2nd time reapplying...apply now or wait??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optonyc47

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So two summers ago I applied for Optometry school and did not get the results I wanted. I'm pretty sure it was due to my OAT scores since I scored low on them. Since then I started an MPH program and I have decided to reapply to Optometry school. I'm getting tutoring now and I plan to retake my OAT. My biggest worry now is recommendation letters from academia. My top school only wants rec letters from science professors and to be honest it was a struggle two years ago to get letters. Also I plan on retaking my OAT in January so I'm not sure if its pushing the envelope on timing to apply. So my questions are:
1) Will science TAs ROL be okay to apply?
2) Am I applying to late and should I just wait another year?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you apply to?

If you don't mind me asking, which schools did you apply to?
So last time I applied to ICO, OSU, SUNY, NECO, SALUS and IUPR. I got waitlisted to NECO and accepted into IUPR and denied everywhere else lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don’t mind me asking, what are your stats (gpa & oat)? I plan on applying to ICO

Reactions: 1 user
1. You should contact your top schools directly to ask if they accept TA’s rec letters. Schools are generally pretty upfront to tell you what they want and do not want. Also, reach out to every science professors you had, I’m sure they’ve written plenty of letters before and they’re willing to write you one.

2. I don’t think January is too late to apply. Schools will still be interviewing. Things that are important are gpa and how you do on your OAT scores in January.

Did you at least get interviews the first time or were you denied straight away?