3.0/510/URM Looking for an idea of where to go from here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phenylalligator

Reaction score
First two years of college were god-awful for a lot of reasons so I had a 1.7 at the end of Fall, Sophomore year. Spent a year retaking classes and graduated with a 3.5 after five years of school. Problem is, that doesn't really mean anything here. GPA for AMCAS purposes at that point was 2.97. So during the lockdown I took a few more post-bacc classes and got it up to a 3.0.

Everything else is as it should be I think?

State: Texas.

MCAT: I had an old MCAT that was a 508 with a 121 C/P (121/129/129/129 if you can believe it -__-), which prompted me to retake. 2nd attempt was a 510 but C/P went up to 126.

Research I: 500 hours clinical research with a pub. Around 30% of that was working directly with patients (we had non-patient participants as well).

Research II: 400 wet lab research, sadly COVID put an end to that before I could get a chance to write :(

Leadership/Volunteering: I was the Community Service Director for our African and Arabic student orgs for three years. I participated in most of the service events I put together...around 400 hours total (non-clinical)

Other Activities: During the last year I've been working in elder care, about 600 hours so far. Don't know if this is clinical or not tbh. It's low mobility folks (Parkinson's, things like that) and I help them with tasks they can't do on their own--meds, BP, take them on walks, chores, bathroom, etc.

Shadowing: For shadowing I rounded with the Docs and Students at our hospital when I was doing research. Maybe around 40 hours?

Ethnicity: Black/Ethiopian

I started applying and have been going through the process (both DO and MD, but I don't want to post this twice in both forums), but I'm beginning to have strong second thoughts. I am considering an SMP or more post-bacc classes. The question is should I scrap the current apps or finish secondaries and go through with it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you only applying to your Texas schools ? If so, finish the secondaries for those schools. It would be a good strategy to do a DIY post bacc at a local college in the coming year and take enough undergraduate level science courses in order to increase your sGPA to 3.0 . The GPA-MCAT grid for black applicants shows that those with a GPA between 3.0 and 3.2 and a MCAT of 510 have a ~75% chance for a MD acceptance. You should also accumulate 200+ hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact in the coming year.