3.0 gpa Overall. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scurred09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was not focus during my undergraduate studies and ended up with a 2.68 gpa. After incorporating the pre-reqs that I have taken since then; it moved up to about 3.0- 3.1 at most. I could retake some classes that I made C's in during my undergrad. but I'm not sure if they take the average or will they take the most recent grade. From reading some of the postings on here, the consensus is that the most recent grade is used for calcuation but is that an assumption or a fact? Is this true for all D.O. school? Although my overall is nothing to "wow" anyone but my last 30 units, science and pre-reqs gpa should be over 3.5. With a B.S. degree in Business and soon to be EMT-B; what are my chances getting into any school at all? By the way, I have no yet taken the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

I was not focus during my undergraduate studies and ended up with a 2.68 gpa. After incorporating the pre-reqs that I have taken since then; it moved up to about 3.0- 3.1 at most. I could retake some classes that I made C's in during my undergrad. but I'm not sure if they take the average or will they take the most recent grade. From reading some of the postings on here, the consensus is that the most recent grade is used for calcuation but is that an assumption or a fact? Is this true for all D.O. school? Although my overall is nothing to "wow" anyone but my last 30 units, science and pre-reqs gpa should be over 3.5. With a B.S. degree in Business and soon to be EMT-B; what are my chances getting into any school at all? By the way, I have no yet taken the MCAT.

This is true for all DO schools; MD schools will take the average of the two.

There's really no way to know what your chances are without an MCAT score; with a high 20s or low 30s, a good upward GPA trend, and good clinical ECs, I think you'd stand a reasonable chance.

If you are set on applying DO, definately retake the classes in which you are SURE you can improve your previous grade.
Medical schools definately like an upward trend!
Your experience as an EMT shows good leadership experience, interest in community service, and would most likely suffice as medical/clinical experience. If you have not already, try and get some shadowing under your belt.
With your GPA, study your tail off and take an MCAT course. Itll really help you, especially since you may not have grasped the info the first time around. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You've done a nice job of getting your GPA above a 3.0. Considering the good grades you've gotten in your recent coursework, if you do very well on the MCAT, you'll have a shot at getting into a DO school. This is, of course, provided you have all the usual extracurricular experiences of community service, clinical experience, and leadership. Being an EMT is a great way to get clinical experience, but it only helps you only if you use the certification in a volunteer or paid positiion.

DO schools are getting more and more competitive. The mean GPA for acceptees is 3.45 and MCAT 25.5. To compensate for the low GPA, aim for an MCAT of 29-30.

Here is a booklet with all DO schools and their requirements for application. Note that many accept applications if your GPA is over 3.0:
http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2009/2009_CIB_web.pdf

Hey Mobius1985,
Thank you for the encouragement! I just found out that I passed the EMT exam this morning. I'm going to spend this year volunteering in the ER. Once again, thanks to everyone for their guidance.