avoid studying the TWO days leading up to the test (2-3 hours max/day).

Yeah I definitely was not going to do a block of questions beforehand. I don't even know if "advisor" is the right word, but no medical degree, I guess just experience with test taking and study tips or something. :shrug:

Yeah I definitely was not going to do a block of questions beforehand. I don't even know if "advisor" is the right word, but no medical degree, I guess just experience with test taking and study tips or something. :shrug:

that dude has clearly never taken the USMLE Step 1

Luck
Good nights sleep
And a killer BJ the night before

I would suggest a couple days before. You might be too relaxed after that. Got to be ready to bang out the exam and not be tired from banging. And who the hell is gonna sleep well.......I know we all say it but if you get 6 hrs more power to you. I am usually tossing and turning all night.

I would suggest a couple days before. You might be too relaxed after that. Got to be ready to bang out the exam and not be tired from banging. And who the hell is gonna sleep well.......I know we all say it but if you get 6 hrs more power to you. I am usually tossing and turning all night.
I was so worried about having the exam at 830 since I usually get up around 9. Snagged the 1:30 time though

melatonin + 2 IPAs will do the trick.

Come to think about it.......I don't know anyone at my school that has an afternoon time since the exam is 8 hrs.

That would put you there at night basically. Who is gonna be there?
Other people who are writing exams I guess.

Tell me about it. As soon as its over, I'm gonna relearn how to talk to people, and socialize. Then its awnn

You realize by hitting a 260 you are already 2 standard deviations above the average, and that you've exceeded the matched Average Step 1 score for even Plastics right?

As far as I'm aware, I've seen Step 1 times at: 8am, 8:30, 12:30, 1:30 and 2:30. And they're probably more variable than that for that matter.

I am 100% not a morning person. I searched two months' worth of dates and 5-6 different testing centres before finding a 12:30 time. I had searched specifically for an afternoon session because I didn't want to be cracked out on lack of sleep going in. Highly recommended.

I don't see the issue with wanting to score as high as possible. Totally agree with the last line in your post though, it's definitely not worth obsessing over.

Does anyone else have any tips on eliminating stupid mistakes?
Get smarter.

Obviously nothing is guaranteed. But if a US medical student has a 260+ and tries for plastics and fails, then they're either a doorknob or ****ed up on rotations.

I know you're probably just half-joking here, but I have a friend who was solid all around with a 263 on Step1, publications, AOA, honors in rotations and was from an upper-middle tier US school, but got rejected outright at a few big name schools without even getting interviews (but also got interviews at other big name ones). He applied rads and thinks it's because, despite some pubs, he didn't have research specifically in rads. Admissions committees are varied in terms of what they're looking for. Perhaps the guy with a 256 with two rads pubs is preferred. He also said two people from his class had applied rads as well, one with a 269 + rads pubs and another with a 270+, which may have played a role in the outright rejections. Just saying.

I know you're probably just half-joking here, but I have a friend who was solid all around with a 263 on Step1, publications, AOA, honors in rotations and was from an upper-middle tier US school, but got rejected outright at a few big name schools without even getting interviews (but also got interviews at other big name ones). He applied rads and thinks it's because, despite some pubs, he didn't have research specifically in rads. Admissions committees are varied in terms of what they're looking for. Perhaps the guy with a 256 with two rads pubs is preferred. He also said two people from his class had applied rads as well, one with a 269 + rads pubs and another with a 270+, which may have played a role in the outright rejections. Just saying.

dude probably doesn't know how to interview or only applied to the very top programs. In our most recent match, we had dudes with decent scores match (~240s) to BIDMC and Mayo in IM. The application process is more than just scores and pubs. You also got to be not a brick/dick/dingus when you interview.

No, No, No. More likely it's bc he only chose to apply to top tier programs in Radiology. He could have done the same exact thing in IM (only applying to top tier programs), and he still would have come up short. No matter what, he should have cast a wide net. Research is not necessary to match into a Rads program.

Last edited: