2nd Cycle Med School Applicant, 1st Time DO Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJ Doc 1117

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN Community,

This will be my 2nd cycle applying, however I only applied MD last cycle, so this is my first DO cycle. I was in for a rude awakening applying MD last cycle, and thus I'm applying DO and looking forward to this cycle.

I was hoping for anyone (preferably accepted students/professionals) to comment on what you think my chances of getting into a (or several) DO schools are, as well as any reasonable schools I should apply to.

White middle-class NJ resident (so I'll apply to all of the schools in NJ)
3.49 cumulative GPA
3.30 sGPA
507 MCAT

Very good letters, including 1 from a DO
~400 research hours in 2 different labs (1 psych. 1 cardiac electrophysiology)
~250 hours of clinical volunteering
~6 hours (low, I know) of shadowing
~500 hours of non-clinical volunteering
~300 hours paid work (in finance, not medical)

If you need any more information just let me know! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Overall app looks okay. GPAs are lower than desireable, but not red flags imo. I'd try and get in a week or so of shadowing to bring those numbers up and keep yourself busy, as the very weak shadowing is the easiest thing to improve quickly. Other than that you look alright for DO schools and will likely get some love applying broadly enough. I'll leave where you should apply to others like Goro, but you'd probably be 50/50 for an interview at my school depending on how your complete app and secondary looks.

Reactions: 1 user
Overall app looks okay. GPAs are lower than desireable, but not red flags imo. I'd try and get in a week or so of shadowing to bring those numbers up and keep yourself busy, as the very weak shadowing is the easiest thing to improve quickly. Other than that you look alright for DO schools and will likely get some love applying broadly enough. I'll leave where you should apply to others like Goro, but you'd probably be 50/50 for an interview at my school depending on how your complete app and secondary looks.

How many schools do you think it would be appropriate to apply to? 15?

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to increase your shadowing hours. How does the trend of your GPA look?
What have you done over the past year to better your app?

How many schools do you think it would be appropriate to apply to? 15?

15 might be fine. I'd personally apply to 20 if it were me, but I also applied to a ton of schools. If you end up getting a bunch of interviews early you can always just not fill out more secondaries or turn down interviews once you're accepted.

You need to increase your shadowing hours. How does the trend of your GPA look?
What have you done over the past year to better your app?

GPA is strong upward. Underclass GPA was ~3.0 while upperclass is ~3.75. In the past year I finished a summer as a research assistant in a cardiology lab, a semester in a psych. lab, and a clinical internship at a very good hospital.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I will be getting a Master of Science in Law degree next year (1 year degree) at a great school.

I think your Master of Science in Law will not be very beneficial. I would apply to all DO like Goro suggested, and try to obtain more shadowing hours. If you could scribe, it would be super helpful imo