2nd year: balancing class and boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulscientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have started my second year and we just got through our first block of classes. I have been investing some of my time towards class ensuring I understand key principles, though devoting the majority of my time in studying for boards as in doing problems and identifying the topics that I need to learn more about (which involves getting a bit ahead, though this greatly decreases the stress of class blocks as it is more a review than frenzy to learn a huge amount of material). My process of looking into topics I need to learn more about involves studying from FA, filling in FA gaps with review books like Pathoma and Goljan, Pathoma, class syllabi. When I don't know something, I work to ensure I understand a process mechanistically rather than by memorization.

I did reasonably on the first exam (80%), 1SD below class average, though I balance class preparation with board preparation that I already know brings my scores down as I started doing this after our first block of classes last year and had similar results. When I say bringing my score down class-wise, it is usually to where I get an 80 or so on exams, not 70 that suggests that I am not adequately learning material in class as well. Essentially what is entailed in focusing more on boards is using the powerpoint slides as a guide to identify what else I need to learn more about (I don't watch lectures as I feel my time is better served by studying rather than passively taking in information).

I am looking towards the opinions of individuals who have already taken Step 1 towards this strategy. I feel it works for me, though outside opinions are appreciated as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can I clarify? Are you stating that you're doing below average in class?

Yes. In my first year, I was always at/above class average. I changed things up this year by preparing for blocks beforehand, not watching lectures, and putting more emphasis on board preparation rather than class preparation (so of course these are things I can tack on as needed). As a note, my school does not have a boards-focused curriculum. Some overlap, though as a comparison for my last year block of neuro, what we covered was maybe 50-70% of material in FA and a bit less organized than those tables in FA (I supplemented last year as well).

First priority: Study enough school relevant material to pass your classes
Second priority: Have you met priority #1? Then focus on boards as much as your heart desires.

Especially if your school is P/F... but even if it's not.