3.0 cGPA, 2.3 cGPA, 33 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xDriftAway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Come from a prestigious university, excellent extracurriculars and LORs. I think I've taken too many credits for a post-bacc to have any impact on my GPA; I was thinking I should do an SMP? What about my chances at the Big 4 Caribbean schools? Any advice about what I should do now is appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Come from a prestigious university, excellent extracurriculars and LORs. I think I've taken too many credits for a post-bacc to have any impact on my GPA; I was thinking I should do an SMP? What about my chances at the Big 4 Caribbean schools? Any advice about what I should do now is appreciated. Thanks

If you're interested in a SMP, UNTHSC in Fort Worth has a great program! Personal experience. Im applying to med school this year so I can't say I've had personal success just yet in that regards but plenty of friends who had less than stellar undergrad GPA's that got into TCOM and other TX schools after completing med sci. I hope it works out for you, I had a similar undergrad science GPA and way worse MCAT and got into the program. It definitely boosted my overall GPA a great deal from being in the program. I've also had a lot of success building relationships with the faculty and have gotten a lot of opportunities to strengthen other parts of my application as well. I'm not sure if I'm one to speak but I just wanted to throw in my two cents about the med sci program. Perhaps someone can give you more insight on the Big 4 Carib school but I've been strongly advised against it.

Your GPAs are lethal for MD and DO schools. If you retake all F/D/C science coursework, grade replacement does wonders for the old GPA. then DO schools are in reach.

Your chances for Carib diploma mills are excellent as long as you're breathing and can write a tuition check. I hope you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPAs are lethal for MD and DO schools. If you retake all F/D/C science coursework, grade replacement does wonders for the old GPA. then DO schools are in reach.

Your chances for Carib diploma mills are excellent as long as you're breathing and can write a tuition check. I hope you like the idea of being unemployed and deeply in debt.

Goro, I've taken 200+ units and graduated from college already. I'm afraid a post-bacc program won't raise my GPA by much since I've taken so many units. On the upside, I've retaken all my D's and F's, but I have a lot of C's. Do you think an SMP would be a wise decision in my circumstances? Thank you.

Raising the GPA isn't the issue, it's rather showing Adcoms that you can handle a rigorous med school curriculum. An SMP, preferably one with linkage to a med school (like, say, Mt Sinai, PCOM, Drexel or G-town) is the best thing to aim for because it's an audition for med school. Ace that, and MCAT, and there are MD schools (and all DO schools), that reward reinvention.

Goro, I've taken 200+ units and graduated from college already. I'm afraid a post-bacc program won't raise my GPA by much since I've taken so many units. On the upside, I've retaken all my D's and F's, but I have a lot of C's. Do you think an SMP would be a wise decision in my circumstances? Thank you.

I just noticed I made a typo in the title. I have a 3.03 cGPA, 2.3 sGPA, and 33 MCAT. I'm afraid my science GPA is too low? :( Will SMPs overlook this? I've always thought that SMPs are mainly for people with low overall GPAs and high MCATs, since all of the SMP websites only list 1 GPA. They don't specify if the "3.0 minimum GPA" is science or overall.

Last edited:
I just noticed I made a typo in the title. I have a 3.03 cGPA, 2.3 sGPA, and 33 MCAT. I'm afraid my science GPA is too low? :( Will SMPs overlook this? I've always thought that SMPs are mainly for people with low overall GPAs and high MCATs, since all of the SMP websites only list 1 GPA. They don't specify if the "3.0 minimum GPA" is science or overall.

Low GPA's in general are what SMPs are for. But there's a difference between a 3.2/3.1 candidate and a 3.0/2.3 like you. The former is a good candidate for an SMP with a good MCAT score. The latter regardless of MCAT score isn't attractive to SMPs. SMP's want people who think they can succeed in their programs. A 2.3 sGPA is not indicative of someone with a strong chance for success. What you need is at least a year's worth of strong work in science courses. It's not about the overall GPA .It's about establishing an upward trend to show you've changed as a student and can handle undergrad courses. Once you do that, you can get SMP's to show more interest in you. But even then there are no guarantees.

If your sGPA is a 2.3 after retaking all your D's and F's that's indicative of getting a C in tons of your science courses. And even all the more the reason to have a couple semesters of a strong showing in undergrad science courses before getting an SMP program interested in you.

Your sGPA is 2.3 with the retakes? Did you not get As when you retook the classes? You need to be realistic when thinking about SMP programs. They are really expensive. You would be competing with first year med students ( effectively trying out for med school) and you have to get 3.7+. Be truthful with yourself- how likely is that to happen when you didn't get As in pre reqs on retakes. Oh and you'll most likely have to retake the MCAT too since by the time you are ready to apply yours will most likely be expired.