27 needle tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutropeniaboy

Blasted ENT Attending
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I drained a neck abscess on a guy in the E.R. last night. Neck film demonstrated 27 needle tips. Amazing.

(Oh, Hep C and HIV+...really?)

Members don't see this ad.

can you show us the film?

Originally posted by neutropeniaboy
I drained a neck abscess on a guy in the E.R. last night. Neck film demonstrated 27 needle tips. Amazing.

sounds like a case report. good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)

What are neddle tips?

Originally posted by hightrump
What are neddle tips?

You know...the distal tips of tuberculin syringes.

The funny thing about this guy was that during the whole I&D, the guy kept on saying "Be careful, doc. Don't hit my vein." And after it all, they guy asked, "Is my vein okay?"

He seemed really disappointed when I told him his EJ was shot (no pun intended).

so when you say "demostrated 27 neddle tips" you mean you you could tell that he had injected himself 27 times?

or that he had neddles IN his neck?!

ohhh and now that your here..

is ENT the best bet for cosmetic plasics only if you want to to do facial stuff or will it quilify you for boobs and lipo too?

so when you say "demostrated 27 neddle tips" you mean you you could tell that he had injected himself 27 times?

or that he had neddles IN his neck?!

Yeah.

Obviously, you've never seen an X-Ray of a junkie with an abscess. They frequently have broken needle tips embedded in their skin in various sites. That's one of the reasons why you never break up an abscess with your finger, especially in an IVDA. You never know what you're going to hit.

ohhh and now that your here..

is ENT the best bet for cosmetic plasics only if you want to to do facial stuff or will it quilify you for boobs and lipo too?

Honestly, it depends on your area of interest. Personally, I think going the general surgery/plastics route is the best if you want to do plastic surgery.

However, a lot of plastics training programs really don't teach you as much "plastic" surgery as you would think; many of them are more heavily weighted in reconstruction, which is not what you're going to be doing in the community, especially if you went into plastics to do nose jobs and boobs.

I'm still thinking about finishing my ENT residency and doing a dedicated plastics residency afterwards -- not just facial plastics. If you're interested in doing other head and neck type procedures and plastic surgery, do ENT+plastics (not facial plastics).

Yeah.

Obviously, you've never seen an X-Ray of a junkie with an abscess. They frequently have broken needle tips embedded in their skin in various sites. That's one of the reasons why you never break up an abscess with your finger, especially in an IVDA. You never know what you're going to hit.

Holy moses!

thanks for the other info too.