27 MCAT URM & Veteran where will I not get screened out PS-6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Derpz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
PS-6 VR-11 BS-10 3.9+ GPA - top 10 UG Resident of a state in the deep south

I'm Hispanic and a Veteran (current serving reservist) my MCAT prep this summer got interrupted by military training and I'd like to believe as a result led to me bombing the PS section. I hadn't scored below an 8 in all my test prep, got a 9-PS on my first practice test before review, and my avg was a 10.

Strong EC's: research, a publication, volunteering clinical & non-clinical, plenty of leadership, all with a focus on Veterans health and Veterans issues

Aside from my state schools which I've submitted to already where can I apply and not get screened out by the 6-PS?

Looking at the following before the deadlines:

Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Commonwealth
Rutgers
Rutgers-RWJ
SUNY-Downstate
Stony Brook
Quinnipiac
FIU
FAU
U-Florida
U-Miami
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Tulane
Wayne State
U-Illinois

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have a strong application with one glaring flaw: a 6 in PS. If you could turn that 6 into a 10 like it was on practice tests, you'd stand a great chance at mid-tier MDs. You have a very high GPA, solid VR and BS scores, great ECs, and URM status. As it stands right now, I'm not sure which schools screen out applicants for a 6 in PS: I'm not sure if anyone has a list of that.

Are you considering the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences? I feel like you meet their mission.

USUHS sounds like a fit but I'm done with the military commitment when my current contract is up in 6 months. Too much of a time sink, and my service has complicated schooling which is the priority now.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say "before the deadlines" do you mean you're planning to apply this cycle? It's EXTREMELY late to send in an MD application. Most schools have already given out most of their interview invites already. I would definitely wait and apply early next cycle. I'm not sure if an MCAT retake is necessary given your URM status, but definitely consider retaking to get that PS up a bit. A six is very low. If you do those two things, you should be golden!

Last edited: