MD & DO 27 MCAT 3.44 sGPA 3.68 cGPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arob146

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first time posting. I typically lurked and just read other people's posts to get ideas, but I thought I would post for myself.

I am a Florida resident applying to both MD and DO programs. I got a 27 on my MCAT (7 Verbal, 10 BS, 10 PS). My sGPA was low my freshman fall semester, but has had an upward trend every semester after that. My aoGPA has consistently been around a 3.95 (not sure if this even matters). I am not URM. I have had a fair amount of research, shadowing, and extracurricular activities that I have been involved with listed below and I also listed the schools that I have applied.

Extracurriculars:
- Volunteered for 250 hours in the local hospital by working in the psychiatry in-patient, working with patient service technicians in the operating room, and working with anesthesia technicians.

- Volunteered in the local community through a service fraternity for over 400 hours for the past 3 years. I served as a director in the organization for 3 semesters and will be serving as the chapter president for the next year.

- Volunteering in a free clinic for over 200 hours serving to triage patients and scribe for physicians for over 1 year now. I currently manage one of the clinic locations once and week and coordinate the volunteers and staff that work there.

- Volunteered in a nutrition research lab and worked on 3 human clinical trails for a little over a year.

- Worked in an epidemiology research lab investigating the incidence of cancer in the HIV+ population for 4 months.

- Currently work in an entomology research lab for the past 6 months on radiation experiments on cabbage loopers, cold tolerance of fruit flies, and managing their populations of fruit flies.

- Was a TA for two non-science courses for 4 semesters.

- Went on a medical mission trip between my freshman and sophomore year to Nicaragua.

- Shadowed a general surgeon (25 hours), internal medicine doctor (17 hours), and a pediatric doctor (54 hours).

- Currently provide free tutoring services to a middle school child whose father I volunteered with in the hospital.

Schools Applied To:
USUHS (secondary completed)
FSU (secondary completed)
UCF
UF
FIU (secondary completed)
USF
FAU
NSU (secondary completed)
PCOM - Georgia
LECOM - Erie (secondary completed)
LECOM - Bradenton (secondary completed)
VCOM (secondary completed)
CCOM (secondary completed)
MSU (secondary completed)

Members don't see this ad.

A decent list. I suggest subtracting MSU for regional bias, to stay closer to home you might want to consider Wm Carey, VCOM-AL, VCOM-SC, CUSOM, KYCOM, LMU and ACOM.

Netter might be worth a shot for MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very little chance MD. Good prospects for DO schools. Your ECs are good! You should have your pick of DO schools.

OP I was pretty close to your stats and EC's (30/3.51/3.35) and I applied to similar schools that you did. USUHS is a far reach with a 27 unfortunately. In fact, I think the only reason I got an II with a 30 was because I had a 23 previously and I think they liked the jump, plus I knew the dean pretty well. You don't stand much of a chance for MD due to your 27. However, your best MD chance is FSU in Florida, and if your focus is truly primary care, you get an interview and rock it, you have a shot at FSU . But, FSU has also raised their MCAT averages over the past few years so keep that in mind. Your stats are fine for DO.