2nd Yr asking for LOR?

Started by boogah
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

boogah

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
I am currently a rising M2 and am doing research with a Neuroradiologist back in my home town over the summer. I was wondering if its okay to ask for a LOR that I may save (like a rough template)for when I am applying for residency (at which point I guess I would try to contact him again and have him look over the letter again?). I dont exactly know how this works or if this is even valuable to ask for a letter 2 years in advance. I hope my question isnt too convoluted...Any advice would be appreciated!
 
When you apply you will have to get a letter again, since it will have to be sent to your dean's office and put in ERAS (application service) along with your waiving a right to see it. You should just keep in contact with him, do a good job, and ask him near the end of 3rd year when the need arises.
 
I agree. I would stay in touch. Many program directors like letters from people who "know you," not just some radiologist you shadowed on an elective for 4 weeks. Stay in touch. Ask questions and advice, be professional, and when the time comes, ask for a "strong positive" letter.