28 MCATers...where are you applying to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bafanculo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think we stand a chance in this years application pool...or should a 28MCAT be retaken.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on how balanced that 28 is. If your score is a 10-9-9, then I think that you should apply. If it's a 10-6-12 or something like that, then you should probably retake.

its a 9, 10, 9...and i don't feel like sitting through hell again, so i am thinking about just sticking weith this score even if i am diisappointed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

Like the above poster mentioned, if it is balanced, you have a good shot to get into a school. I got a 9-10-10 and got four interviews out of about 10 schools, so I was happy with that. If you have a strong application (ECs, Recs, volunteer) and apply around, I think you'll be competitive. I had another friend who got a 28 as well and received 18 interviews! He only went to ten and got 8 acceptances! Although he had a 28(a good score IMO), his overall application was very good. A 28 is not bad and should really not retake unless you are sure you can do better (I'm not talking 1-2 points) or want to be competitive for top schools where MCAT is more important. Good-luck!

David

Originally posted by bafanculo
its a 9, 10, 9...and i don't feel like sitting through hell again, so i am thinking about just sticking weith this score even if i am diisappointed.

That's a pretty decent score, so assuming the rest of your application is in order (good ECs, good GPA, etc.), then I think you have a good shot at applying.

How big of a difference is it between a 27 and a 28. I actually have a 10 V, 8P, 9B, with a 3.9. Do you think that a balanced 27 is better than an unbalanced 28. Thanks

Since 8 is the national average, I don't think you have that much to worry about. Sure, it could be higher, but I think that with your GPA you also have a good chance.

coolio- i got the exact same score! :) I'm applying this year too. I have a 3.78 GPA with clinical experience and research, and tons of ECs with leadership, so i think i'll be able to overcome that pesky test when it comes to be interview time. Just be confident and you'll be fine :) :) :)

good luck!

So what about a friend of mine who scored a 31 (pretty balanced) yet only had a 3.4 undergrad at a relatively good undergrad institution? I hear a 3.7 with 28 is pretty much a shoe-in at some places, but what about the high MCAT/lower GPA people?

from what i've read in this forum...i think applicants with low gpa/high mcat have better success than applicants with high gpa/low mcat....what do you guys think?

To see the correlation between overall GPA and overall MCAT score (not including the writing sample), I took the US New's Top 50 Research Medical Schools and ran a simple linear regression of GPA on MCAT score. The r-squared value was approximately 0.54, which is rather moderate correlation at best in my book. But, this only applies to US New's Top 50 research schools. Perhaps I'd have better luck with logistic regression.

Originally posted by calbears84
from what i've read in this forum...i think applicants with low gpa/high mcat have better success than applicants with high gpa/low mcat....what do you guys think?

I think I would agree with that. The purpose of the MCAT is to be the standard measuring stick. Carricula and difficulty of classes can vary greatly from school to school, but the MCAT is a pretty solid representation of how well you know the material + how well you can process it.

I know that there are significant problems with this logic, but I think most schools probably agree with it.

Originally posted by Adcadet
To see the correlation between overall GPA and overall MCAT score (not including the writing sample), I took the US New's Top 50 Research Medical Schools and ran a simple linear regression of GPA on MCAT score. The r-squared value was approximately 0.54, which is rather moderate correlation at best in my book. But, this only applies to US New's Top 50 research schools. Perhaps I'd have better luck with logistic regression.

adcadet, obviously, there is an epi/biostats/public health major in the house.

:laugh:

but i've got some questions.....how did you control for confounding? How does the statistical power of your study hold up with your sample size? Will you evaluate for the significance of interaction between the GPA and MCAT variables in the logistic model for school rank by the -2 log likelihood chi square value? What Bradford Hill criterion does your analysis satisfy, strength of association or dose response effect?
:confused:

does this sound like a good breakdown of mcat score groups? someone told me this, not sure what to think

27-29/ 30-32/ 33-35/ 36-37/ 38-40/ 41+?

Originally posted by dr kevin40
does this sound like a good breakdown of mcat score groups? someone told me this, not sure what to think

I don't know that score groups are used often by many admissions committees.

Originally posted by DW

adcadet, obviously, there is an epi/biostats/public health major in the house.

:laugh:

but i've got some questions.....how did you control for confounding? How does the statistical power of your study hold up with your sample size? Will you evaluate for the significance of interaction between the GPA and MCAT variables in the logistic model for school rank by the -2 log likelihood chi square value? What Bradford Hill criterion does your analysis satisfy, strength of association or dose response effect?
:confused:

Gotta love smart ass epi freaks :)

I'd love to get prof freq-y with it, but I'm afraid I just might not have enough data :(

Originally posted by Adcadet

Gotta love smart ass epi freaks :)

I'd love to get prof freq-y with it, but I'm afraid I just might not have enough data :(

uhhh....that's proc freq-y

prof freqy is something totally different

Originally posted by dr kevin40

It doesn't seem to me that score groups are used that much... Even though some people would have you believe that med schools look at MCAT scores and invite everyone in a certain score group for an interview, this is definitely not the case. They also take undergraduate institution and geography heavily into account. Tufts, for example, tends to accept the majority of the class from New England, NY, and CA, and generally is more likely to take applicants with "average" stats (the ave. stats for the class are 3.5, 30.5 MCAT) rather than applicants with "skewed" stats (i.e. very high or very low). They also tend to select for students from well-respected private and public institutions. Maryland, on the other hand, likes to make sure they have at least 15-20% URM's in the class each year, and are not all that into selecting people from high-profile undergrad schools (although a large # of people come from the Ivies and UMCP every year). So don't assume that admission at any given school is a sure thing; look beyond the #'s and find out about the school before applying.

Originally posted by Katie

It doesn't seem to me that score groups are used that much... Even though some people would have you believe that med schools look at MCAT scores and invite everyone in a certain score group for an interview, this is definitely not the case. They also take undergraduate institution and geography heavily into account. Tufts, for example, tends to accept the majority of the class from New England, NY, and CA, and generally is more likely to take applicants with "average" stats (the ave. stats for the class are 3.5, 30.5 MCAT) rather than applicants with "skewed" stats (i.e. very high or very low). They also tend to select for students from well-respected private and public institutions. Maryland, on the other hand, likes to make sure they have at least 15-20% URM's in the class each year, and are not all that into selecting people from high-profile undergrad schools (although a large # of people come from the Ivies and UMCP every year). So don't assume that admission at any given school is a sure thing; look beyond the #'s and find out about the school before applying.

BTW, I had a 29 MCAT and 3.6 GPA and got 7 interviews, 2 acceptances (one to a top 50).

It really depends on your GPA. If your GPA is less tha 3.5 I would retake, otherwise I would apply with those scores. I got in with a 28, but by the skin of my teeth off a waitlist, so be sure to have a lot of safety schools like NYMC, Albany, SLU, Morehouse, EVMS, VCU, Chicago Med, your state school etc.
The point made about a balanced 28 is also true I had a 10,9,9 if you have less than an 8 on any section with a 28 composite I would definitly retake.

I think the OP should go ahead and apply.

Here's some info to give you an idea:

I got a 9,9,9 with a 3.66

18 secodaries sent in
6 interviews: BU, GW, UF, UVM, Finch/CMS, Temple
1 outright acceptance (Finch/CMS)
2 waitlist acceptances (in 2 days :eek: ): UF and Temple

I sent in my amcas in october----not a good idea.

So as long as your gpa is strong with the 28 (and the rest of your application is good), you have a good shot. Be sure to apply to as many schools (esp lower tier ones) as you can afford.

buena suerte a todos! :D