3.0 cGPA and 505 MCAT, should I apply??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mypremedstory1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN, hope everyones staying safe!

cGPA: 3.0 sGPA: 2.9 MCAT: 505

Currently my stats are on the lower end, 3.0 cGPA and 2.9 sGPA with an MOUNTAIN of an upward trend (3.8 my last 1.3 years). Also I did a DIY post bacc, with classes mentioned by people on this site, with some high level science classes, as well as retook the classes I had issues with for A's. I recently took my MCAT and received a 505 (not to thrilled about that).

As far as EC's go here are the gist of it:

-200+ non-clinical volunteering in activities such as tutoring, mentoring, an charitable volunteering
-100+ hours of shadowing
-2000+ hours Paid clinical experience as an EMT-B and medical scribe
-200+ hours Clinical volunteering
- 2 teacher LOR & 1 LOR from MD and DO (Strong)
-100+ hours of research experience, no publication

My question is would it be advisable to apply this cycle DO/MD (I know I would be late as well), and if so what schools should I target?

Thank you in advance for your help :))

(@Goro @Faha I would really appreciate some input from you guys if possible)

Members don't see this ad.

What was your post bacc GPA? I assume your post bacc grades are figured into your posted GPAs. I’d take a couple of additional courses and get your GPAS above or near 3.2 so you aren’t screened outputted probably are okay for DO schools without doing that. Good luck!

What was your post bacc GPA? I assume your post bacc grades are figured into your posted GPAs. I’d take a couple of additional courses and get your GPAS above or near 3.2 so you aren’t screened outputted probably are okay for DO schools without doing that. Good luck!

Yes I'm sorry I added them into my GPA, but took 3 classes at local colleges and got straight As in all of them. And thank you for the response! I just wanted to know if it would be a waste of time and money to apply this cycle with my current stats

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not competitive for any MD schools and for DO your only chance would be the newer schools. You would be better off to take additional undergraduate level science courses at a local college and increase your sGPA to 3.0 . Then you could apply broadly to DO schools next June.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey SDN, hope everyones staying safe!

cGPA: 3.0 sGPA: 2.9 MCAT: 505

Currently my stats are on the lower end, 3.0 cGPA and 2.9 sGPA with an MOUNTAIN of an upward trend (3.8 my last 1.3 years). Also I did a DIY post bacc, with classes mentioned by people on this site, with some high level science classes, as well as retook the classes I had issues with for A's. I recently took my MCAT and received a 505 (not to thrilled about that).

As far as EC's go here are the gist of it:

-200+ non-clinical volunteering in activities such as tutoring, mentoring, an charitable volunteering
-100+ hours of shadowing
-2000+ hours Paid clinical experience as an EMT-B and medical scribe
-200+ hours Clinical volunteering
- 2 teacher LOR & 1 LOR from MD and DO (Strong)
-100+ hours of research experience, no publication

My question is would it be advisable to apply this cycle DO/MD (I know I would be late as well), and if so what schools should I target?

Thank you in advance for your help :))

(@Goro @Faha I would really appreciate some input from you guys if possible)
There's no need to rush this process (so apply early next cycle). Take additional science classes to raise your GPAs above a 3.0.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes I'm sorry I added them into my GPA, but took 3 classes at local colleges and got straight As in all of them. And thank you for the response! I just wanted to know if it would be a waste of time and money to apply this cycle with my current stats
Most like it will be a waste of money to apply now. Fix the issues and submit with the best application possible!

Reactions: 1 users
You need to take a gap year and bring your gpa >3.2. Take as many science classes you can take even at community college. Don't waste money applying this year and chances are slim you will be accepted and you gonna be a re-applicant for next year.
Take at least 25-30 units this year and try to get all A's.
At least your mcat and EC are great.
You are not competitive for MD at all.
All the best.