29 on ACT?

pharmerB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to take the ACT and I got a 29. I don't know anyone who took the ACT so I don't know if that is good at all. I was reading around and saw it is above average. I got a 1760/1260 on the SAT as well. I just want to be a pharmacist and I do not know if these scores are high enough. I hope this doesnt break any of the rules by posting this. :/

THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

your ACT score will have no affect on you getting in to pharmacy school. A 29 is a fine score (at least it was when i applied). Its not super fantastic, but its not terrible. Youll get in to a college, which is all that matters. Once you are there you just need to perform well in your courses and future standardized tetsts (GRE, MCAT, whatever it may be) and you will get in to a pharmacy school.

I wouldn't worry about that. Personally, I got a 29 as well without doing any studying, and that is easily in the top 80% of college applicants

ACT/SAT scores don't matter for most schools, and aren't an indicator of your ability to get into a school. Your college GPA, however, does. It shows your ability to study and the effort you are willing to put in to receive an education.

Just work hard in college, and learn the material well so that when you are reviewing for the PCAT that you are just reviewing, not re-learning.

EDIT: I got ninja-ed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take it again to improve a little more, you almost always get a better score the second time. A 29's an awesome score, but if you're interested in honors programs and scholarships you want the best score you can possibly squeeze out. Most honors colleges like a 30 or higher.

29 is pretty good.

It depends what program you really want. 0+6 program? 2+4? or the regular program?

Because you can go a normal university to do the pre-req, take the PCAT, and go to pharmacy school with the regular program. 0+6 program is basically when you directly come from HS and go to the school and it guarantees admission to pharmacy school (need good SAT and GPA for this) w/o PCAT (depends)

Yeah I guess I would do the regular. But guaranteed admission to pharmacy school sounds good too. What kind of scores do I need for that?

I know this is almost three weeks old, but I thought I would chime in, mostly for the benefit of future readers.

Considering that in the year 2008, the average SAT score was 1511, and the average ACT score was 21.1, you're in good shape. And like others have mentioned, your ACT/SAT score does not matter if you decide to go to a university and take the pre-requisites before entering pharmacy school. They do matter, however, for 0+6 programs because those are the ones you get into straight from high school.

According to the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), there are nine 0+6 pharmacy programs. They are

1. Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Boston
  2. Northeastern University
  3. Ohio Northern University
  4. Philadelphia College of Pharmacy
  5. Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers University
  6. St. Johns University
  7. St. Louis College of Pharmacy
  8. The University of Findlay
  9. University of Rhode Island
Each school will have its own requirements, so what you should do is contact them and find out. There are also "early assurance" programs at several colleges of pharmacy across the US, which I won't list here because of space. I will, however, post the AACP's description of such programs because they have already explained it better than I could:

What is an "early assurance" program? How does it differ from a "0-6" program? In addition to the "0-6" programs listed above, there are many other pharmacy colleges and schools that offer "early assurance" (also known as "early admission") status for selected high school students. As with "0-6" programs, students who enroll under an "early assurance" program and successfully complete the first two years of pre-professional study, are guaranteed admission into the four-year professional pharmacy program. These programs are not categorized as "0-6" because the majority of students enrolled are admitted as "transfer" students after completion of at least two years of college.
You will find the information I just gave you, as well as the full list of colleges that have pharmacy school early assurance programs, at the AACP's website here. And as you make your way through the complex process that is pharmacy school admissions, the AACP's website (www.aacp.org) and the Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements (published by the AACP and available for free online) will be two of the most helpful resources you could have at your disposal. Use them.

Well I just want to do the pre pharmacy thing because I do not want to move out of state at the moment(I'm in NC) and I know I am not smart enough for those.

29 is excellent. I got a 28, and at the school I'm looking at for undergrad, that plus a 3.5 is enough to get into the Honors college.

Kickback noted that he got a 29 without studying. Did you study? If not, you could always study up and re-take to get even better. I plan on doing just that, because I got an atrocious score on the Math section.

^^^ meee too! i got a 23 on the math section lol. I completely forgot about trigonometry and that stuff. Nah I did not study. I don't really get studying for these tests. I guess i should though.

I'm sorry, but I got a 29 in middle school. It is not that impressive.

I know this is almost three weeks old, but I thought I would chime in, mostly for the benefit of future readers.

Considering that in the year 2008, the average SAT score was 1511, and the average ACT score was 21.1, you're in good shape. And like others have mentioned, your ACT/SAT score does not matter if you decide to go to a university and take the pre-requisites before entering pharmacy school. They do matter, however, for 0+6 programs because those are the ones you get into straight from high school.

According to the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP), there are nine 0+6 pharmacy programs. They are

1. Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences - Boston
  2. Northeastern University
  3. Ohio Northern University
  4. Philadelphia College of Pharmacy
  5. Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy at Rutgers University
  6. St. Johns University
  7. St. Louis College of Pharmacy
  8. The University of Findlay
  9. University of Rhode Island
Each school will have its own requirements, so what you should do is contact them and find out. There are also "early assurance" programs at several colleges of pharmacy across the US, which I won't list here because of space. I will, however, post the AACP's description of such programs because they have already explained it better than I could:

You will find the information I just gave you, as well as the full list of colleges that have pharmacy school early assurance programs, at the AACP's website here. And as you make your way through the complex process that is pharmacy school admissions, the AACP's website (www.aacp.org) and the Pharmacy School Admissions Requirements (published by the AACP and available for free online) will be two of the most helpful resources you could have at your disposal. Use them.

UOP also has a 3+3 program. Don't ask why I turned it down a few years ago... if you get into to those programs, go for it, regardless of whether you change your mind or not unless you're dead set against it... and most of the time you won't make up your mind until you're done exploring. Having a pharmD to fall back on is great. You don't have to worry about admissions again. Imo, the 4+3 program is the best because you get your bachelors (which gives you more options). Getting a guaranteed spot in a profession graduate program at the doctoral level is safer than getting a B.A./B.S. at a top undergraduate school. It's not as easy as high school where you can walk in and be a hot shot. I know I had to work my ___ off to get above a 3.6, esp. since the avg. science GPA at my school is a 2.9. And all of this is in conjunction with E.C.s. A laundry list doesn't cut it. You should be committed to whatever you pursue. For example, if you conduct research, be prepare to spend 15- 20 hrs a week in lab. Go for the safer route and get your pharmD. With the way to economy is, get your pharmD if you are offered admission. You may be naive about jobs at the moment, but when the real world hits, it hits hard. Good luck to you all!

I'm sorry, but I got a 29 in middle school. It is not that impressive.

Cool_story_bro_.jpg

Thats good! Just keep studying, just keep studying, just keep swimming. Take it again in Sept-my score increased 4 points from March to Sept.

A 29 is great. Don't let anyone tell you different.

29 is way above average (according to the ACT a 32 is ~99th percentile). If you're looking to get into a dual degree PharmD program, you would be a competitive applicant. I wouldn't send the 1760 SAT, as your ACT is way higher.

I would retake it if I were you, just to get better scholarships. I got a 31 without studying and the requirement for an awesome scholarship was 30. Unfortunately my high school GPA was off by 0.01 so I didn't get it...would have an extra $1000 a year in my pockets if I didn't slack off junior year :rolleyes:

A 29 is a great score. Probably the 95th percentile or somewhere around there. You'll be fine applying to colleges. Maybe take it once more to be sure.

Dude, I got a 24 and got into college then med school. Chill out.