WAMC 3.0 cgpa 2.77 sgpa 2.97grad gpa 524 MCAT URM Non-Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docdoc912

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances?

I'm a non-trad, URM, first generation

Undergrad GPA: 3.0
Science GPA: 2.77
Grad GPA: 2.97
MCAT: 524

Tons of paid clinical hours
Tons of volunteering
Own a non-profit/charity geared toward helping Sickle Cell patients who are underserved
Some research no pubs
Have stories of why my GPAs suffered, worked full time through undergrad, gave birth during my Master's (upward trend in my masters if that matters)
I think my personal statement is amazing (I have a really good story of why I want to be a doctor)
Do I have a chance at MD or DO or will I be screened out? I'm really interested in urban medicine (not at all rural)
Should I apply this cycle? Get another Masters or do undergrad courses to bring up my science GPA, I'm so confused at this point any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where is your state of residence ? Which URM community are you from ? If Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish ?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive interviews but it is difficult to predict where with your GPA. Your MCAT of 524 will attract attention at some schools.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Indiana
West Virginia
Wayne State
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Charles Drew
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
TCU
Tulane
Miami
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
OU-HCOM
WVSOM
LECOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
UIWSOM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

You should receive interviews but it is difficult to predict where with your GPA. Your MCAT of 524 will attract attention at some schools.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Toledo
Wright State
NEOMED
Cincinnati
Ohio State
Indiana
West Virginia
Wayne State
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Charles Drew
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
TCU
Tulane
Miami
Emory
George Washington
Georgetown
Pittsburgh
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
OU-HCOM
WVSOM
LECOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
ACOM
WCU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
UIWSOM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Thank you so much!

What mentoring programs for aspiring Black physicians have you joined? Have you met any NMA mentors?

I agree you should have a champion team, and you're best chances are in state and HBCU programs.

What mentoring programs for aspiring Black physicians have you joined? Have you met any NMA mentors?

I agree you should have a champion team, and you're best chances are in state and HBCU programs.

I do have a few mentors and I am a member of SNMA. I talked to one who says I should take more classes to increase my GPA and another who is saying leave well enough alone and see what happens since I did so well on my MCAT. Just curious to see what other people think. I'm going to apply this cycle but don't know if I should take extra classes to raise either GPA or if my time and money would be better spent doing something else in case I have to reapply next cycle. Thank you for the advice.