27N, 3.8 cum, 3.7 sci from umich- Advice please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YBL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty bummed about my score since I've been scoring above 30s on all of my practice tests (avg 34- 13PS 9VR 12 BS). Yeah, I don't know what happened. I guess I was pretty nervous. Well the breakdown is 10PS 7VR 10BS N (english is my first language btw) and I have great ECs (year of research, lots of clinical, shadowed a doc, and some leadership). What are my chances with this stupid 27N and 3.8 from umich? Should I retake? I already submitted my primary on Aug 2, but I can still withdraw it. I would appreciate any advice. Thank you so much in advance

-ybl

Members don't see this ad.

Withdrawing wont really help at this point, I think my recollection is that the schools you've chosen have already received the notice that you intend to apply. Most schools I've asked considered that to be an "application" so next year you will probably get the re-applicant status. So at this point, just choose wisely at which schools you want to apply.

Oh, but I only have 1 school on my primary right now. I was planning on adding more once I got my score. So, if I withdrew now, I guess I'd be a reapplicant only at suny downstate. I forgot to mention, I'm a NY resident.

Thanks so much for the advice so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, you will show up as a re-applicant no matter what at EVERY school. There's no point in retaking this year, IMO. Might as well apply to a few of the schools you were planning on when you expected 30+. Or if you don't care where you go, research schools with matriculant medians ~28-30/no MCAT screen. Retake early next year so you'll be ready to apply again next cycle in June if needed.

edit: I think getting a 33+ MCAT + earlier submission would be more than enough of an improvement in your application as a whole. You wouldn't be too burdened with the re-applicant stigma.

Last edited:
Aw that sucks, I thought "reapplicant" was once the primary was verified. So I should just apply to some schools this cycle with low mcat averages anyway? I would think that schools would just throw away my app with my 7VR

I'm in the same boat...I'll be retaking the MCAT and reapplying next year with the reapplicant status.