2x2 picture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Livineasi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So - what's with the schools wanting a picture of me -- I understand that puts a face to the application, but doesn't that create some unfair prejudice?

Members don't see this ad.

So - what's with the schools wanting a picture of me -- I understand that puts a face to the application, but doesn't that create some unfair prejudice?

????? Do you think schools won't accept you because you're unattractive? Or worse yet... because you have bad teeth :eek: :confused: ?

Think about it this way... they're going to see you during the interview anyway (and I HIGHLY doubt that your looks are going to preclude you from getting an interview), so who cares if they want a picture of you?

You should use it to your advantage. I made myself tanner and wore a headband with a feather on it. It got me 17 interviews and 52 scholarships.

...what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Only if you're realllly ugly

Oh... and if you interview, will it really matter? You're not gonna wear a paper bag over your head during the interview.

they aren't going to check you against a "hot or not" rating scale or anything. I would at least look professional in the picture, though, and also smile.

I know they will see you in the interview -- but I think it's a proven fact that people judge you based on your appearance. That being said -- if you pic is sent with the initial app....you may never get the chance to interview.

that being said... the "hot or not" scale comment -- hillarious!

I know they will see you in the interview -- but I think it's a proven fact that people judge you based on your appearance. That being said -- if you pic is sent with the initial app....you may never get the chance to interview.

I guarantee your chances of getting an interview (given that the rest of your application is "strong" in the eyes of the adcom) are much better if you send in a piss-poor pic of yourself than if you didn't send in a pic at all...

Then again, it's your application and your decision, but it really should be the last thing you're worrying about. Let's face it... you're trying to get into a profession that essentially depends on face-to-face interaction with others. If you're already worried about how people are going to perceive your appearance at this stage in the game, what the hell are you going to do when it comes time to see patients? (and i don't think hiding behind a mask 24/7 is a good solution...)

I'm definitely sending in a photo -- I photograph pretty well actually --- just thought the subject was a good topic of conversation :D

haha ya... I heard this is becoming more and more important in the application process. It will almost be equivalent to the GPA. Insane huh?

100% yes it can.

think about it.... your success as a dentist is directly proportional to how damn cute you are. more success = higher income. that's more money the school will see when you when it comes time to donate to their campaign.

jb!:)

The photo is to help the adcoms remember who you are when they meet after your interview. It's nothing that will pre-screen you from getting an interview. Schools that don't request a photo will likely take your picture when you show up for the interview.

Look at the 2 x 2 glamour shot that got me in! :D

<------------------------

Members don't see this ad :)
The photo is to help the adcoms remember who you are when they meet after your interview. It's nothing that will pre-screen you from getting an interview. Schools that don't request a photo will likely take your picture when you show up for the interview.

Really? Like a headshot?
I never knew that.

think about it.... your success as a dentist is directly proportional to how damn cute you are. more success = higher income. that's more money the school will see when you when it comes time to donate to their campaign.

good point....agreed

i used to competitively body-build. will a picture of me flexing at a competition be acceptable, or are they looking for specifically a headshot?

1. not all schools require a 2x2 photo?
2. how do you know which ones do, and when to send it, because I don't trust AADSAS at all.

i used to competitively body-build. will a picture of me flexing at a competition be acceptable, or are they looking for specifically a headshot?

The schools want a 2x2 passport style head shot. Your muscles (and face for that matter) would look very small on a 2x2 full body shot.

1. not all schools require a 2x2 photo?
2. how do you know which ones do, and when to send it, because I don't trust AADSAS at all.

1. Correct, only some school require one, and some give an option.
2. There is a link in your AADSAS application (something about supplementals) that tells exactly what each school wants now, and later.

I dont know, my school started accepting them the year after I was accepted.

I honestly had the same question. It opens up room for prejudices and discrimination. It is a fair question to ask and I don't think it warranted some of the mean responses that were posted. :eek:

When I interviewed at Colorado the lady said they get all kinds of pics, including body shots from the beach.

I think that everyone has their own opinion to what is professional and acceptable. I model so I sent in one of my head shots. It looks classy to me so I sent it. Why not try to make a great first impression?

Unfortunately, looks do make a difference. When I went back to my favourite profs to ask for LOR's, every single one said: "Of course we remember you and your "insert curly hair, eyes etc." (I'll save you from the rest) I was so intrigued and I thought "so if I looked different they wouldn't have remembered me????" It is unfair, but true.

I think that everyone has their own opinion to what is professional and acceptable. I model so I sent in one of my head shots. It looks classy to me so I sent it. Why not try to make a great first impression?

Unfortunately, looks do make a difference. When I went back to my favourite profs to ask for LOR's, every single one said: "Of course we remember you and your "insert curly hair, eyes etc." (I'll save you from the rest) I was so intrigued and I thought "so if I looked different they wouldn't have remembered me????" It is unfair, but true.

WOW :scared:

Sad but true. Maybe this will work in your favor.

:)

Last edited:
Someone needs to buy a mirror~:rolleyes:

Being a CANADIAN, where we use BRITISH spelling, of course I would spell "favourite" with a "ou" not with just an "o". Its the proper form I have been taught. The later is AMERICAN. And no, it has nothing to do with modeling :) You just added to the stereotype that Americans don't pay attention to their northern neighb"ou"rs.

Being a CANADIAN, where we use BRITISH spelling, of course I would spell "favourite" with a "ou" not with just an "o". Its the proper form I have been taught. The later is AMERICAN. And no, it has nothing to do with modeling :) You just added to the stereotype that Americans don't pay attention to their northern neighb"ou"rs.
:)

Last edited:
Lol Thanks for picking up on that. I didn't know we were all going to be judged on our spelling here. From now on I will pay closer attention.

haha to add to the picking on ssb6, it's spelled "latter" not "later" :p

The same thing happened to me when I asked my profs for a LOR. They said "of course we remember you, MnBr63. You were so funny, cute, and tall and had all sorts of other great physical features...statuesque really. I thought I was teaching Michelangelo's David." (I'll save you the rest...but it went something along the lines of them asking if they could have a plaster cast of my face after I finished their class and something about naming their first born after me.)

JK:D

The same thing happened to me when I asked my profs for a LOR. They said "of course we remember you, MnBr63. You were so funny, cute, and tall and had all sorts of other great physical features...statuesque really. I thought I was teaching Michelangelo's David." (I'll save you the rest...but it went something along the lines of them asking if they could have a plaster cast of my face after I finished their class and something about naming their first born after me.)

JK:D

The same thing kinda happened to me too. I asked my OChem professor if she remembered me, and she was like, "Oh yeah, you're the guy with the giant caulk." I was like, "Um, yeah, that's me," but I didn't know what she was talking about. I never carried around a caulking gun (let alone, a giant caulking gun), and I've only used a caulking gun once in my life when I was fixing up my bathtub in an old apartment I lived in. So I don't know why I was known as the guy with the giant caulk. It's kind of bizarre, but nonetheless, she wrote me a pretty good LOR.

Oh, by the way, recaulking your bathtub and getting new shower curtains is a great and cheap way to improve the look of your bathroom.

The same thing kinda happened to me too. I asked my OChem professor if she remembered me, and she was like, "Oh yeah, you're the guy with the giant caulk."

:eek:

Oh, by the way, recaulking your bathtub and getting new shower curtains is a great and cheap way to improve the look of your bathroom.

Did that over the holidays my friend. You are spot on with that comment. :thumbup:

The same thing kinda happened to me too. I asked my OChem professor if she remembered me, and she was like, "Oh yeah, you're the guy with the giant caulk." I was like, "Um, yeah, that's me," but I didn't know what she was talking about. I never carried around a caulking gun (let alone, a giant caulking gun), and I've only used a caulking gun once in my life when I was fixing up my bathtub in an old apartment I lived in. So I don't know why I was known as the guy with the giant caulk. It's kind of bizarre, but nonetheless, she wrote me a pretty good LOR.

Hahaha. You guys are a funny bunch. :laugh:

Lol Thanks for picking up on that. I didn't know we were all going to be judged on our spelling here. From now on I will pay closer attention.

I was just joking with you

Last edited:
I was joking with you because your first post was pretty ridiculous; MnBr63 and phraud caught on as well :laugh:

I completely understand that it is ridiculous. I feel the same way. I was just sharing my experience and extending to other "predents" that in some cases your appearance can count for something, even if you don't know it! (As what happened to me) Sorry if it offended anyone. Remember to say "cheese" in your pic!

if someone could explain to me how americans can smile so it shows their molar teeth that would be cool.

when i smile only my top row to right before my molars show. like my mouth doesn't open that far

haha wierd Q's but all the pics i took with my friend show this. its sooo noticible

I completely understand that it is ridiculous. I feel the same way. I was just sharing my experience and extending to other "predents" that in some cases your appearance can count for something, even if you don't know it! (As what happened to me) Sorry if it offended anyone. Remember to say "cheese" in your pic!

:confused:...............

Its not the fact that the prof remembered you because of how you looked but rather how you described it. The parodies were directed towards the gloating part and that the story could have been told with a little more humility.

Its not the fact that the prof remembered you because of how you looked but rather how you described it. The parodies were directed towards the gloating part and that the story could have been told with a little more humility.

Really? I thought people were making fun because she isn't as pretty as she describes herself.

jk :D

True. Totally agree! :thumbup: (2x2 pic is just as important as DAT!)

Last edited:

Speak for yourself, my last post was a completely true story I made up.

if someone could explain to me how americans can smile so it shows their molar teeth that would be cool.

when i smile only my top row to right before my molars show. like my mouth doesn't open that far

haha wierd Q's but all the pics i took with my friend show this. its sooo noticible

Really? :confused:

I'm still trying to visualize what you describe, and how it is solely an American thing. We really smile different?