26Q 3.7 cGPA 3.72 sGPA Any chances at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hades

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My MCAT scores are 10 BS, 8 PS, 8 VR, and a Q in writing for a grand total of 26Q. I am retaking the MCAT August 22 and focusing mainly on verbal and PS over the next 9 weeks in hopes I can raise my scores in both sections. I have every type of experience and extra curricular activities an MD program would look for but assuming my MCAT score does not go up, do I have a shot at the less tier MD schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Theres always a chance...but dont count on a miracle.

Where should I bring my MCAT in order to ascend miracle and enter likelyhood? I was hoping atleast a 1 point raise in PS and VR, giving me a 28, would put me in that area. What do you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
a 28 and 3.7 with good ECs make you a possibility...to enter likelihood I would try to bring your PS up 3 pts (bc its easier to do then verbal)...Verbal up to a 9 atleast, and BS at 10 or greater

Which state do you live in?

The phrase 'less tier schools' is a bit misleading, since these schools are still very difficult to get in. Many of them receive up to 10K apps/year. I'm talking about NYMC, Drexel, RFUMS, amongst others. They get a lot of good students, so lower tier is not the right way to describe them.

Anyways, you are very unlikely to get into any Allopathic Medical Schools if your MCAT scores do not improve. There's no set rule, but I'd say you'd want to score at least
10 in both Science sections and at least 9 in VR. Even at this level, it's still possible to not get into the 'less tier MD schools.'

I live in Florida, so FSU is a possibility. I do know someone who has goten into Temple with similiar scores as mine but I am fairly confident my scores will raise upon my next MCAT examination. My study efforts right now consist of reading journals such as scientific american, the economist, the atlantic, and popular science for atleast 2 hours a day and then doing physics work. So far my scores have been raising steadily so I can get that 28 or 29. If I take the MCAT again on August 22 and recieve scores in late september will schools still have time to look at them before puting me in the no pile?

I'm taking Step 1 tomorrow after getting 1 point less on my MCAT than you a few years ago and had a slightly higher GPA, and I know a bunch of people who got into the same MD school w/24's, 25's, and 26's. On SDN, you can have a 3.9 w/31 MCAT and people would still bash your chances, so keep that in mind.

Its really hard to get into medical school with an MCAT lower than a 28. Still, some make it.

I have never had a problem as far as testing in my academic career and it seems unfair that one test can stand between me and my dreams, but alas life is never fair as the saying seems to go. I still have another opportunity to do well on another MCAT so if I make the most of my time this summer and go into the test relaxed hopefully my time spent will not have been wasted. I have no intention of going to a DO program and it is somewhat supportive to know there is still a chance for me with the low score I have now, hopefully all my experiences can push me over the edge and into a decent MD program.