28 y/o professional & Army Medic going pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denzian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I’m very new to this forum, but some of the stories that I’ve read have been inspiring to say the least! I’m a 28 year old male, and I’ve finally make the decision (after much soul-searching) to going back to school full-time to complete my pre-requisites for medical school.

Here’s my story: I graduated from the college in 2007 with a degree in Economics and Business Administration (3.25 cum GPA). My past medical experience includes two-tours of duty overseas as an Army medic, and three years as an EMT while attending college. My original undergraduate plan was pre-med when I first attended college (age 19), but my grades in the few science and math courses that I took weren’t stellar (B+ in BIO I, C in CHEM I, D+ in PRE-CALC). After returning from a second tour of duty overseas, I decided that a path in business may be more appropriate given my previous academic performance. My last two years in college I averaged a GPA of 3.4-3.7, and subsequently landed a job with a consulting firm in early 2008 after graduation. My current job is very rewarding in its own right, and I’ve gained a significant amount of professional experience along the way (analytical skills, delivering high-level presentations, team leading and mentoring, etc).

My current plan is to attend college for three semesters (with summer sessions), in order to complete the pre-requisites necessary for most medical schools. I reasonably project that my cumulative GPA will be around a 3.4-3.5, and my science GPA will be about the same (assuming high grades).

My goal is to obtain acceptance at my in-state medical school, but I do plan on applying broadly, and would also consider international if necessary. I currently have two good LOR from a physician and a PA while in the service performing as a Medic, and I anticipate a great LOR from my current employer.

I would love to hear feedback from anyone in this forum who has a similar experience, or if anyone has advice that would help me along the way. By the way..this is my first time EVER posting to a thread on the internet! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Denzian,

I was 30 when I left Active Duty to start on a second bachelor's degree and my prerequisites. I think you'll find that your deployment experiences will serve you well in your applications.

I felt as though I needed to do more than the prerequisites to show that I could handle the academics, which is why I opted for the second degree. But your cumulative gpa is much better than mine was when I went back.

I know a few 68/91 and 18-series medics who have made the jump to medical school. Just do the work in your classes and with the MCAT and you'll get there.

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck to you.

SFGuy,

Thank you for your insight..it sounds like you're well on your to achieving your goals. Have you been through any interviews yet?

So far I've had four interview invites, done two interviews, had one acceptance and waiting until March to hear back from the other school. It's a long and tedious process, but I'm really looking forward to finally starting medical school next fall.