29O, 3.0 GPA, Any Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I am non-trad applicant 4 years out of school. I graduated with a EE from a tech school with a 3.0C & 3.38S GPA. My MCAT is a 29O(11V, 9, 9) and I really don't want to have to take it again.

I work FT at a tech company(pretty big in the industry) as a HW Engineer and i just couldn't find post-bac classes to take before or after work. So i ended up having to study and take the MCAT w/o any bio or orgo.

Pretty avg EC's, Some shadowing so far, starting volunteering in the ER again next month(5 hours a week). I tutored all through college, 2 years at a neighborhood high school & 2 years at my school. I tutor tennis right now. I am planning on starting some research and 1 bio class next spring.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Your chances at MD are slim. So if you are really aversive to the idea of DO. I would retake the MCAT and aim for atleast 33ish. Since you have lower science scores, you have an advantage b/c those are easier to bring up. In addition, I would start taking some uppper division science courses and trying your best to bring you gpa to atleast 3.2/3.3 range. And then apply broadly....ur from california, so those schools are generaly very difficult. However, I have heard people with lower gpa's getting into UC's with high MCATs/alot of volunteer experience and great EC's. Also don't waste your money applying to schools like Harvard, Yale....etc. Its good to apply broadly, but aim for lower/middle tier schools. I hope that helps, good luck. Also try applying to SMP's as those are catered for people with decent MCAT/lower GPA's (this is assuming you take the MCATs and get a higher score).

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is fine for DO, as is your MCAT score. Actually your MCAT score is quite competitive for osteopathic, good job!No need to retake that, or any of your science classes.

But you do need good, long term (or at least many hours a week) volunteer activities that set you apart from others and that get you good letters. Your ER volunteering will be worthwhile if its a REAL medical experience, not delivering balloons to sick people. Can you work with the attending as a medical assistant? Can you get one-on-one patient interaction? Maybe look into programs like that in your city, and make sure your intention is to not only get the experience but a great letter of rec. Shadowing a DO in particular is good, as is research. All difficult to do while working full-time, but you can do it!

I think you're going to have to re-take the MCAT (taking it without biol & ochem was not a good move.. a 9 in biology is pretty low for matriculants) and quite a few post-bacc sciences if you want to get into an MD school.

sorry =\

I think you're going to have to re-take the MCAT (taking it without biol & ochem was not a good move.. a 9 in biology is pretty low for matriculants) and quite a few post-bacc sciences if you want to get into an MD school.

sorry =\

Agreed. Retake the MCAT, no matter how undesirable this scenario is, if you want allopathic acceptances.

GPA and MCAT aside, it will help if you take some classes now. I'm not sure how convinced med schools will be that you can handle the coursework after 4 years out of school.

Thank you guys for all the advice!!!

I am starting with Bio2 next semester and planning on more classes summer, Fall; Its just that waiting to get done with the classes and then taking the MCAT seemed like a non-starter; With my work schedule and all I just couldn't seem to find undergraduate classes morning or evening and within commutable distance.

I talked to my pre-med adviser and he told me its borderline MCAT but with everything else setting me apart as an applicant I might have a chance. I guess i'll apply next year and if I dont get in re-take and apply again....

ok I took a look at your medapps -- how come you did the MCAT twice without biol & orgo?

Your MCAT is borderline, and people have made it in to MD schools with lower, so you're right, it's not that bad, but it doesn't make up for your GPA which is what really needs a boost.

I understand it's hard finding classes to work around you're schedule, so is there anyway you could take a half-year or even a whole year away from work and just do school? I know that's probably asking a lot, but I really think it would be your best shot at boosting your application and could end up being well-worth the sacrifice.

What is "everything else" setting you apart as an applicant? EC's can make a huge difference in your app, so if you've got great ones, I would say you have a better chance than that based on grades alone.

What is "everything else" setting you apart as an applicant?
If you have more than what you list in you mdapps then that is good. But if all you have in your apps is the shadowing and tutoring, this is not setting you apart. You will need more ECs. For a grade that low as others have said you neet a higher MCAT. Plus some extra classes will help bring up your GPA a bit.

ok I took a look at your medapps -- how come you did the MCAT twice without biol & orgo?

I had no choice, I did try to take a class but I had to drop it midway because of my demanding job. With the whole economy going south and my boss then was not happy about me taking off.....

Your MCAT is borderline, and people have made it in to MD schools with lower, so you're right, it's not that bad, but it doesn't make up for your GPA which is what really needs a boost.
I agree, I finally worked things out so I could take a bio class nest semester, So on the path!!!

I understand it's hard finding classes to work around you're schedule, so is there anyway you could take a half-year or even a whole year away from work and just do school? I know that's probably asking a lot, but I really think it would be your best shot at boosting your application and could end up being well-worth the sacrifice.

You know I so wish I could afford to do it, With my personal situation its just not possible, Which is why I am fully prepared to not get in when I apply next cycle and in the meantime continue working on taking classes, boosting my GPA, EC's and apply again, To me right now, a year or two, if I could meet my obligations is worth it. I might change my mind but for now this seems like the best/safest route for me :)

What is "everything else" setting you apart as an applicant? EC's can make a huge difference in your app, so if you've got great ones, I would say you have a better chance than that based on grades alone.
If you have more than what you list in you mdapps then that is good. But if all you have in your apps is the shadowing and tutoring, this is not setting you apart. You will need more ECs. For a grade that low as others have said you neet a higher MCAT. Plus some extra classes will help bring up your GPA a bit.

By SDN standards i dont think i have great one :) however I do have more than what i listed and I am working on EC's currently. I have always been involved in community activities all through school & college so its like just a lifestyle activity for me, I just didnt list everything.